Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 09:56 AM

248 posts, read 805,785 times

Advertisements

Yankee - I loved reading your post... very nice writing technique! Alstead might be able to make it on our trip, I will circle it for a possiblity to drive through. It does sound great! ( I loved the way you described it!!)

Dare, thank you for that heads up on the construction on the main road in Littleton. You are always so informative and considerate! : After looking at the map though, it may be a little too far north for us. We have family in NJ and I want to stay with 6 hours for traveling (driving).... I'm thinking maybe Belmont... and once we see the roads.. Bristol as our farthest north we can look.

I'm starting to map out our trip, and I can't wait for that time to come up and see! I noticed that someone mentioned that Chichester and Epsom would be some great towns to see... does anyone know anything about them? Geography? School systems?

PS... I'll be looking for a teaching job and my husband is going to try to get into Police, Sheriff work. (If that helps!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 10:29 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,180,700 times
dzmjp - I hear ya on the travel time! It takes us 4.5 to 5 hours (depending on traffic closer to NY) to get back to our old "stomping grounds" for a visit with one group of relatives; to get to another it takes 3 to 3.5 hours because there's no "direct route" from here. Sometimes I wish we had an Amtrak station up here

Old 08-24-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
dzmjp - I hear ya on the travel time! It takes us 4.5 to 5 hours (depending on traffic closer to NY) to get back to our old "stomping grounds" for a visit with one group of relatives; to get to another it takes 3 to 3.5 hours because there's no "direct route" from here. Sometimes I wish we had an Amtrak station up here
That would be nice, and a great "adventure" for little ones!

Old 08-28-2008, 02:52 PM

141 posts, read 282,679 times
Smile Everyone is so helpful on this forum! Thank You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzmjp View Post
Yankee - I loved reading your post... very nice writing technique! Alstead might be able to make it on our trip, I will circle it for a possiblity to drive through. It does sound great! ( I loved the way you described it!!)

Dare, thank you for that heads up on the construction on the main road in Littleton. You are always so informative and considerate! : After looking at the map though, it may be a little too far north for us. We have family in NJ and I want to stay with 6 hours for traveling (driving).... I'm thinking maybe Belmont... and once we see the roads.. Bristol as our farthest north we can look.

I'm starting to map out our trip, and I can't wait for that time to come up and see! I noticed that someone mentioned that Chichester and Epsom would be some great towns to see... does anyone know anything about them? Geography? School systems?

PS... I'll be looking for a teaching job and my husband is going to try to get into Police, Sheriff work. (If that helps!)
I really appreciate how helpful and kind everyone is on this board! It is very refreshing and pleasant. Littleton and Alstead sound so scerene and quaint! My husband and I are looking forward to visiting this fall, which is not far off! Thanks again everyone!

Old 08-31-2008, 03:24 PM

141 posts, read 282,679 times
Smile Is Derry a Quaint Town?

This thread is such a resource and I appreciate everyones feedback. Would anyone consider Derry a good town for a few acres and is it safe and quaint?

Does Derry Fit the Bill as a old fashioned town?

Old 08-31-2008, 03:33 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,042,312 times
Derry has grown a lot and is I think now tied for the 3rd largest 'city'. So I'm not sure how well 'old fashioned' and 'quaint' it would be. Maybe Londonderry?

Pretty much all the towns in NH are safe - crime is very low compared to most other states.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:07 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,960,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
So do I. It would make planning a trip to NH much easier.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:10 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,956,559 times
Sandbarcreek, while I don't think Derry would fit the description of an old-fashioned town by New Hampshire standards, the majority of homes in town have at least an acre, some with much more. It's one of the few NH towns with a downtown (which I actually visit quite often) with several restaurants, a bakery, a music store, couple gift shops, antique shop, etc) It's nice to be able to get things done by parking at one end, and walking up one side of the street and down the other.

I think there are a couple of streets close to the downtown area where teenagers tend to hang around (normal...) and there may be mischief going on... IMO, overall, it's a very safe town. NH has a different yardstick for quaint measurability

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbarcreek View Post
This thread is such a resource and I appreciate everyones feedback. Would anyone consider Derry a good town for a few acres and is it safe and quaint?

Does Derry Fit the Bill as a old fashioned town?

Old 09-03-2008, 10:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,536 times
dzmjp you should check out Hopkinton

Old 09-04-2008, 02:09 PM

Talking On the list - thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathano55 View Post
dzmjp you should check out Hopkinton
Thank you! I'm highlighting out trip out over the next couple weeks! Thank you - And just to tie this in with the thread , what about Hopkinton gives it a small town America feel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire