Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 05:18 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,180,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbarcreek View Post
Hi Dare! We also may be one of those who finally find their dream home in New Hampshire! We are seriously looking near Hanover and also near the Woodstock area! Hope to hear more from you soon!
Sandbar - I hope you are able to make your dream come true! I haven't spent any time in Hanover or Woodstock, so I can't say anything about those places....just some of the areas further north
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Dare it also does appear New Hampshire's population is benefiting from those who have been fed up with their State and Local Income and Sales Tax.

Beyond that the North Country in New Hampshire is a beautiful as it gets.
Comet - That was one of our reasons for relocating up here. Plus, at least in Littleton, the price of a house was much cheaper than it would have been in the Mid-Hudson region of NYS, especially when property, state, county and local taxes were factored in. If we were to have found a house similar to the one we bought here in Littleton, it would have cost us at least twice as much, maybe even 2.5 to 3 times as much, not factoring in the taxes....

My ex-husband and I had bought a house back in the early 80's - we paid 54K for it and it needed quite a bit of work. When we divorced, in 1998, we sold the house for 135K (and that was less than the market value just so we could get rid of it)....the people who bought it from us then sold it for 225K....the people who bought it from them paid 325K for it! It was not worth anywhere near that (unless they did something spectacular to the inside!)

That house had less square footage than our house in Littleton had less than 1/3 acre of land.....it's just plain crazy in NY, although they do say the prices in that are are coming down now - that area was a "bubble area" (or whatever the term is <g>)

Old 11-06-2008, 05:28 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,965,177 times
Question Shopping near the Littleton Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Sandbar - I hope you are able to make your dream come true! I haven't spent any time in Hanover or Woodstock, so I can't say anything about those places....just some of the areas further north
Hi Dare! How often do you go to Bethlehem or surrounding areas like Lancaster or where would you say is the most convenient place to shop and stock up when living near the Littleton Area?

Thanks Dare!

Old 11-06-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Hi Dare! How often do you go to Bethlehem or surrounding areas like Lancaster or where would you say is the most convenient place to shop and stock up when living near the Littleton Area?

Thanks Dare!
Hiya Comet - Depending on our work schedules we go to Bethlehem a couple of times a month, usually. It was kinda funny - I had an upper respiratiorn thing going on about a month ago and one ear that wouldn't unclog - my husband decided we should go to Bethlehem with the ups and downs in the road to see if that would unclog my ear..it did!

I've only been to Lancaster once, unfortunately - I'd like to go back and "explore" it more. We do our shopping at Shaw's - if you have their card, you can find some good deals. Porfido's (on Main Street) sometimes has some good deals on milk and sometimes meats. There's a Super Walmart in Woodsville, but we haven't been there yet. We've also been to, I think it's the P&C Market in Lincoln and found some good deals with their card. We get fliers from Shaw's and the P&C Market, so we usually compare, factor in the gas, etc., and go from there when deciding on "deals."

In the summer and fall, there's a Farmer's Market. This spring a co-op is scheduled to open, too. Hopefully it will give Shaw's some competition price-wise. There's a grocery store in St. Johnsbury that's supposed to have good prices, but I can't remember the name of it! There's also a Discount Food place here in Littleton that we went to a couple of times, but you have to be careful there - quite a bit of their stuff is past the expiration date and you never know what they'll have, so we haven't been back.

The Dollar Tree in town is now selling frozen foods - they have quite a few frozen veggies and if we need the frozen veggies, we get them there - Everything in the store is $1 or less (unlike the Dollar Stores).

I wish we had a Costco or a BJ's nearby - I don't know where the closest one is...I really should search that on the internet.

One thing that we cannot find up here, and that my husbands LOVES is Wheatena! We have people send it to us from NY or order it off the internet...never thought Wheatena would be a hard item to find!

Old 11-06-2008, 10:02 PM

Question Thanks for the HEads Up Dare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Hiya Comet - Depending on our work schedules we go to Bethlehem a couple of times a month, usually. It was kinda funny - I had an upper respiratiorn thing going on about a month ago and one ear that wouldn't unclog - my husband decided we should go to Bethlehem with the ups and downs in the road to see if that would unclog my ear..it did!

I've only been to Lancaster once, unfortunately - I'd like to go back and "explore" it more. We do our shopping at Shaw's - if you have their card, you can find some good deals. Porfido's (on Main Street) sometimes has some good deals on milk and sometimes meats. There's a Super Walmart in Woodsville, but we haven't been there yet. We've also been to, I think it's the P&C Market in Lincoln and found some good deals with their card. We get fliers from Shaw's and the P&C Market, so we usually compare, factor in the gas, etc., and go from there when deciding on "deals."

In the summer and fall, there's a Farmer's Market. This spring a co-op is scheduled to open, too. Hopefully it will give Shaw's some competition price-wise. There's a grocery store in St. Johnsbury that's supposed to have good prices, but I can't remember the name of it! There's also a Discount Food place here in Littleton that we went to a couple of times, but you have to be careful there - quite a bit of their stuff is past the expiration date and you never know what they'll have, so we haven't been back.

The Dollar Tree in town is now selling frozen foods - they have quite a few frozen veggies and if we need the frozen veggies, we get them there - Everything in the store is $1 or less (unlike the Dollar Stores).

I wish we had a Costco or a BJ's nearby - I don't know where the closest one is...I really should search that on the internet.

One thing that we cannot find up here, and that my husbands LOVES is Wheatena! We have people send it to us from NY or order it off the internet...never thought Wheatena would be a hard item to find!
Great Heads Up Dare! By the way, are there any local food alliances your way near Littleton? You mentioned the Farmer's Market. Would there be any "sustainable Local Growing Farms your way?

Old 11-07-2008, 06:43 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,275,005 times
Dare- for the grocery store in StJ, it's either White's Market or Price Chopper. The closest BJs to you would be down in Tilton, just off the interstate exit. Your closest Costco would be either Burlington/Colchester (VT) or Nashua.
Farmers Markets are great in the summer. Usually towns have them on different days, so you can hit up more than one per week. St. J has a really good one.
For your Wheatena fix....give Natural Provisions in StJ a call. Maybe they carry it?

Old 11-07-2008, 02:03 PM

141 posts, read 282,662 times
Quote:
Great Heads Up Dare! By the way, are there any local food alliances your way near Littleton? You mentioned the Farmer's Market. Would there be any "sustainable Local Growing Farms your way?
In Montana and Idaho we have lots of food alliances and sustainable farming. It is truly an American concept and I hope to find that in Northern New Hampshire.

If anyone has information about this in New Hampshire! Thanks for the post Mr Comet!

Old 11-07-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
In Montana and Idaho we have lots of food alliances and sustainable farming. It is truly an American concept and I hope to find that in Northern New Hampshire.

If anyone has information about this in New Hampshire! Thanks for the post Mr Comet!
Kind of you to say that Sandbar! I am not sure about food alliances in New Hampshire. But I guess you can google it. However, I do know that there are several Dairy Associations and many Cheese makers. But as far as growers I am not sure. Maybe it is because of our cold winters!

Old 11-07-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Also maybe Dare or Vter would know????

Old 11-07-2008, 06:01 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,275,005 times
Are you talking about Community Supported Agriculture (aka CSAs?). There is a large "network" of them in Vermont: VAAFM - Where to Find a Vermont CSA . Caledonia County is the county that abuts Littleton.
I can't find a similar type website for NH, but did come across the following one which covers CSAs nationally: Community Supported Agriculture - LocalHarvest . Just put in littleton, NH and it will spit out the closest farms that participate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire