Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2008, 08:27 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbarcreek View Post
Yes Mr Comet Exeter is a very lovely place. I like the schools there and the fact it is still not so liberal there!
Although I do like Exeter it does not have a good home town retro diner, as does Derry. Mary Ann's Diner k:is by far the best diner in New England and does add a lot to Derry! But Drry IMHO has lost that small town feeling because of the suburban sprawl! And the Pinkerton Academy is way to big and Grotesque
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 09:15 AM

141 posts, read 282,572 times
Default Derry vs Exeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Although I do like Exeter it does not have a good home town retro diner, as does Derry. Mary Ann's Diner k:is by far the best diner in New England and does add a lot to Derry! But Drry IMHO has lost that small town feeling because of the suburban sprawl! And the Pinkerton Academy is way to big and Grotesque
I will have to tell my husband abouy Maryann,s diner. Getting back to Exeter can you find acreage lots in town suitable for having a horse? Actually way up in Littleton I think you can & it is a good sized community.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:33 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbarcreek View Post
I will have to tell my husband abouy Maryann,s diner. Getting back to Exeter can you find acreage lots in town suitable for having a horse? Actually way up in Littleton I think you can & it is a good sized community.
I saw a sign somewhere in the Littleton/Bethlehem/Lisbon area (I can't remember where exactly) where property was for sale and suitable for horses....If I remember correctly, it looked like the people selling had 2 or 3 horses.....this was last year, though......There was also a "deer farm" for sale...not sure if either of them are still available, though.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:08 PM

Smile Wells & Basements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
I saw a sign somewhere in the Littleton/Bethlehem/Lisbon area (I can't remember where exactly) where property was for sale and suitable for horses....If I remember correctly, it looked like the people selling had 2 or 3 horses.....this was last year, though......There was also a "deer farm" for sale...not sure if either of them are still available, though.
Hi Dare! Sorry we did not make it up to your neck of the woods! I hope to be there soon though!

I do believe there is many properties which would be suitable for horses, as long as you have a good set up for the winters, as they can be harsh on the animals etc.

However, I was wondering about how deep one has to drill for a decent well? Actually in some areas of New Hampshire like Exeter, you only need to dig 10 feet or even less, as the water tables are so high. I prefer a deeper water table, as I hate wet basements! Do you have a dry basement? If so how deep is your well and your basement?

Thanks Dare!

Old 11-16-2008, 04:06 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Hi Dare! Sorry we did not make it up to your neck of the woods! I hope to be there soon though!

I do believe there is many properties which would be suitable for horses, as long as you have a good set up for the winters, as they can be harsh on the animals etc.

However, I was wondering about how deep one has to drill for a decent well? Actually in some areas of New Hampshire like Exeter, you only need to dig 10 feet or even less, as the water tables are so high. I prefer a deeper water table, as I hate wet basements! Do you have a dry basement? If so how deep is your well and your basement?

Thanks Dare!
Aww, c'mon, tell the truth Comet -You were afraid to come up here

We're in the town, so have the town water, but when we rented, the house had a well, the foundation was stone (and frankly not too 'sturdy' any more), but there was no water in that basement while we were there from April to February. I don't know how deep the well was, though....Sorry I can't be more help!

Last edited by DareToDream; 11-16-2008 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: can't spell <g>

Old 11-16-2008, 05:09 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
in Derry, my artesian well was 200 feet deep and my basement was never wet - neighbors on both sides of me had wet basements.

we had to put in a new well pump once and I dug up the well head. At least I thought I was...turned out it was the wrong place and did not match up to the map from the town clerk's office. What I found was amazing! an underground cavern with a pool hiding under my front lawn. Water was running in one side and out the other and came up in the street in front of my house. That was a common accident scene as the town could not keep up with the ice forming on the road during winter. No wonder the neighbors basements were wet!

To make a long story short, the real well head was about 50 feet over ...

My current home has a well that is less than 90 feet deep but I have a lot of iron in the water, so I installed a water softener. My neighbor across the street and neighbors in either side don't have a problem with iron at all. Again, dry basement.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
in Derry, my artesian well was 200 feet deep and my basement was never wet - neighbors on both sides of me had wet basements.

we had to put in a new well pump once and I dug up the well head. At least I thought I was...turned out it was the wrong place and did not match up to the map from the town clerk's office. What I found was amazing! an underground cavern with a pool hiding under my front lawn. Water was running in one side and out the other and came up in the street in front of my house. That was a common accident scene as the town could not keep up with the ice forming on the road during winter. No wonder the neighbors basements were wet!

My current home has a well that is less than 90 feet deep but I have a lot of iron in the water, so I installed a water softener. My neighbor across the street and neighbors in either side don't have a problem with iron at all. Again, dry basement.
Just curious Buck, does the iron impact the viscosity or color of the water? Can you taste it?

A lot of areas in NH have shallow water tables, as throughout the state there is so much ground water, bogs, lakes etc. My wife really wants a home in Exeter but it has been difficult to find one with a poured concrete basement and radiant heat. Many older homes are made of stone and were hand dug. Because so many older homes were hand dug the ceiling of the basements are low. Especially for a 6' guy like me.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:21 PM

141 posts, read 282,572 times
Default Derry

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post

Hi Buck! Would you say Derry still has that small town feel?

Old 11-17-2008, 02:16 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
sandbar, I hope you don't mind if I answer your Q about Derry. I live in the next town over (Londonderry) and have to say that Derry doesn't feel small town any longer. It's actually quite built up and *almost* feels like a city.
The downtown area can get quite congested ESPECIALLY from 4-6 PM and on Saturday mornings, but because not many NH towns HAVE what I consider an old-fashioned downtown, I make it a point to support local businesses as often as possible. Places like the Costume Gallery, the bakery, the music store, etc. I really enjoy having the option NOT to go into Walmart, Sears or any other franchise/national chain.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:27 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
Derry is tied for the 3rd largest city in NH. I dont' think there's going to be too much 'small town' left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire