Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 06:26 AM

11 posts, read 10,923 times

Advertisements

We drove through Freedom yesterday and LOVED it. However, there is no Catholic church. Are there towns (hamlets, etc.) similar to Freedom that anyone can recommend visiting? We are here in this beautiful state, checking out areas to live for one more day....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 06:38 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,423,982 times
St. Joseph's is on the west side of Route 16 in Ossipee, the neighboring town.

You might take a look at Fryeburg, Maine. It has a bit more "substance" than Freedom.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:42 AM

Thank you gf2020!

Old 08-14-2019, 10:55 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times
Post Churches in general are pretty scarce in NH, you gotta take what you can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommin View Post
Are there towns (hamlets, etc.) similar to Freedom that anyone can recommend visiting?
What in particular did you like about Freedom, besides the name and the lake?

NH has dozens of small towns with similar population/density to Freedom. Most are even less tourist focused, don't have much for visitors beyond a general store and maybe a little local history perhaps a museum or historical society with limited hours.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:32 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,659,757 times
The smaller towns and villages in NH are not likely to have Catholic churches. The larger areas will have them and frequently any former mill town regardless of size.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
What in particular did you like about Freedom, besides the name and the lake?

NH has dozens of small towns with similar population/density to Freedom. Most are even less tourist focused, don't have much for visitors beyond a general store and maybe a little local history perhaps a museum or historical society with limited hours.
Actually, it wasn't the name or the lake (wasn't even aware of a lake there) that we liked. We drove through on our way to another property we were looking at in a neighboring area.

Have you been to Freedom? Because if you have, you would already have a good idea what I meant by asking for similar suggestions. My husband and I have spent the last four days driving all over NH, from north to south, east to west. We've seen urban, rural, suburban and touristy. In all the areas we have seen, Freedom is unique. Only one other area had the same look and feel (can't recall which now; it's been a long day, and I don't have my notes in front of me)

I loved the hometown feel, the flag and tree lined streets, the classic new England crisp and tidy historical main street. People were consistently house and town proud. It certainly did not come across as touristy. I went through plenty of those towns, like meredith. Freedom looked like a place where people raised generations of families. I saw no section 8, hud homes, trailers and mobile homes, apartments, etc.

We aren't looking for a target/ wal mart/Costco kind of area. General stores are fine. A reasonable drive to a hospital is a bonus.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:29 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Freedom village is not that touristy. However, the western town boundary includes Ossipee Lake that receives quite an influx of summer people. Freedom, Wakefield, Madison areas do have a larger retired population, not too many good paying positions nearby without a solid commute.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Freedom village is not that touristy. However, the western town boundary includes Ossipee Lake that receives quite an influx of summer people. Freedom, Wakefield, Madison areas do have a larger retired population, not too many good paying positions nearby without a solid commute.
I got that impression about the area of Freedom we drove through as well. I'm guessing that was freedom village?

Thank you for the input about the other areas Granitestater!

One thing that we were blown away by is that there really isn't an area that isn't beautiful; New Hampshire is beautiful.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:42 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times
Wink if I wanted to see a classic town square with flags and such, I'd go down to town hall and pay the tax collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Freedom village is not that touristy. However, the western town boundary includes Ossipee Lake that receives quite an influx of summer people.
Exactly -- that's the part of Freedom I was thinking of, rather than the quiet village center.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:33 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,245,210 times
Check out Effingham . Its a neighboring town to Freedom. Laid back lifestyle. Nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire