Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 02:10 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,667,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
I hear what you're saying, but the reality is

Once the kids are here, they're here, that can't be changed
The parents can afford to pay what they can afford to pay, and no more
None of this is the kids' fault
Something has to be done based on the reality of the situation

Getting school costs under control is something that can be changed, the above can't be changed. Might as well focus on the things that can be changed.

And retirees can afford to pay what they can afford to pay, and no more.
And it isn't their fault someone else decided to have kids.
Why should escalating property taxes force them out of their homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 02:47 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,628,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
That's right, like getting school costs under control.

Old 09-04-2020, 02:51 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Per another thread with an anti-growth thought, they should have their children and grandchildren living with them.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:18 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,667,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Per another thread with an anti-growth thought, they should have their children and grandchildren living with them.

They can't if the exorbitant school taxes have forced them out of their homes. You've missed the point here.

Old 09-05-2020, 03:23 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,672 times
Vermont is right next door after all. The less you earn, the less you pay. Sounds like a good deal for those who can't afford NH.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:28 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,521,188 times
I live in southern most NJ. Taxes are really not that bad here. I started looking at PA for relocation. Harrisburg outskirts, beautiful area. Taxes there vary by area but in most cases I am still ahead in southern most NJ. Best to break down areas (counties) as well as income sources. You just can't factor a state as the total picture.

I have been reading this tread because I thought NH may be a good choice for me. And I like the White Mountains. Most likely not the case right now. But will start looking at VT.

Keep in mind the financial impacts of covid are just started to hit. Areas which look good now on paper may not in 2 years.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:29 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
They can't if the exorbitant school taxes have forced them out of their homes. You've missed the point here.
It was tongue in cheek.

Increasing real estate taxes affect seniors everywhere to some extent.

Old 09-11-2020, 02:31 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,214,344 times
Bureaucrats working on school funding formulas:

Quote:
School Funding Commission Reviews AIR Draft Report -- The Commission to Study School Funding got its first look at the full school funding draft report prepared by the American Institutes for Research (AIR) at its meeting on Thursday, Sept. 10. Among its key findings, the report says “the state could more equitably generate revenue for education through a statewide property tax that collects revenue centrally and distributes the revenue according to the formula." AIR’s cost modeling “indicates that districts with higher needs … and small districts require more spending per student to achieve a common desired level of outcomes.”
https://carsey.unh.edu/sites/default...v5_draft_1.pdf

It's never about cutting costs and always about taking more. If you live in a low tax town - they are gunning for you and recommend raising your taxes -- because -- they can.

Old 03-13-2021, 08:58 AM

464 posts, read 312,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
People who can't afford to pay for their children's expenses shouldn't be having more than one child.

All I know that it isn't fair for homeowners to keep having to pay ever increasing property taxes, taxes that don't reflect the services they are actually using in their towns.

And parents need to stop expecting a free ride on the costs of educating their children, especially the ones with special needs.
You guys want it both ways don’t you? Defund Planned Parenthood, don’t allow birth control to be covered under insurance, protect the unborn UNTIL it’s actually born then “F you for having that kid and wanting it to go to a good school or be taken care of with special needs”. Unbelievable.

Having a kid isn’t always a decision like going out and buying a new car. Accidents, mistakes, unplanned pregnancies happen. And don’t give me the B.S about “well don’t have sex then”. Only have parents pay for schools? By your logic, I should not have to pay auto insurance because I have never been in an accident.

Go live on an island if you don’t want to contribute to an educated, safe, functioning society.

Disgusting.

Old 03-13-2021, 09:06 AM

464 posts, read 312,408 times
Also, what’s absurd is NH by NOT having sales tax or income tax essentially is saying that a large part of tax revenue WILL come from property owners. Why not have a small income tax or sales tax? If you are retired or don’t have kids and don’t want to see your property taxes go up, well imagine if working people had a small income tax or people who choose to buy expensive boats and cars actually pay a small sales tax. You’re so worried about “once a tax is implemented it will keep going up” yet apparently it’s happening anyways in the form of your property tax.

You vote, you choose. Either fix the spending problem or figure out if there is a way to more fairly generate revenue from more things. The answer isn’t complaining about people who have kids. Were you born? Did you go to school? Come on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire