Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 09:46 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times

Advertisements

Getting back to the original topic, state-level income tax --

I love the people who suggest an income tax on the basis that it'd allow NH to claw back some of the tax revenue from cross-border employment when there's no Federal mandate that states choose to implement reciprocity, and many of our border states don't currently have reciprocity agreements with each other.

Given how "high tax" states are all pushing to continue/expand revenue extraction from remote workers (like the Mass tax grab from COVID-driven telecommuters) or even to extract taxes from residents fleeing to low tax states (look at recent/proposed efforts by NY and CA), I doubt that any of our neighboring states will go for tax reciprocity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnh View Post
Why do people want to pay more tax and get nothing for it. I moved here 13 years ago from NJ they had property tax , sales tax, income tax and more. I can say I am paying the same property tax for a 1700 sqft house on 2 acres here in N.H. that I was paying for a 600 Sqft house on less than 1/4 acre in NJ. You know very well once they get a sales tax it will just be more money for them to waste and you will never see any of it again.
People think "I am paying more than my 'fair share' (and/or my neighbors are paying less than their 'fair share'), so we need a new system skewed towards stiggin' it to the other guy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 11:40 AM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
They can propose anything they want, but unless the "fairness" crowd sweeps state offices this fall, they're going to have a tough time enacting their proposal for school funding redistribution as law.
If that fails, their next resort will be another lawsuit. The "Claremont lawsuit" has been sputtering along since the 80's and has resolved pretty much nothing, except costing the state a lot of time and money.

Old 08-24-2020, 04:30 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,209,432 times
If memory serves me right, the average cost per student in Conval is something like $23,000. We were visting our son in NC and went by a nice new school building called "Thales Academy" and there was a sign out front that said "Private School for only $6000/yr." I looked them up online and they offer K-12 at various costs - the highest being 6k/yr. Here is their website for Tuition information: https://www.thalesacademy.org/admiss...on-information

How screwed up is school funding these days in NH and why do we let ourselves take it. Something has got to change. Time to rise up and revolt.

Old 08-24-2020, 06:00 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
If memory serves me right, the average cost per student in Conval is something like $23,000. We were visting our son in NC and went by a nice new school building called "Thales Academy" and there was a sign out front that said "Private School for only $6000/yr." I looked them up online and they offer K-12 at various costs - the highest being 6k/yr. Here is their website for Tuition information: https://www.thalesacademy.org/admiss...on-information

How screwed up is school funding these days in NH and why do we let ourselves take it. Something has got to change. Time to rise up and revolt.
The founder of the school (and it's 9 sister schools) helps underwrite the operating cost of the schools. He's also a big proponent of public funding of private schools. I checked one city where they have a school (Apex, NC) and public schools in the area have a "cost per student" of about $8200.

In any case, you can't compare costs where minimum wage and COL are way less than NH.

Old 08-29-2020, 10:16 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,209,432 times
Cost of living is minimally less in that part of NC vs NH. About 5-7% less when you factor in everything. I did not see where he helps underwrite the operating costs - can you tell me where that is posted?

Fact is that the NH school system charges WAY, WAY too much for the cost of education and people are afraid to challenge them on it. The current education system and the way it is funded needs a major overhaul. If the supreme court rules that the state needs to nearly triple the amount funded by the state for education - and they do it solely through property taxes - you are going to see some towns go ballistic.

Old 08-29-2020, 10:43 AM

55 posts, read 44,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Cost of living is minimally less in that part of NC vs NH. About 5-7% less when you factor in everything. I did not see where he helps underwrite the operating costs - can you tell me where that is posted?

Fact is that the NH school system charges WAY, WAY too much for the cost of education and people are afraid to challenge them on it. The current education system and the way it is funded needs a major overhaul. If the supreme court rules that the state needs to nearly triple the amount funded by the state for education - and they do it solely through property taxes - you are going to see some towns go ballistic.
I don’t think it is a charging issue though, I think from what I understand about it, it is a structure issue and a decentralized / small schools issue. Basically instead of pooling resources to a centralized school, there are a lot of smaller schools that have to all duplicate the work.

Old 08-30-2020, 01:08 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times
I personally would rather have a small flat income tax and/or a modest sales tax, IF that would mean they could REDUCE PROPERTY TAXES BY SAY 2/3rds! Your $7,000 property tax bill would fall to say $2,300.

For me too much of the state tax burden is lumped all into ONE SINGLE area, property taxes. You can work to get a paid off free and clear house, maybe try to retire early, but you are still stuck with the albatross of that massive property tax bill that never goes away, and only goes up. There are so many states in the US that have dramatically lower property taxes than NH. The same $300k house you buy in NH with $8k in property taxes, if bought in TN would have $1,000 in property taxes! And TN has no income tax either.

And if you are going to say you are a no income tax state, get rid of the tax on interest and dividends! Every other "no income tax" state in the US (TN, TX, FL, SD, WA, NV, WY) does not tax interest and dividends! You are not a "real" "no income tax state" if you tax interest and dividend income!

Old 08-30-2020, 12:37 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I personally would rather have a small flat income tax and/or a modest sales tax, IF that would mean they could REDUCE PROPERTY TAXES BY SAY 2/3rds! Your $7,000 property tax bill would fall to say $2,300.
That sounds wonderful, but show me one single American state where that has actually worked out for more than about 3 years.

Also ignores that property taxes are set by each town, not controlled by the state.

Old 08-30-2020, 06:25 PM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,658,309 times
It also ignores that fact that RE taxes are deductible (at least for the present) on your income taxes. I don't see any point in adding an income or sales tax, sending our money to Concord, and expecting we're going to get enough back so our town can drop our RE taxes. It's just ceding more control of our money to somewhere else. The only way we'll get a drop in our total taxes will be to decrease our school spending.

The only good thing to come of this would be benefiting retirees, who would likely pay less total taxes if their RE taxes were reduced and the I&D tax eliminated in favor of adding income and sales taxes. We already have too many older people living in poverty just so they can pay the taxes on their homes.

Old 08-30-2020, 07:19 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,389,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post

For me too much of the state tax burden is lumped all into ONE SINGLE area, property taxes. You can work to get a paid off free and clear house, maybe try to retire early, but you are still stuck with the albatross of that massive property tax bill that never goes away, and only goes up. There are so many states in the US that have dramatically lower property taxes than NH. The same $300k house you buy in NH with $8k in property taxes, if bought in TN would have $1,000 in property taxes! And TN has no income tax either.

And if you are going to say you are a no income tax state, get rid of the tax on interest and dividends! Every other "no income tax" state in the US (TN, TX, FL, SD, WA, NV, WY) does not tax interest and dividends! You are not a "real" "no income tax state" if you tax interest and dividend income!
However in TN you have something like a 9% sales tax!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire