Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2021, 09:36 AM

24 posts, read 30,686 times

Advertisements

Last night at about 1:00AM, our septic alarm started blaring shortly after the SO flushed the toilet. I went down, silenced the alarm and found the breaker popped to the pump, reset it and it popped again immediately.

I should be able to have it replaced tomorow or the next day, but am curiouls how much reserve storage capacity do these systems typically have? The system was installed in 1988 if it makes a dfference.

I've tried searching on line but can't find a definitive answer. I have seen everything from none to 600 gallons or 1 to 3 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 10:31 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Never heard of any alarm in the main tank. If a gravity system.

The alarm is usually in a pump system. The pump container has very limited storage. Mine is 250 gallons but most are much less.

When my pump failed. Actually the 20 year old pump did not fail. But the brass/steel fittings failed. But since 20 years old replaced pump and fitting.

Just stop using anything with water. Until pump is replaced. Otherwise all may back up into house. Somewhere between $800.00 - $1600.00.

You can cut some cost by digging up where pump tank cover is. And if possible pump out whatever is in the pump tank. Or just let the septic/tank repair person do all.

Old 11-07-2021, 10:39 AM

24 posts, read 30,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Never heard of any alarm in the main tank. If a gravity system.

The alarm is usually in a pump system. The pump container has very limited storage. Mine is 250 gallons but most are much less.

When my pump failed. Actually the 20 year old pump did not fail. But the brass/steel fittings failed. But since 20 years old replaced pump and fitting.

Just stop using anything with water. Until pump is replaced. Otherwise all may back up into house. Somewhere between $800.00 - $1600.00.

You can cut some cost by digging up where pump tank cover is. And if possible pump out whatever is in the pump tank. Or just let the septic/tank repair person do all.
Thanks.

Yeah it's a pump system and I have read where these have a reserve capacity (distance above the alarm trip, to the inlet from the septic tank itself) for cases where the pump fails and can't be replaced immediately, (like on a Sunday). Im curious if there is something in the building code or septic sdesign standard that would give me an idea if it's OK to flush the toilet or maybe even shower.

Old 11-07-2021, 11:40 AM

All is on or supposed to be on your septic system design.
Most town/city halls have a copy of your septic system design unless really old.
Also, Concord - state - will have a copy of septic system design unless really old.
Also, the designer of septic system if still in business will have a copy of septic system design.

The tank that holds the pump can be small. Some use plastic, metal, or concrete small holding tanks. Some are round. Some are square/rectangular.
As far as "reserve capacity" - have never heard that used. Maybe a septic designer can explain that term.

When my alarm went off. I stopped using all water. So I never had any backup.

You will know when you have reached the limit when water/sewage does not drain.

Old 11-07-2021, 12:13 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobrob View Post
Last night at about 1:00AM, our septic alarm started blaring shortly after the SO flushed the toilet. I went down, silenced the alarm and found the breaker popped to the pump, reset it and it popped again immediately.
There are a couple of different approaches to knowing when a critical breaker (like a septic or sump pump) has popped, before water starts showing up places it should not.

Industrial circuit breakers can be purchased with auxiliary/alarm contacts, and of course now "smart" breakers are offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
All is on or supposed to be on your septic system design.
Most town/city halls have a copy of your septic system design unless really old.
Also, Concord - state - will have a copy of septic system design unless really old.
Also, the designer of septic system if still in business will have a copy of septic system design.
One of the things which sold me on my (1980's construction) house is it came with the as-built blueprints, septic plan, and details on all the paint colors used inside and outside.

[/quote]When my alarm went off. I stopped using all water. So I never had any backup.
You will know when you have reached the limit when water/sewage does not drain.[/quote]

Or you'll know when water still goes down the sink, but comes back up at the lowest point above the pump reservoir or clog.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:04 AM

1,093 posts, read 1,058,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post

One of the things which sold me on my (1980's construction) house is it came with the as-built blueprints, septic plan, and details on all the paint colors used inside and outside.

That is a perk. Also may show that the previous owners at least cared about the house although that might be wishful thinking on my part. *also note taken to save all that stuff when my builder hands me the keys.

I do similar whenever I sell a firearm to an individual. Include an exact round count which lets folks know exactly what has gone through it. Now with some guns, that doesn't matter much, but for others it is useful.

Old 11-09-2021, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobrob View Post
Last night at about 1:00AM, our septic alarm
Well . . . was it fixed ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: