Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 06:19 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,305,342 times

Advertisements

OH, that's what the shoes over the wires mean. i didn't know that. i see that all the time in the city not to far from me. i thought it was kids were just tring to be stupid or something

Old 06-16-2008, 07:12 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,703,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
OH, that's what the shoes over the wires mean. i didn't know that. i see that all the time in the city not to far from me. i thought it was kids were just tring to be stupid or something
Careful you're showing your age LOL, because that's what it would have been 20+ years ago - just being stupid. NOW it means a gang. Just like a cap just slightly off kilter used to mean a stiff breeze moved it or the kid was horsing around, now it could be a gang (one kid who committed murder here in NC had his hat slightly off center - his gang's colors).

Horrible horrible horrible - I am so scared my kids will lose their innocence. We need to clean up this country FAST.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:15 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Bien Venu au New Hampshire;

Many small towns and cities in NH Maine RI have a "Little Quebec" neighborhood and until recently there were neighborhoods in which French Canadian was the primary language spoken in the families, schools, churches, stores and factories.
There are still lots of women known as "MeMe" or "Memiere" and "Comment ca vas you!" is still a common greeting.

NH is a better place because of its immigrant history.

Last edited by elston; 06-16-2008 at 07:27 AM..

Old 06-16-2008, 07:17 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,413 times
Quote:
It is kids being stupid!! LOl. Dumb a** gang members. Here we can spot them a mile away. They have their "colors" and "clothes" ...sigh. Disgusting is all I can say.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:30 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,703,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Bien Venu au New Hampshire;

Many small towns and cities in NH Maine RI have a "Little Quebec" neighborhood and until recently there were neighborhoods in which French Canadian was the primary language spoken in the families, schools, churches, stores and factories.
"MeMe" or "Memiere" and "Comment ca vas you!" is still a common greeting.

NH is a better place because of its immigrant history.
Guten morgan (spraken en deutshe? - no I can't LOL)

My memiere passed away a few years back - and yes she was one of the many French Canadians in NH. She spoke very seldom French - only the swear words! I learned Parisian French in HS and couldn't talk with her much - different dialect.

Yes immigration can be a good thing - when done legally and within limits. We are just speaking of the bad side - and unfortunately the bad outweigh the good in the past decade of the USA.

Guten tag
Au revoir mon amis

Old 06-16-2008, 07:31 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,739 times
Actually, I think the shoes on the wire means that you can find drugs nearby. I talked to someone who lives in a place where that happens all the time in his neighborhood (inglewood, cali) and that's what he said. Bit I guess it could mean gangs as well.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:19 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
Quote:

oh no! we must have gangs in our neighborhood too!!!!!

I thought it was just the neighborhood bully picking on the nerds...

Old 06-16-2008, 09:23 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
there's a pair of shoes hanging on the wire right in front of the church!!!!

must be gang- related activities there! I see multitudes entering the building one day per week....I better call the DEA.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:32 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Default Illegal doesnt define people it describes laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
Guten morgan (spraken en deutshe? - no I can't LOL)

My memiere passed away a few years back - and yes she was one of the many French Canadians in NH. She spoke very seldom French - only the swear words! I learned Parisian French in HS and couldn't talk with her much - different dialect.

Yes immigration can be a good thing - when done legally and within limits. We are just speaking of the bad side - and unfortunately the bad outweigh the good in the past decade of the USA.

Guten tag
Au revoir mon amis
I still say "Bienvenu" but would point out that many of the French Canadian immigrants were "illegal" and had no intention to stay in America and fought desperately not to assimilate and to maintain their own language, customs and culture. Those same characteristics are villified when seen in immigrants from other countries, over the past several decades.

"While few in the United States realize it, the U.S. has received more immigrants from Canada than from any other country in the Western Hemisphere, including Mexico. Historically, Canadian immigrants have faced fewer legal barriers than almost any other group. But the southward pull of the United States has often been stronger than the law. According to the INS, the fourth largest group of illegal immigrants in the United States today are Canadians."

I still say "Bienvenu" and expect it will take about 3 generations for new immigrants to consider themselves "Americans" and to want to assimilate.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:48 PM

885 posts, read 2,661,176 times
Default Debunking the Shoes Over Wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
Careful you're showing your age LOL, because that's what it would have been 20+ years ago - just being stupid. NOW it means a gang. Just like a cap just slightly off kilter used to mean a stiff breeze moved it or the kid was horsing around, now it could be a gang (one kid who committed murder here in NC had his hat slightly off center - his gang's colors).

Horrible horrible horrible - I am so scared my kids will lose their innocence. We need to clean up this country FAST.
Debunking the Shoes Over Wires urban legend:

snopes.com: Sneakers on Power Lines

There's no evidence it has anything to do with gang members, drug dealers etc. More likely simple bullying or kids getting rid of an old pair.

Gangs mark territory with graffiti tags. How can sneakers mark a gang? What - Nike's for the Jets and Reebok's for the Sharks? Sheesh, you'd need good eyesight to be a gang banger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire