Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 07:39 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times

Advertisements

Yesterday the House voted to pass this bill, but it probably won't make it through the Senate.

I have no problem with allowing these kids to apply for citizenship and pay for their education at the state rate. Many of them have been instate residents since they were babies. They were not responsible for entering the US illegally.

I would like an educated populace that contributes to our society (at a rate of $30K per year counting tuition, room &board, books and fees). If this helps these kids obtain an education, then more power to them.

We're not talking about a lot of people. We're talking about 15 kids annually. To qualify for the program, the students have to meet University requirements, graduated from a NH high school and attended NH schools for at least 3 years.

Many of the illegals that are here are contributing to NH. They don't have SS numbers, but they do pay taxes. They file and pay taxes just like the rest of us. They don't have SS cards or numbers. They have a government issued ID number called ITINs. From 1996 - 2003, illegals paid more than $50 BILLION in tax liabilities.

numbers taken from: How Illegal Immigrants Pay Taxes - Business Insider

So.... let them continue to live in NH and become nurses, technologists, professors.......professionals.

I have no problem with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 07:47 AM

If you take a moment to look at the numbers provided in the link, you will notice that NH is near the bottom as far as revenue from illegals. The only other state in a similar position is Tennessee.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:02 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,150 times
But the American kid who lives in Fitchburg LEGALLY and wants to go to Keene State has to pay non-resident tuition?

Makes perfect sense if you're a progressive.

Rewarding people for breaking the law is wrong, I don't care how you think it benefits "us".

Old 01-23-2014, 08:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
As children have no option about breaking immigration laws or not I see nothing wrong with treating them like any other child. If the meet the qualifications for admission to the NH State University then they should receive the NH rate. Punishing children for the mistakes of their parents is absurd.

BTW - the Fitchburg kid has the option of attending Massachusetts State colleges.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
But the American kid who lives in Fitchburg LEGALLY and wants to go to Keene State has to pay non-resident tuition?

Makes perfect sense if you're a progressive.

Rewarding people for breaking the law is wrong, I don't care how you think it benefits "us".
The children didn't break the law, their parents did. NH is very lenient with illegal immigrants. CT, ME and RI all have laws that will deport immigrants for certain crimes. NH does not. A minor brought here by his parents is not illegal; from a legal standpoint he has no standing to immigrate, legally or otherwise. His presence here when he turns 18 is therefore "undocumented."

Illegal immigration increased greatly during the years of the supposed “temporary work” Bracero Program. Illegals were paid to come to the US to work. The 1965 Immigration Act saw a sharp increase in LEGAL immigration, especially the Asian countries. Under prior law, they were barred from entry.

These children did not have a choice about where they lived or were brought up. They want to become legal residents.

Why do you care if 15 kids pay a discounted rate for an education? $30K per year is still too expensive for a lot of families. It's a healthy revenue for the state and everyone wins.

Last edited by buck naked; 01-23-2014 at 09:05 AM..

Old 01-23-2014, 08:55 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
I vote for NOT allowing the children of illegals to get a break on NH college tuition. If their parents are here illegally, then tough... that's the bed their parents made for them.

Maybe there is only 15 children affected this year, but passing the bill will open the doors to encouraging more illegal families to move to NH and do the same. We need to stop looking out for outsiders, but instead do more for the responsible homeowners and their high property taxes. And I'd rather work on a state budget that discounts (not defers) more for the property taxes of retirees, especially if they are longtime NH homeowners. After the age of 65, why should a homeowner who has paid off their mortgage still worry about high property taxes? Especially since they haven't had children actively using the public school systems in their towns (schools that are most of the town budgets) for many decades.

Plus there are not enough jobs in NH for the legitimate residents, so why encourage more illegals to move here for the benefits for their children?

Old 01-23-2014, 09:14 AM

I'd rejoice if more younger people moved to NH.

I highly doubt if reduced tuition rates are going to bring an influx of illegals.

California, Texas, New York, Utah, Washington, Oklahoma, Illinois, Kansas, New Mexico, Nebraska, Maryland, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Vermont all offer discounted rates to illegals. NH will be just one more state that prefers an educated populace.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
Why do you care if 15 kids pay a discounted rate for an education? $30K per year is still too expensive for a lot of families. It's a healthy revenue for the state and everyone wins.
Because they are in this country ILLEGALLY just like their parents. Again we are rewarding people for breaking the law. I don't know why that concept is so hard for you to grasp. My family came to the United States Legally. If I lived in MA and wanted to go to Keene State I would have to pay $17,000 instead of $10,000 that the ILLEGAL person gets to pay according to your logic.

Why bother having laws if you're going to pick and choose which ones you like and don't like?

Old 01-23-2014, 11:14 AM

My family came to the United States Legally.

Before 1965 or after? There is a big difference. These children did not break any laws.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:28 AM

You're not going to change my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire