Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 02:17 PM

5 posts, read 18,139 times

Advertisements

I've read a ton of threads, but I think it's time to post my specific query:

My family and I are considering a move to New Hampshire from out West.

Spouse 1 appears to have generated a job in the vicinity of Exeter; Spouse 2 will want to generate a job, but expects in the near term that this would likely be in Boston.

Under this scenario, where would you suggest we settle in order to have reasonable commutes for both? Spouse one would likely drive to the Exeter area; Spouse two would prefer public transport or a combination of drive/ride.

Longer term, Spouse two would hope to chuck the whole Boston commute, finding a different opportunity close to Exeter or some telecommute gig.

Children are about to enter public school, so that is both a near and long-term consideration.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 08:59 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,952,219 times
Hi, hope it's ok if I call you JT Here are some of the thoughts rolling around in my head...

A couple of considerations. NH is somewhat lacking in the public transportation area. There are no commuter rail to Boston options except for Amtrak's Downeaster. With stops in Dover, Durham and Exeter, and runs to Boston's North Station , the schedule is limited to 5 trains per day--AM- 7ish and 9ish, and PM - 2ish, 3ish and 9ish. Your other option would be MBTA that also runs into North Station, Boston. The Newburyport line would be closest to Exeter.

At least while the Boston-commute idea is still in play, being near one of the interstate highways (93 or 95) will be important. Exeter is closer to 95, but that's the less direct route into town.

No matter what way you look at it, driving into Boston from NH isn't fun. We have a regular poster that takes the bus from Londonderry (Exit 4/Rte 93) into Boston/South Station. I expect this might change (any word on that GregW?) once the new transit station at Exit 5/North Londonderry opens up. Exit 5 is very close to Route 101, and many of the towns along that corridor might work well for you.

I could start suggesting towns, but other than location, what are some of your other considerations? Are you looking for a sleepy small town where you can get away from it all? An active small city that's convenient to shopping and entertainment for the kids? Some of the "standout school districts" in the general area include Exeter (sau 16 which includes Brentwood, Exeter, East Kingston, Kensington, Newfields and Stratham). Also, Oyster River (Lee/Durham/Madbury), Londonderry & Bedford.

This is probably enough for you to digest for tonight, and I'm sure others will be along with their opinions. You'll get some good advice here, and hopefully will be asking more Q's

Old 01-26-2009, 05:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
JT1JT1 & Val C- the new bus station has very good service to Boston. Look up bostonexpressbus.com for schedule and fare details. The Station aat Exit 4 is only open for the morning inbound commute.

I suggest you look along NH Rt 27 between Manchester and Exeter. There are a number of old villages that have been bypassed but are not far from NH Rt 101.

good luck on your relocation and please keep in touch.

GregW

Old 01-26-2009, 06:57 AM

371 posts, read 1,162,272 times
Easy. Move to Exeter. Zero commute for spouse 1. There is a train in-town with service to Boston. Also, the drive to Boston is faster from Exeter (95) than from the manchester area (93). schools are good.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the replies! Am researching more.

We don't wish for the Boston Commute to be a permanent feature, but we have no visibility on how long it would take to ease it out of the lifestyle. That said, it may make more sense to focus on centering things around Spouse 1's job in the Exeter area, since that's what we would prefer longer term.

As for towns, we would place a high priority on schools; we would also like a walkable town center, more for the sense of place and community than anything else really. We have two small kids about to enter public schools in the next year or so; hence, we're certainly not looking for significant "activty" or anything. But convenience to family-shopping needs and things for the kids would be good.

We read about the Amtrak train out of Exeter; our concern is the infrequency and cost, which may not be suited for a daily gig in Boston with irregular hours. Much will depend on what #2 lines up.

Thanks!

Old 01-27-2009, 05:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Move your family to Exeter. It meets or exceeds your requirements. You commute to wherever you get a job.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:56 AM

371 posts, read 1,162,272 times
Again, Exeter meets all your requirements.

As far as the commute -- if the downeaster train doesn't meet your schedule and you don't want to drive, you can always drive part way to Haverhill or Newburyport - the train schedules are better, cost a little cheaper (but not cheap and you gotta drive to the station).

Also keep in mind those trains go into NORTH Station, so if you don;t work near there, it's a real pain and time consuming to transfer trains, etc (check posted map)

Old 01-28-2009, 11:52 AM

Thanks again.

Yes, Exeter seems appealing in a lot of ways and may very well be the way we go if the job offer is accepted.

That said, as long as a Boston commute is in play for Spouse 2, is there much merit in considering a location closer in? In other words, Spouse one would have to drive to work no matter what (job would be near, but not in, Exeter), so would an extra 15 highway miles from, say Newburyport, be a reasonable "price" to pay to enable Spouse 2 near immediate access to the MTBA? Or would even another 15 miles down 95 to the Boxford region still be reasonable?

We realize this raises questions about the relative benefits of being on the Mass side of the border vs. the N.H. side. But that's probably another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire