Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 03:17 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,404 times

Advertisements

I see some interacial couples in northern NH and everything seems fine at least to me. I certainly won't say that there are hordes of them by any stretch but I do see them That is kind of funny that one poster was concerned that you would be on welfare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 04:23 PM

132 posts, read 356,334 times
We are an interracial family and I did have some concerns when we decided to move to NH. I am white, my DH is Filipino as is our oldest daughter, and our youngest 3 are Korean.

My DH is already in NH(we hope to be there soon) and he has had no problems. In fact, he has been very welcomed and has mentioned several times how nice everyone has been to him since he arrived.

I think you will do fine.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:05 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitislandmama View Post
Thank you for your quick replies. To Mac_Muz, big city life is what we are trying to get away from; I thought I mentioned that. Neither I nor my husband have ever been on welfare, we work very hard. I never considered Montreal because I was born and raised in the US and don't have any problems living here and my husband quite likes it here, we just want good schools, a bigger house than what we could get here for the same money, cleaner air, slower pace, and a higher quality of life.

It makes me sad that as a MA native, I will not be able to continue living here if things continue the way they are. Many of us are looking at alternatives, and NH is a viable alternative. As unhappy as some of you are with the numbers of people moving up there, I believe you will continue to see an influx of people from MA for many years to come.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Well I am hoping you didn't take this personally as it was not ment to be.

I have spent most of my life here, and have seen what happens. I can remember when no land was posted and anyone could walk anywhere. This is no longer possible as all land almost is now posted.

This is just one change because city people who 'said' they wanted the rural life style, brough a little of that city dweller ideal with them and one by one a great deal of things changed. I was just sayin'

Montreal, was no suggestion to go and live, I was just sayin' it is a wonderful place in general to visit, and very mulitcultured. I thought maybe if you never had been there, on a vacation it might be a great place to see a city where multicultural things really work well.

Because of the way you feel, you must understand you are not nearly the first, and so NH is becoming an annex to Mass at a faster rate than NH locals and natives like, and because outsiders no sooner get here and have some city dweller ideas to impose on those here before them.

This is a caution only to think out what it is you may bring to NH. Do you want to have just moved across a state line that is still Mass, with the same bad things and reasons that made you move in the first place?

You say No, but do you really know? Already the mountains are littered with condos. 'They' said it would never happen.

In N Conway once there was an airport, by it was taken for the land hills were moved in on the landing strip and a Mall was built. After that Mall after Mall went up, and what used to0 be a quaint NH town with scenic vistas, has become a golden mile of common trash box stores, and there isn't one box store missing.

Now I am not suggesting you should not move here, but am suggestion that if you bring what you don't want to live with here, there simply is no point to move here.

You are not alone to who I will say these things too.

So far as I am concerned NH was ruined on 2004 for good anyway. In fact i would leave to a place like NH was in the 60's 70's if there was one, but the fact remains there isn't anyplace left period, and how I know is in 05 into 06 I took a motorcycle ride from here to Cal and back hitting 40 states with my wife.

No place else was anymore rural, no place else has the nasty weather I like and no place else has sugar maples for me to tap. So here I am wishing still there was a place somewhere like I once knew.

It seems to me, if you really want that rural life, that these same things would be of some concern to you too.

I appologize if I seemed offensive, but in some respects I was offened by the racial question in the first place since this is a non issue. I addressed that as best i could, and felt very akward in doing so, but I hoped i was fair.

In no way did I think you had ever been on welfare, but never the less some people have come here tinking NH law is more like Maine and or Mass, where there is a much better socailly accepted form of welfare.

Mass and Maine have better workers comp too if you were injured, than NH does. In Mass and Maine if you are hurt on the job and need surgery there is even pay for inches of scar. No such thing in NH, In NH before the wound is healed you better be back at work or the next thing to happen is you go hungery.

Rental law in NH does not provide a days worth of tenant protection. If a tenant has a problem with getting rent paid on time there is no cushion.

The LL can call the sherriff and you will be packed up and gone before the sherrif leaves.... I don't like that, and i didn't make that law, but it is the law.

NH laws are different for power. gas and other thyings, that if even you have children and if an injury causes loss of work still the power and gas can be shut off even in winter. Even if you own the home, and can't pay these essential utilities.

I am saying these things so you can research them and find out for yourself.

I simply am informing you to make the best wize choice you can make, as it matters to you and your family.

I truely appologize for seeming to be too harsh, it never was my intent. Mac.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:51 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,425,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

So far as I am concerned NH was ruined on 2004 for good anyway.

Mac, what happened in 2004? Just curious.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:02 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Mac, what happened in 2004? Just curious.
I probably shouldn't type here what I will, but I am pretty open no matter what...

Well, as I see it, in 2004 properties all rised no less than $100,000.00 from what they were over night by the stroke of a pen.

My wife and are were both employed and had been approved for a home loan. The home was a 1930's built summer cottage, and the price had been $33,000.00 about.

Over night with out so much as a new nail it went to $165,000.00, which was reflected by the tax maps, and eventually was sold for around $130,000.00.

That structure needed a bulldozer more than anything, but then I am pretty handy. Had we been able to buy it, by now it would have been fixed up pretty well, and i would have a bigger barn with heat, and with in a shop for so many projects as i could desire.

It wasn't just that place, or just that town, or just this state, because when that idea was smashed, we toured the USA, seeking a better place to be, to work and live.

I tend to be a bit bitter about what has happend to my way of life sometimes, since all I want is a safe place to sleep and common foods supply enough to live in some comfort in a reasonable mannor.

My wife and I can live on very little, but in these days is is hard to live at all. We are not the type to seek any forms of public assistance, and would move to the woods before doing that...... again.

We spent 3 full years living in the woods on National Forest lands which is totally illegal, but no one comes to find out.

At the time I was embedded in a nasty divorce not of my making, and hurt. The court took it as a joke when they wanted to know my address. It was in dead winter at the time, and was around -50 below 0...

So I can see why they thought i was joking, but I did offer them to send anyone they wanted to where i was, and suggested about 3AM really.

If it comes to that again, there will be no returning for this ol' long hair country boy, unless the Govt comes and kills me.(fine by me)

In time we could have met the mortgage of $33,000.00, but no way can we ever meet any $100,000.00 at the kinds of pay I am accustomed too.

Carpenters and engine techs are never paid well. A Harley tech will never earn enough for a new Harley. It is getting to be that if one works with their hands they will never command enough money for much.

I came up hard, and became what I needed to be to survive, but that didn't lend well to skills where no hands are needed.

I should have seen the writting on the wall long ago, when I had a different place and a different life, where I built a barn shop for myself. That barn cost me 800 bucks for all the materials i didn't scavange, and i had exactly 24 man hours of assistance to tip up the walls and had the loft joists passed up with the sheets of plywood flooring.

All the rest i did alone.

The tax man came sneaking in with no calls or appointments and gauged the structure to be worth 12,000 bucks. Since I had caught him in the act, first I told him it was 800 bucks and I had receipts, and my pay would never come to these air head figures. Then I threw him out and told him to never come back with out first making an appointment.

I have a high value on my privacy. That was long before I got hurt, and or divorced for that first time.

With out wanting to get in to poly tics, this country has strayed far from the CONS. The greed that has occured is incredible.

On this site I have no intent to get into poly tics as I am pretty sick of it.

I consider what happened to that cottage, nothing more than a quasii legal Govt scam..

The cash for the mc tour of the USA was the down payment which had been saved over decades, and I find myself seeking any work, and why I came to this site, thinking maybe there would be something.

The work I had, just stopped, it might start again, but the big companies I rebuilt machines for just quit sending machines to be restored and refit.

No matter, i will rebuild myself once more and find something..just wonder what?

In the past I created a living history program, that Columbine ended.. some wacko ends what happens 2,000 miles away.... 12 staties met me at the school, and i had a paper contract. Guys in buck skins with a fire bow and musket with a basket full of trade items and his wife's dress aren not villians. I still wonder who called the cops.

The show went on anyway, to include all the cops, fine by me, as one class turns to 3, and 3 turns to everybody. It did end with fire by bow drill, and the flintlock musket spoke, and by state trooper request. Evidently they became as thrilled as anyone.

I rebuilt in working silver, and then that goes sky high and i don't dare invest time and money. I still do car work and mc work besides machines, but right now it is nearin 0 degrees.

I still mimic 18th century trunks in pine, with hardware i make, not that cheesey looking, look alike junk, made in some foriegn land.

So far no boxes i made are mistaken for the real thing, but my silver is.

Soon it will be sugarin' time, and i will feel better. If i don't live here then, well, my sugar rig is on skis...

Old 01-31-2010, 08:58 PM

22 posts, read 21,914 times
Try Peterborough or Keene, if you want to get away from the big city but to somewhere that's tolerant. Peterborough's a town of about 10K and Keene is a small city (a college town).

I was going to suggest Nashua or Manchester until you mentioned wanting to ditch city life...

In any case, hope to welcome you to NH soon!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:40 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,990,455 times
It's more the individual people you meet than a specific area I would think. There is a couple living next to me, she's white, he's black, and they are wonderful people, but I don't have an issue with that sort of thing

Old 02-02-2010, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,049 times
As a native born New Hampshire-ian (is that a word?) and same sex couple, I feel I can say with confidence that most of NH as a group are not prejudice in any way. If they are, they are idiots and you wouldn't want to be associated with these people any way. I went to a public highschool, where only one family of blacks were students there. Everyone welcomed them and were "color blind"....and that was way back in the 70's ...ugh! I would like to think the majority is that way...welcome 2010.!

Old 02-02-2010, 04:11 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,990,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmess08 View Post
As a native born New Hampshire-ian (is that a word?) and same sex couple, I feel I can say with confidence that most of NH as a group are not prejudice in any way. If they are, they are idiots and you wouldn't want to be associated with these people any way. I went to a public highschool, where only one family of blacks were students there. Everyone welcomed them and were "color blind"....and that was way back in the 70's ...ugh! I would like to think the majority is that way...welcome 2010.!
Perhaps you should join us in 2010. Saying someone is an idiot because of what they believe, same sex, interracial, etc, makes you no better than those that speak out against such ideals.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:27 PM

125 posts, read 251,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Perhaps you should join us in 2010. Saying someone is an idiot because of what they believe, same sex, interracial, etc, makes you no better than those that speak out against such ideals.
I think a lot of people would disagree with you there, including myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire