Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 11:14 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post

like I said.. Any area worth living in. The schools are not good there..
Delaware is cheap for a good reason..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 07:36 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
taxes are strictly "you get what you pay for". No Philly suburb that is worth living in have cheap taxes.
Depends on what your definition of cheap is. I think my town would qualify as cheap (at least from a NJ standpoint) with average property taxes running $3,500 - $5,000 per year and we still have great schools and good services. Of course that number really isn't "reality" since the industrial park pays a ton of taxes to the township which greatly offsets our tax burden, but that's what I pay, so it works for me.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:59 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Depends on what your definition of cheap is. I think my town would qualify as cheap (at least from a NJ standpoint) with average property taxes running $3,500 - $5,000 per year and we still have great schools and good services. Of course that number really isn't "reality" since the industrial park pays a ton of taxes to the township which greatly offsets our tax burden, but that's what I pay, so it works for me.

yup, true.. Speaking of high taxes I know a couple who bought a home in Emmaus, pa and they pay over $7k for a $300k home! Middle of nowhere. .

Old 11-30-2010, 09:28 PM

59 posts, read 167,530 times
Many people relocate to be near families - and they dont choose their location based on taxes. Yes - our real estate taxes in Camden County and in NJ are high. Haddonfield has excellent schools - so if you have school aged children - you will get a great benefit for your tax dollar. You will get more house for your dollar in Haddonfield than in Princeton - and it is an easy commute into Philadelphia. It is also a reasonable distance to the shore or to NYC - there really are some great things about living in south Jersey.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-04-2010 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: Advertising is NOT allowed.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:13 AM

398 posts, read 732,930 times
One of the things the original poster asked for was diversity. There is NO diversity in Haddonfield, Moorestown, or Princeton. Everyone is white.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:29 AM

59 posts, read 167,530 times
Cherry Hill has the most diversity of the neighboring communities in south JErsey.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:33 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
One of the things the original poster asked for was diversity. There is NO diversity in Haddonfield, Moorestown, or Princeton. Everyone is white.
Really? The non-white residents in Haddonfield might find that interesting.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:18 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
There's plenty of diversity in those towns: Irish, English, German, Italian, French, Scottish, Welsh, Polish, Russian, etc.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:27 PM

398 posts, read 732,930 times
Haddonfield is over 95% white...

If the original poster wants true diversity, I would say you need to avoid the Philadelphia region altogether. This area isn't exactly a magnet for immigrants from around the world. There would be better places in the NYC & Washington D.C. areas. There's plenty of black and hispanic communities around Philadelphia and some in NJ, and a few enclaves of Koreans, Vietnamese, Chinese, etc. but no diversity of the type you find in NYC or DC areas where people from hundreds of nations have built their own communities. I think Center City Philadelphia is probably the best bet for diversity because it does have chinatown, the Italian Market, the Vietnamese areas off Washington, huge hispanic community in North Philly.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:10 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Haddonfield is over 95% white...

If the original poster wants true diversity, I would say you need to avoid the Philadelphia region altogether. This area isn't exactly a magnet for immigrants from around the world. There would be better places in the NYC & Washington D.C. areas. There's plenty of black and hispanic communities around Philadelphia and some in NJ, and a few enclaves of Koreans, Vietnamese, Chinese, etc. but no diversity of the type you find in NYC or DC areas where people from hundreds of nations have built their own communities. I think Center City Philadelphia is probably the best bet for diversity because it does have chinatown, the Italian Market, the Vietnamese areas off Washington, huge hispanic community in North Philly.
Ummm. . . The OP is originally from Philly & stated that she is familiar with Haddonfield & was leaning to there anyway, so what's your point? If she was unhappy with the suggestions, she would have said that instead of agreeing with them. There is no arguement here. Incidently DC is totally out of what her initial request was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia