Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:30 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Up North View Post
well, not exactly what I was hoping to hear,,,but thank you for your honest replies! I have a friend who is very sweet and down to earth who lives in mt. laurel. she loves it there. i was hoping to find a town with a "downtown" though and i was under the impression mt. laurel doesn't have one. we loved haddonfield but the lack of yards, parks, and high taxes have scared us away. it seems that most of the houses we saw for sale over a year ago are still on the market and that has cautioned us against it as well. I grew up in a "newer" town without any town center and there seemed to be a lack of community due to that. I really was looking for good schools, a nice downtown, where my kids could ride their bikes around the neighborhood and maybe into town for pizza or ice cream. I thought Moorestown fit the bill, but maybe not if it's that clique/snobby.....Are any of the surrounding towns fitting the bill for me? Downtown, good schools, nicer more down to earth types (money is okay but snobby is not for me!!)Any suggestions? Thanks
I wouldn't let the posts necessarily detract you from looking into Moorestown if that is where you want to be. For the most part the people I ran into around there were not snobby in the least. That doesn't necessarily carry through to the schools, but that is an issue you have to deal with anywhere you go. There are always cliques and the "rich kids" and the "poor kids", I was really just trying to imply that a town like Moorestown has a different scale. "Poor" in Moorestown would be pretty well off in a lot of other areas. What I can say is that the schools are rated very highly and the town carries a lot of name recognition. It also has everything you seem to be looking for.

The critique on Haddonfield is also a little unfounded as while there aren't as many parks as say Moorestown, they certainly have them and they are all easy to bike to and convenient to most places in town. The taxes are what they are and I imagine would be at least similar to Moorestown.

Your other upper end towns like Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Marlton and Mt. Laurel aren't going to offer you the kind of experience you are looking for as they are development cluster towns. They are big with a lot of variety and resources, but they have no real "core" that they are built around.

One other town that may fit the mold is Cinnaminson, but while they have a downtown it's not really what you seem to be picturing. If you came on here and asked for recommendations and gave a budget that would support it, most of us would have recommended Moorestown or Haddonfield hands down. You asked for critiques, so we gave critiques, but I wouldn't let that detract you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 01:03 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Up North View Post
well, not exactly what I was hoping to hear,,,but thank you for your honest replies! I have a friend who is very sweet and down to earth who lives in mt. laurel. she loves it there. i was hoping to find a town with a "downtown" though and i was under the impression mt. laurel doesn't have one. we loved haddonfield but the lack of yards, parks, and high taxes have scared us away. it seems that most of the houses we saw for sale over a year ago are still on the market and that has cautioned us against it as well. I grew up in a "newer" town without any town center and there seemed to be a lack of community due to that. I really was looking for good schools, a nice downtown, where my kids could ride their bikes around the neighborhood and maybe into town for pizza or ice cream. I thought Moorestown fit the bill, but maybe not if it's that clique/snobby.....Are any of the surrounding towns fitting the bill for me? Downtown, good schools, nicer more down to earth types (money is okay but snobby is not for me!!)Any suggestions? Thanks
Didn't mean to discourage you! Moorestown is still a great place, I have several friends and family friends who grew up there and loved it. I would definitely keep considering it if I were you.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:12 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Didn't mean to discourage you! Moorestown is still a great place, I have several friends and family friends who grew up there and loved it. I would definitely keep considering it if I were you.

This.. ^^^^

Old 08-02-2011, 09:08 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,603,160 times
Moorestown's downtown is nice, but I've never had a need to buy anything there LOL.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:11 PM

364 posts, read 1,192,818 times
We haven't been in Mt. Laurel long enough to determine the sense of "community", but I have a feeling it will be pretty good. There are lots of places my kids can ride their bikes, and they can always ride to the corner Wawa for their treats.
I've never been a fan of the "small town" downtown cores, as the shops are usually tiny and overpriced. Are you able to go and "hang out" in the Moorestown downtown area and see how it feels to you?
Reading these forums, I have read a lot of great things about Haddonfield.
Wouldn't Medford be a good place for commuting to Hamilton, too? As I said, I am new here, but I recall driving through Hamilton and then Medford when coming home from the shore. Their main street seems to have that same feel to me.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:44 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
yes, great location too. Medford and medford lakes is a wonderful area..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luhts View Post

Wouldn't Medford be a good place for commuting to Hamilton, too? As I said, I am new here, but I recall driving through Hamilton and then Medford when coming home from the shore. Their main street seems to have that same feel to me.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:52 PM

108 posts, read 340,407 times
Default Thanks for the help!! My husband would not be commuting to Hamilton.

Maybe you were referring to another poster that I missed But he may be commuting to Cherry Hill or into Philly for work. I know Haddonfield would be better for that, but we haven't seen a house that had taxes we are willing to pay. Moorestown seemed to have more houses with taxes, that, although were high, were more in the range of what we were comfortable with. I guess I just need to go there and try to get more of a feel for it by talking to people in town or in the schools. But I am entering with caution at this point!

Old 08-17-2011, 05:21 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times
There are multiple Hamiltons in NJ, make sure you specify which Hamilton you are referring to.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:31 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
There are multiple Hamiltons in NJ, make sure you specify which Hamilton you are referring to.
Probably the one next to Trenton. The other one is known as Mays Landing.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:34 PM

364 posts, read 1,192,818 times
Re: Hamilton
Oops! It must have been another thread I got mixed up with this one, so sorry.

Ix-nay on the amilton-hay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia