Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 12:11 AM

329 posts, read 1,442,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger123 View Post
Old Cherry Hill 'is the place where any crime that happens in Livingston, happens there.'
Yes, what a hotbed of crime Old Cherry Hill, Livingston is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 11:07 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,806,951 times
oh, give me a break. There's crime in the richest areas. Livingston probably has less than most towns. The areas near main streets and the downtown may have more than other areas, but overall it's very safe. Not everyone can live in a million plus home.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:21 AM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,174 times
I have a friend that travels from Vernon, NJ (sussex cty) to Livingston, NJ everyday, she says its the pits traveling on 287, also as a manager for the local Walgreens, says that they are totally lazy and can't find people to work
the first week she was there, the whole store up and quit, because she wanted them to WORK, be polite to customers, help customers, she's been a manager for 10 yrs and this is the worst store she's ever had to contend with
and the company knows it, thats why they put her there to turn it around.

I too, always thought of Livingston as a well to do community, too rich for my blood, but hey, they have a wonderful, great hospital St. Barnabas, that saved my mom's life......so I will always be thankful for the wonderful doctors at St. Barn....good luck on your move, don't envy you paying those property taxes though.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:15 PM

18,464 posts, read 15,242,796 times
Even the cheapest, smallest , oldest houses cost more than $400,000. I doubt many hardened criminals live in them. Personally, I would feel safe at 2AM in any of the neighborhoods in town.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:33 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
Livingston, NJ everyday,...as a manager for the local Walgreens, says that they are totally lazy and can't find people to work
My guess is that the people working at the store weren't from Livingston...

My cousins live in an older section it may be this Old Cherry Hill section. The homes are smaller splits and capes. They did an addition a few years ago. Their street starts at the top of a hill with these nice big houses and ends at the bottom with smaller homes. I really like their neighbors. Friendly, down to earth, not as many Lexus on their end of the street. Their kids still have friends all over town including Bel Aire. I haven't heard of any incidents where other kids snubbed them because of where they live. It really depends on how you'll feel living in this area. You seem concerned with the perception of this area so I would say it's probably not for you. But as far as schools you really can't go wrong in Livingston.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
My guess is that the people working at the store weren't from Livingston...

You seem concerned with the perception of this area so I would say it's probably not for you. But as far as schools you really can't go wrong in Livingston.
She isn't the OP and I still can't figure out how her friend's labor problems and crappy commute reflect in any way the area in question or the town. In any upscale town I bet miimum wage workers are hard to come by. But I sure hope her friend can turn that store around. (teasing). I miss Essex County a lot and if I could afford Livingston or Florham Park, or East Hanover I think I would consider moving back from Monmouth Cty.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:08 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,774 times
I should have used the quotes better. I now it wasn't the OP I quoted. The person I quoted made it sound like it was people in Livingston that were lazy ...My last point was meant for the OP-if you are concerned that an area of Livingston might not be a "good" section than I believe they need to look elsewhere. Thanks for clearing it up.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
I should have used the quotes better. I now it wasn't the OP I quoted. The person I quoted made it sound like it was people in Livingston that were lazy ...My last point was meant for the OP-if you are concerned that an area of Livingston might not be a "good" section than I believe they need to look elsewhere. Thanks for clearing it up.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh gotcha

Old 10-16-2007, 05:01 PM

10 posts, read 39,573 times
George,

Thanks for your advice.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:02 PM

10 posts, read 39,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Walsh View Post
i am livingston resident for 14 years, essex county native. Old Cherry Hill was developed mainly after WWII. many homes there have been expanded from the rather tiny versions that were built in the rush to accomodate returning WWII vets. only locals and real estate agents generally refer to that name. Most of the homes there were built on slabs so there are no basements, even in those that have been built up to 2 level colonials from the original ranch or cape.
The town is very well-managed, schools are very highly rated, ranking in the top 20 to 50 in state. the high school ranks very high. town just built a new state of the art library. will be rebuilding the town hall. all property taxes will be re-assessed by 2009. taxes are moderate compared to neighboring towns. very family-oriented community. lots of activities for children. low crime. shoplifiting at the mall is most common incident.
I commuted to NY by bus to Port Authority when i worked in mid-town Manhatten. i found it to be a generally reliable and easy way to commute. i had ealrier been a train commuter from Monmouth county to lower mahaatten and thought i would not like the bus. i was wrong. i found it much friendlier than the train. today it is difficult to get a seat on the trains. on the bus you are almost 100% assured of a seat.
George,

Thanks for your advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia