Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 05:29 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Whole Foods Coming to Cherry Hill's Ellisburg Circle in 2014
YES!!

Makes a lot of sense.

Hopefully ... it does run into this problem

Whole Foods Parking Lot - Music Video [HD] - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 06:04 PM

756 posts, read 2,118,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
I was wondering... considering there's a Stein Mart in the corner of Ellisburg right now, would Stein Mart be opposed to opening another store where Super Fresh just closed in Marlton? It would definitely be refreshing to see a Stein Mart open there because that shopping center has never really been "cool" but Stein Mart would bring it back to life. The size of the A&P/Super Fresh building is about right for a Stein Mart.
If Stein Mart wanted another store, I'd think off 73 would be more visible. 73 does better retail.

Two locations:
If the Genuardi's gets divided to 2-3 stores, it could go there, or the Borders site. BTW, the Annie Sez store isn't closing even though the parent owners might be in bankruptcy currently.

Another possible area is in the Echelon area of Voorhees. The Echelon Village Plaza has been without a main anchor, formerly Genuardi's, for about 3 years now as well. I think the plaza owner isn't going to get another typical grocer replacement there, so the owner might have to spend money to demolish sites, and lure in other tenants like Aldi and Staples in a store format site and size they would like.

If Dunkin Donuts moved to the closed Fuddrucker's site, the plaza could be partially demolished with the closed Genuardi's, Dunkin and closed Taco Bell/KFC combo all demolished.

Then Aldi could take the end side but near the road, and Aldi would go with a freestanding store. The rest of the plaza space could used for something like Stein Mart and maybe a fitness center like Retro Fitness and maybe 1-2 other stores. Staples might be the best the plaza can get but that would be a long-shot, as Staples which has location in Berlin and Marlton might think this site is too close, and might not like having an inferior location to Office Depot in the area.

Stein Mart could do well there, as the Echelon side has a lot of housing (apartments especially) but not much apparel options anymore with the mall losing so many apparel stores since the last 15 years. Ross seems to have caught on the idea by opening next to Acme.

Last edited by avg12; 02-23-2013 at 06:12 PM..

Old 02-24-2013, 02:39 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
I love that video. It reminds me of the Whole Foods near my house. Finally someone is calling out WF for what they are. Fashion victims spending $80. for 6 items after fighting for a parking space in their BMW crossovers. I don't know who they think they are impressing but it disgusts me how phony they are.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I love that video. It reminds me of the Whole Foods near my house. Finally someone is calling out WF for what they are. Fashion victims spending $80. for 6 items after fighting for a parking space in their BMW crossovers. I don't know who they think they are impressing but it disgusts me how phony they are.
WF isn't stopping customers from not shopping at it's store, and buying chemically processed food from Dollar Tree. Eat that food, be in the hospital at 51, pay those hospital bills, and see if the savings were worth it.

In our area, WF has gone into shopping centers where a chain has left, improving the area, unlike Wegmans (which I like also) but follows a Wal-Mart approach of building these massive stores with massive asphalt lots and selling everything a traditional grocery store does, but as an effect of them around, weaker existing stores in the area close shop.

The video is poking more fun on some WF shoppers than on WF, with the exception of one is blowing $80 on 6 items at WF. Something which is baseless as it's easy to find affordable items at WF.

Last edited by avg12; 02-25-2013 at 01:59 PM..

Old 03-22-2013, 04:04 PM

421 posts, read 834,759 times
I just found out (for sure) that Michaels is opening a store built from scratch in Marlton, next to the TJ Maxx on Route 73 which was a Super Fresh long ago. It's ironic how the Michaels is just now opening after the OLDER Super Fresh in Marlton just closed in the past month or two. Originally, when the Super Fresh on 73 was built in the late 80's (it closed in the late 90's), the plan was for it to replace the original Super Fresh in town on Route 70 (which started as a later A&P store). So the original A&P/Super Fresh would have closed about 25 years ago instead of recently! My assumption is that the Jo-Ann Fabrics on Route 73 will most certainly move to the former Genuardi's space once the Michaels opens. Either that or the Jo-Ann would close and be gone from Marlton forever, which would be unfortunate.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:42 AM

You're right, Michaels is going in there.

http://www.centroprop.com/LeasingBrochures/4045.pdf

Was that space just grass or open space before? I don't remember. I don't care for those stores much, but I do know that the center does a lot better as a box center, than when it was more traditional grocery anchored center, with Superfresh, CVS (now Joyce Leslie) and Builder's Square (now Burlington).

Regarding the Superfresh situation of why the older dumpier store outlasted the newer store, I wonder if it was because of rents. I suspect the 73 location is just a more prime location, thus there was higher rent. I don't know. It seemed like A&P couldn't compete with ShopRite even back then, or atleast in Southern NJ.

Also, it was always easier to cross the Marlton circle from 73, than from 70 when it was around. Thus, for those east of the circle, it was more of a hassle to get to the ShopRite than for those south of 73. Thus, the circle for years protected the Superfresh on 70 from more direct ShopRite competition.

The Westmont store on the other hand looked remodeled and new. It's a shame A&P decided to recently close it. They could have converted it to Pathmark I suppose, while a couple years earlier expanded the Pathmark in Cherry Hill, when TJMaxx left, instead of letting Big Lots go there. That would have been two solid stores in the same region. Instead it seems like A&P/Pathmark is slowly ending being in SJ altogether, and we'll see it possibly with ShopRite going into Camden.

philly.com Inquirer had an article, and analyst from Janney Montgomery Scott suspected the new owners of Acme will make Acme and it's sister chains stronger. So, we'll see. Maybe the new owners of Acme will eye that Marlton Genuardi's space.

Last edited by avg12; 03-23-2013 at 11:57 AM..

Old 03-24-2013, 08:54 PM

In my honest opinion, more Acmes isn't what anybody needs right now. While I appreciate how Albertsons, who bought Acme in 2000, cleaned up a lot of the older, smaller Acmes, it's a shame that so many Acmes have still been neglected to this day. Most of the ones that closed in the past decade had been neglected for far too long and were in disgusting conditions. I think it was a mistake for Acme to have ever bought Jewel-Osco (the main grocer in Chicago which Acme bought in the 80's) because around the same time, Acme was struggling. Due to troubles in the 80's, Acme withdrew from the states of VA, WV, and NY, and much of rural Pennsylvania. But it bothers me more that due to all the money they spent to buy Jewel-Osco, Acme couldn't afford to upgrade their own stores. Many new Acmes popped up in the later 80's and 90's, but very rarely were older ones given the repairs or cosmetic improvements that they DESPERATELY needed. Around 1995, Acme finally started to wake up, but I think it was too late. Giant and Genuardi's both took advantage of the opportunity to overtake Acme, starting in the 80's with areas where Acme had neglected to put stores years earlier, but easily could have and should have. And it wasn't until 2000 when Albertsons intervened that Acme really had the money they needed to catch up. But ironically Albertsons was a horrible company (financially speaking) for spending too much to build new stores, and marketed itself as a chain comparable to Whole Foods when it really was just a mainstream grocer.

That being said, I don't like Giant either... everything about their products and the appearance of their stores screams cheap. Giant reminds me too much of Walmart. But I hope Kroger could buy Giant in PA and perhaps ShopRite in NJ.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:38 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
In my honest opinion, more Acmes isn't what anybody needs right now. While I appreciate how Albertsons, who bought Acme in 2000, cleaned up a lot of the older, smaller Acmes, it's a shame that so many Acmes have still been neglected to this day. Most of the ones that closed in the past decade had been neglected for far too long and were in disgusting conditions. I think it was a mistake for Acme to have ever bought Jewel-Osco (the main grocer in Chicago which Acme bought in the 80's) because around the same time, Acme was struggling. Due to troubles in the 80's, Acme withdrew from the states of VA, WV, and NY, and much of rural Pennsylvania. But it bothers me more that due to all the money they spent to buy Jewel-Osco, Acme couldn't afford to upgrade their own stores. Many new Acmes popped up in the later 80's and 90's, but very rarely were older ones given the repairs or cosmetic improvements that they DESPERATELY needed. Around 1995, Acme finally started to wake up, but I think it was too late. Giant and Genuardi's both took advantage of the opportunity to overtake Acme, starting in the 80's with areas where Acme had neglected to put stores years earlier, but easily could have and should have. And it wasn't until 2000 when Albertsons intervened that Acme really had the money they needed to catch up. But ironically Albertsons was a horrible company (financially speaking) for spending too much to build new stores, and marketed itself as a chain comparable to Whole Foods when it really was just a mainstream grocer.

That being said, I don't like Giant either... everything about their products and the appearance of their stores screams cheap. Giant reminds me too much of Walmart. But I hope Kroger could buy Giant in PA and perhaps ShopRite in NJ.
ShopRites are not company owned.

Kroger is not going to buy Giant of Carlisle unless Ahold decides to sell it, which is very unlikely. Kroger, Ahold & Publix are the chains suspected to buy Harris Teeter. No new chains are likely to go into South Jersey until the dust settles on the Harris Teeter deal.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:18 PM

Actually, I wouldn't be at all surprised if perhaps all of Ahold USA were to be bought by Kroger, for a very high price though. The current Ahold branding scheme is bizarre... Stop & Shop here, Stop & Shop there, Super G here, Super G there, Giant of Carlisle, Giant of Landover, not to mention Martin's, the "twin" of Giant Carlisle in Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia. And it would benefit Kroger to operate in the Northeastern USA, where it never has gone, but is the only region Ahold has ever gone into in the USA, with the exception of the Baltimore/DC Super G/Giant and MD/VA/WV Martin's stores.

Also, as for Acme, all their corporate mistakes aside, I think many (not all) of their stores look cheap and dumpy. By Acme standards, 80's/early 90's stores are still "new". Let's face it... Acme is simply a chain of the past that has failed to keep up with the times. But for that matter, I don't get why Pathmark stays in business at all. Most of their stores are very old, and haven't been updated in any way since the late 80's or early 90's. Most Super Fresh stores are more modern, but still seem cheap and yet are overpriced.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:45 PM

Considering the abandoned Acme in Pennsauken (right on the line with Camden) is an eyesore in a very poor area which is stale for redevelopment, I would love to see Rite Aid bulldoze it for a new store to replace the very old, dumpy Rite Aid already in Pennsauken. Once that happens, maybe Dollar General could be persuaded to move to the current Rite Aid space, which would be a much more fitting location for Dollar General than where they are in Pennsauken now. It's very strange to see a Dollar General in front of the former Hoyts cinema (part of which recently was converted into a Harbor Freight Tools, although the old "cinemas" sign remains!) where 70 meets 38. Once Dollar General would be gone from there under my plan, the owners of Liquor Ranch across the street would open a much brighter, more upscale liquor store where Dollar General is/was. Then the current Liquor Ranch could become a cell phone shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia