Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 03:19 AM

23 posts, read 41,236 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm relocating from NYC for work. My new office will be near Trenton, NJ. It's a bit of a commuting hike from Manhattan so I've been looking at my new housing options. One is the Philadelphia area and the other is NJ. Even though I live in NY, I don't know that area of NJ very well. I'm looking for a town/city that has a more urban feel to it? I love living in Manhattan (for the convenience, bustle, ability to walk everywhere and safety). Are there any places in NJ that fit the bill, to some degree? Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 04:35 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Stay out of Philly. You will get banged with a 4% wage tax and some areas are very unsafe. Manhattan is generally much safer. I cannot think of any area of NJ that fits your bill either..

Old 05-06-2013, 07:58 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Have you looked directly in Princeton, much smaller obviously but some DT areas where you can walk.

CC Philly is a shorter commute than Manhattan and offers a considerable city feel (albeit not Manhattan but what is) but would still be 50+ minutes for a typical commute. Depending on your office location you could take Septa trains to Trenton but not sure how close the offcie is

What area of Manhattan are you looking to compare. There may or may not be a comparable in Philly and Princeton is quaint and walkable and a little vibrant.

One other option might be New Brunswick but still a little rough around the edges.

A last option albeit not much better than Manhattan but removes the tunnels would be Hoboken - would think 70-80 minutes commute and still striking distance to Manhattan on the PATH

Best of luck in your search

Old 05-06-2013, 08:00 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
One other thought is Newtown PA - very close to Trenton and another quaint DT but not a city more a nice old small town, if you are looking for a city feel its not it but does offer some form of potential walkable area

Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
If you're recommending Hoboken, JC and Newark are closer to Trenton and quite urban. There are still some sections of Newark that are nice as well.

OP, I just moved from Staten Island, after 15 years there but I grew up in Hudson County, NJ. There is no place like Manhattan. Not even Brooklyn has the same feel. So you either stay in Manhattan and deal with the commute plus the city income tax, or you go somewhere different - which is everywhere. NJ's metro NY area is quite urban and that has spread to many of the cities/towns further out, such as the Brunswicks but, as mentioned above, it will definitely not be Manhattan-like. And you will want/need a car wherever you go.

Philly has a feel close to Manhattan but, nope, doesn't make it (Hubby grew up teen years in Philly). It's got a lot of the city advantages (not all) and also the disadvantages, including the city income tax. You might find it more to your liking.

I don't know much about Trenton but I don't think you'll find what you're looking for there.

Good luck and welcome to the rest of the world.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
If you're recommending Hoboken, JC and Newark are closer to Trenton and quite urban. There are still some sections of Newark that are nice as well.

OP, I just moved from Staten Island, after 15 years there but I grew up in Hudson County, NJ. There is no place like Manhattan. Not even Brooklyn has the same feel. So you either stay in Manhattan and deal with the commute plus the city income tax, or you go somewhere different - which is everywhere. NJ's metro NY area is quite urban and that has spread to many of the cities/towns further out, such as the Brunswicks but, as mentioned above, it will definitely not be Manhattan-like. And you will want/need a car wherever you go.

Philly has a feel close to Manhattan but, nope, doesn't make it (Hubby grew up teen years in Philly). It's got a lot of the city advantages (not all) and also the disadvantages, including the city income tax. You might find it more to your liking.

I don't know much about Trenton but I don't think you'll find what you're looking for there.

Good luck and welcome to the rest of the world.
Thanks. I've been to the rest of world - from Asia to Europe to Africa - and it's lovely. I'm just asking for people's insight... isn't that the point of these forums?

Old 05-06-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Have you looked directly in Princeton, much smaller obviously but some DT areas where you can walk.

CC Philly is a shorter commute than Manhattan and offers a considerable city feel (albeit not Manhattan but what is) but would still be 50+ minutes for a typical commute. Depending on your office location you could take Septa trains to Trenton but not sure how close the offcie is

What area of Manhattan are you looking to compare. There may or may not be a comparable in Philly and Princeton is quaint and walkable and a little vibrant.

One other option might be New Brunswick but still a little rough around the edges.

A last option albeit not much better than Manhattan but removes the tunnels would be Hoboken - would think 70-80 minutes commute and still striking distance to Manhattan on the PATH

Best of luck in your search
Thanks for the help and insight. I've been to Princeton a few times. Nassau Street in DT Princeton is great, but limited real estate in the vicinity (Princeton University seems to own a chunk of it) though there was a cute apartment I saw, but it's literally across the street from the cemetery.

I've lived all over Manhattan - Harlem (Columbia University for my masters), Upper West Side, Upper East Side, Midtown East and West as well as Grammercy and the East Village. I essentially hopped around every year. The only area that I didn't like was midtown west - Too many commercial buildings, too many tourists, way too dirty.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:53 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Other than Princeton and the NYC satellites, the only place I can think of is New Brunswick.

I could recommend the boring burb next to Princeton that I live in, but I'm pretty sure that's not what you're looking for.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:15 PM

386 posts, read 872,117 times
Trenton is quite urban...

Old 05-07-2013, 07:50 PM

745 posts, read 1,438,306 times
Quote:
Philly is no Manhattan.... but I think 1 thing it does have a lot of is good, solid bars and restaurants. You may be able to find an area to your liking. I know some people that commute from Philly to Trenton. not impossible.

Have you looked into Collingswood? By no means urban, but worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia