Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2023, 03:46 PM

21 posts, read 23,413 times

Advertisements

I'm potentially relocating my family to South Jersey - researching public schools.
Is there notable drug use in the Cherry Hill or Voorhees public schools?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2023, 08:50 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
You can't get away from drug use anywhere. Cherry Hill, Moorestown, Voorhees, Marlton, and Medford are all very nice places to to live, and there are kids using drugs in all of those towns.

Old 05-23-2023, 06:51 PM

I am trying to research whether there is NOTABLE or significant drug use in the public schools of Cherry Hill and Voorhees. Some schools must have more than others, right?
I'm attempting to narrow down school options..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You can't get away from drug use anywhere. Cherry Hill, Moorestown, Voorhees, Marlton, and Medford are all very nice places to to live, and there are kids using drugs in all of those towns.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:10 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,070 times
See my comments on Medford/Moorestown. They apply here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
I would think the answer to this question is "no." Notable is a matter of perception. Certain kids are fairly obvious to tell that they are drug users, so they really stick out. But are they a significant percentage of the overall student body? No.

These are upper middle class, white collar towns. If you are thinking they are the kind of place where you will see a bunch of students strung out on opioids, no, they are not that kind of place. Weed is probably most common.

I would say there is more of a socioeconomic mix in Voorhees and Cherry Hill vs. the other towns where they are not exclusively upper middle class, but overall they are still middle to upper middle. The areas of Cherry Hill that feed into Cherry Hill East High School are overall wealthier than Cherrry Hill West...Voorhees is somewhere in between the two but probably closer to East than West overall.

I am a product of the Voorhees public schools. The area by Voorhees Town Center where the kids generally go to Osage for elementary is the poorest part of the town, but even so, it is mostly middle class...there just happen to be some less wealthy people living in the apartment buildings over there. Not that you really deal with drug use in elementary school anyway though...but Eastern High School also takes kids from Gibbsboro and Berlin. If anything, Berlin has the highest propensity of drug users, but it is still easily a small minority.

Old 05-25-2023, 07:31 AM

Thank you this is helpful information, appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
See my comments on Medford/Moorestown. They apply here as well.

I would say there is more of a socioeconomic mix in Voorhees and Cherry Hill vs. the other towns where they are not exclusively upper middle class, but overall they are still middle to upper middle. The areas of Cherry Hill that feed into Cherry Hill East High School are overall wealthier than Cherrry Hill West...Voorhees is somewhere in between the two but probably closer to East than West overall.

I am a product of the Voorhees public schools. The area by Voorhees Town Center where the kids generally go to Osage for elementary is the poorest part of the town, but even so, it is mostly middle class...there just happen to be some less wealthy people living in the apartment buildings over there. Not that you really deal with drug use in elementary school anyway though...but Eastern High School also takes kids from Gibbsboro and Berlin. If anything, Berlin has the highest propensity of drug users, but it is still easily a small minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia