Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 06:52 PM

3 posts, read 17,721 times

Advertisements

I am trying to get the word out to parents somehow, did anyone read the Candy Bar Bingo letter on Thursday, at the top in small print about the school possibly closing and students redistricted out to Burling School which borders Camden? THe School Brd. is having a closed meeting on the 18th to "discuss" this topic, why then have an open meeting at Pennsauken HS the following week about this, why can't parents have their say on the 18th? I am going to try and find out as much info as i can about this. Anyone who has a school calendar go to April 2007 and read the second paragraph, the School Board states they have a priority to have effective communication with parent and citizens. How is a flyer about Candy Bar Bingo, and at the top a statement (brief as it was) effective? Burling is a magnet school, that can get additional gov't funding, but the school was closed back in 2002 over budgeting issues....how can you have budgeting issues if you have access to additional govt funding...??? I do not want my son to go to this school that is bordering Camden. The Board states structural issues with Central they may be difficult to repair. PTA people, forget the Candy Bar Bingo, and do a FUNDRAISER TO SAVE THE SCHOOL. If this does happen, i will do one of 3 things, send my kid to private school, home school, or move to another town. Pennsauken has 8 elementary schools, one middle school, one high school, and one intermediate school. What will happen if Central closes, will it be repaired and reopened, will it be sold to land developers, what? Please parents, complain to the Superintendent, Dr. James Chapman, call his office and let him know. THe teachers have no say in this one. And if the redistricting happens will the classes stay the same, will the staff move over to the other school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 05:33 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Sorry to upset you but homeowners give money every month for school fundraisers. It's called taxes.

Maybe if renters (who pay a much smaller %) paid taxes to the school system, it wouldn't be in the shape that it is.

Unfort, the school system in NJ is in a declining position and throwing more money into it, isn't going to help. We need a major overhaul of the system.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:36 AM

3 posts, read 17,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Sorry to upset you but homeowners give money every month for school fundraisers. It's called taxes.

Maybe if renters (who pay a much smaller %) paid taxes to the school system, it wouldn't be in the shape that it is.

Unfort, the school system in NJ is in a declining position and throwing more money into it, isn't going to help. We need a major overhaul of the system.
The only reason i posted this here was to get word out to parents before i go to take my son to school on Tues. and i would not ask the general public of pennsauken for money, i would want the people who have kids in that school to try and do something, i am more mad at the fact that parents were not fairly notified of this and that there are problems with the school. and sorry to upset you? you seem to really hate NJ anyway.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:12 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cseddon View Post
The only reason i posted this here was to get word out to parents before i go to take my son to school on Tues. and i would not ask the general public of pennsauken for money, i would want the people who have kids in that school to try and do something, i am more mad at the fact that parents were not fairly notified of this and that there are problems with the school. and sorry to upset you? you seem to really hate NJ anyway.
I actually love living in NJ. Unfort, it's the politicians that are sucking us dry and forcing people to move out of the state.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 7,886 times
On 3/19/07, the Pennsauken BOE voted to close Central Elementary at the end of this year, and re-open Albert E Burling Elementary School. The reason Central was closed was due to mold issues from water intrusion on the 82 year old building. The board had looked into fixing the school but estimates were at about 5 million and didn't guarantee to fix the problem. Another option the board looked into was demolishing and building a new school in Central's current location. In doing this they were also looking to make it larger since both Longfellow and Roosevelt schools are 81 years old. The board expressed desire to rebuild at Central's current location, but the estimate of roughly 35 million to do so is more than this district can handle at this time. The teachers and staff of the school will be moved to the other schools where they will be needed. PTA fundraisers only profit roughly $2,500 depending on the fundraiser, not nearly enough to assist any in fixing the building.

A redistricting proposal was presented to the parents after the board voted to close Central. Although very few parents seemed to mind that Central was closing, a lot of parents were outraged when they found out their neighborhood was part of the section proposed to go to Burling next year. Yes, Burling was a magnet school when it was last open but will not be this time. I don't know about additional government funding for magnet schools, but I do know Burling was a magnet school due to racial diversity issues that are no longer present. Burling is a small school with only 9 classrooms and is within a couple blocks from Camden's border. At Monday's meeting, parent concerns for Burling seemed mostly for student safety being so close to Camden, and anyone reading this should know Camden's reputation. One parent at the meeting spoke of the nearby crime and a nearby park in which he claimed he picked up 57 blue crack bags up from under the slide.

My neighborhood is slated to go to Burling next year. Although I've been in Pennsauken for 4 years, I had not heard of Burling until after the holidays and learned of Central's issues. I had never been to that section of Pennsauken until recently while investigating the school. I wasn't thrilled with the small building that had fences to both sides if the front yet no fencing in the back and did not have a playground. I drove down a couple streets surrounding the school. Some seemed nice, and some were less than desirable. I'd be appreciative of any information about this school and it's surrounding area within a mile. If anyone is interested, the next Board of Education business meeting is 3/22/07at 7PM at Pennsauken High School. The public is allowed to speak at business meetings.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 15,713 times
Default This is Bs!!!!!

My daughter has to go to the new school Pennsauken/Camden, I live in pennsauken for 7 years now Before that i lived in east Camden for 30. I know how camden is, its bad!!!!!! I live a a mile away from franklin school, and my child has to get bussed half way across town. IF your going to send my child to that school then we should pay in taxes what they pay!!! Hopefully there will be another meeting, we need more pennsauken residence to stand up!!

Old 03-23-2007, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 15,713 times
here is something else for you to ponder....

If this School is so safe..why was it shut down for 5 years, while we have other pennsauken schools with over crowded classrooms?!?!?!? If this school is so safe why is their bars on the windows??!?!?!? Where will our children go out for recess do you mean to tell me they have to be locked up inside on the days when they could be outside?!?!
For the people who say it isnt that bad...have you ever lived in camden?? have you ever drove thru there?? Take ride down to the school and say it aint bad..

Old 04-18-2008, 01:03 PM

18 posts, read 67,333 times
I was a student at Burling Magnet School in the early 90's. I didnt even know they closed it! I'll never forget all the crack vials and empty 40oz bottles nicely wrapped in brown paper bags in our yard. When we ran the mile it took some agility to hurdle the empty bottles. The back of the building was 'tagged' up by graffiti artists. Not your typical Pennsauken school.

I miss that school though. Good teachers and small size school for better individual attention. The neighborhood is what it is. It's not the heart of Camden and I don't think it's anything to worry about. Go another half-mile down Marlton Pike and then you can worry. Those ghetto fools always smashed their bottles on the basketball/recreational court area too. That aggrivated me because as kids we fall. Nothing like falling on sharp glass.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,741 times
I went to AE Burling from K-6. It was a wonderful school. In 5th grade, the first black child was enrolled - Carla Cream. She was a grandchild of Jersey Joe Walcott - a famous boxer. I befriended Carla and tried to make her feel welcome in an all white school. This was late 60s/early 70s. The school was newer at the time, the surrounding neighborhood was mostly middle class Italians and WASPs. We had a huge school yard for recess and breaks and there was no cross town bussing. I never went back after I moved on in years - and left NJ for college at 18 - never to return. It is shocking and sad to hear how urban blight has overrun this school and surrounding neighborhoods. Maybe this is the core of what is truly wrong with America today - ignorance, welfare out of control, and allowing our neighborhoods to be consumed by social cancer. It is not simply a black vs white vs hispanic issue - it is much deeper than race. I have no solution to offer - just hope that someone with the fortitude to fix this mess steps up and takes the helm.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:14 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,845 times
A large portion of Pennsauken is next to Camden anyway, so what is the problem? Do you think they should close Baldwin too since it is too close to Camden?

Get over it, you live in Pennsauken, and Camden is your Neighbor. Why do you think your section of town should get special treatment. Maybe you would just be happy with your kid staying in a school with mold.

Besides, look at a map, Central is less than a mile to Camden anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia