Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 10:41 AM

3 posts, read 8,740 times

Advertisements

Hello all....I have done a search here but only found bits and pieces of advice. My wife and I are are moving to South Jersey in the summer. We are in our early thirties with no children and one dog (although that could change in the next few years!) . I will be having to commute to several different areas: Cherry Hill, Washington Township, Stratford. She is an early childhood teacher and is used to teaching in a nice school.

We are are looking to rent a house (possibly just for the first year until we can get more situated). We would like a cool area, that has a younger feel. We don't really know where to begin since we are coming from out of state. Ideally we would like to rent a 2-3 bedroom house in an area with nice schools. Budget would be $1200 or so (give or take).

Thanks for any advice to get us started!

J-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 04:34 PM

3 posts, read 8,740 times
anyone?

Old 12-29-2008, 05:25 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,519,370 times
$1,200 is more like a 2 bedroom townhouse. I suggest you look for a condo, townhouse in Mount Laurel in Burlington County, it's a prime location in South Jersey off Rt 38 and 295, you can get anywhere you want plus it has great shopping nearby. Schools are very good.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 12-29-2008 at 05:38 PM..

Old 12-29-2008, 07:42 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,639,688 times
I'd try Collingswood. Hip, young-ish (you'd like it)

Shanny

Old 12-29-2008, 08:11 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,632,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
$1,200 is more like a 2 bedroom townhouse. I suggest you look for a condo, townhouse in Mount Laurel in Burlington County, it's a prime location in South Jersey off Rt 38 and 295, you can get anywhere you want plus it has great shopping nearby. Schools are very good.
Mount Laurel would be a headache for commuting Stratford or especially Washington Township. I suggest Voorhees, Echelon Glenn is a nice apartment community walking distance to the mall and library and school system is one of the best in the state, i lived there 3 years. Fortunately there are a ton of rental communities in camden county, I would go to an apartment rating website to get more insight.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:02 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,884,648 times
she is spot on.. Collingswood was made for you guys. But $1200 a month won't buy much..

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
I'd try Collingswood. Hip, young-ish (you'd like it)

Shanny

Old 12-30-2008, 06:40 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,698,687 times
Look into PATCO cities. Collingswood be #1. Haddon Twp/Westmont not a bad 2nd choice (which is where I live with wife, no children and 2 dogs) Expect to pay closer to $1400 for a 2 bd house which is in the ball park of what we pay for rent while we look for a house.

Echelon Mall area (Gibbsboro/Voorhees) may be a decent choice in terms of a central point for your wife but not a young feel to it really.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:03 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,978,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseybound23 View Post
Hello all....I have done a search here but only found bits and pieces of advice. My wife and I are are moving to South Jersey in the summer. We are in our early thirties with no children and one dog (although that could change in the next few years!) . I will be having to commute to several different areas: Cherry Hill, Washington Township, Stratford. She is an early childhood teacher and is used to teaching in a nice school.

We are are looking to rent a house (possibly just for the first year until we can get more situated). We would like a cool area, that has a younger feel. We don't really know where to begin since we are coming from out of state. Ideally we would like to rent a 2-3 bedroom house in an area with nice schools. Budget would be $1200 or so (give or take).

Thanks for any advice to get us started!

J-
Camden county is one of the top 10 highest tax burdens of all the counties in the United States.....are you sure thats your best move ?

Old 12-30-2008, 04:40 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,519,370 times
Mount Laurel to Stratford is 16 miles. Not a deal breaker in my book. Mount Laurel has a ton of townhomes, condos and apartments possibly close to his budget. Collingswood/Haddon Twp. are fine if he can find a small house but there will be fewer rentals to choose from and the schools aren't as good as ML's.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 12-30-2008 at 04:59 PM..

Old 12-30-2008, 05:41 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,985,474 times
As far as renting a place goes you can't go wrong with Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Barrington, Haddon Heights, Audubon, Oaklyn, Collingswood and Westmont (Haddon Twp.)

The OP said he doesn't have children. I think he's looking for a nice school district for his wife to teach in and I don't think she'll have any problems with any of the places suggested so far.

Collingswood and Westmont are as close to young and cool as you're going to get. The center of gravity for the under 35 set is across the river in Center City and is far too close for any real action in South Jersey to not get sucked into its orbit . . . if that makes any sense. I lived in NJ for most of my life and I've noticed that wherever you go in the state, with rare exception, any scene there might be is really geared toward people 40 and up. Hoboken is one exception. Asbury Park another (at least for now). You might find a bar here and there or even a restaurant that aims for folks in their 20s or even the slightly older DINKs but more often than not the scene is families or empty-nesters. My theory is that it's a combination of the arcane laws governing liquor licenses and the two cities at either end of the state.

I've actually heard officials in Collingswood say "the only thing keeping us from being Manayunk East is liquor licenses". The town does boast some good restaurants but, unfortunately, you still have to walk to Westmont to go to a pub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia