Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we add the NYC metropolitan area sub-forum?
Yes 12 41.38%
No 17 58.62%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 05:07 AM

3,177 posts, read 2,745,029 times

Advertisements

If you vote yes, please give suggestions about the main title for this sub-forum and its description. If you'd like to see how sub-forums work, please check out our other state forums. This poll will be open for 48 hours.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-19-2007 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: close vote - poll extended for another 24 hours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 08:31 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
I say no. I mean half of our state is NY-centered and half is Philly-centered, so if we create metro subforums, what's left? Even for very Jersey-specific topics (like "Schools in Maplewood") I think it would be unclear where to place it. Would the example be more appropriate in the larger NJ forum because it's a local topic in NJ, or in the NYC-metro subforum because Maplewood is in suburban NNJ/NY? Even if instructions are clear, first-time readers and posters may not "get it."

And furthermore, where do you draw the line? So many people looking for info are looking for "a house within 1 hr commute of NYC." That could lead them to many different parts of the state. North Jersey, Central Jersey, NW Jersey, etc. could be options for them, and a state-wide (or at least a very large portion of the state) search may be necessary for them.

I think our state is geographically small enough and that the people who contribute know so much about many parts of the state, that we can just leave it all as one big NJ forum. One stop shopping for everything Jersey.

So yeah, my vote is "No."

Old 06-19-2007, 11:38 AM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,297,635 times
I think it is a great idea since there are just too many new members coming to join City-Data and many people relocating to Greater NJ area from out of state with job at NYC while looking to live at New Jersey. Some people working at NYC and living at NYC but seeking a better living environment in NJ, so the "commute from NJ to NYC" sub forum would help many new comers from NYC to buy at NJ with easy access to public transportation to NYC such as NJ Transit line, ferry, bus line ...etc. and that would help many NJ condo/townhouse sellers who do not need to access train anymore (e.g. retired or get a job in NJ) to sell their unit and in term to buy house at suburban away from train, ferry or bus.

Of course, there are other groups of members got a job at NJ and going to live at NJ and other pure NJ issues and topics that can continue on NJ forum. Most of them have cars and concerned other issues such as commute route, traffic, ...etc. and they will also benefit from able to sell their small house and move up to bigger house or new construction.

The new sub forum name could be something like:

Commute from NJ to NYC Subforum

After all, most people relocate to NJ, the most important factor is "how to commute to work", and if working at NYC, choosing a commutable town or community is the first issue to face.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:40 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I say no. I mean half of our state is NY-centered and half is Philly-centered, so if we create metro subforums, what's left? Even for very Jersey-specific topics (like "Schools in Maplewood") I think it would be unclear where to place it. Would the example be more appropriate in the larger NJ forum because it's a local topic in NJ, or in the NYC-metro subforum because Maplewood is in suburban NNJ/NY? Even if instructions are clear, first-time readers and posters may not "get it."

And furthermore, where do you draw the line? So many people looking for info are looking for "a house within 1 hr commute of NYC." That could lead them to many different parts of the state. North Jersey, Central Jersey, NW Jersey, etc. could be options for them, and a state-wide (or at least a very large portion of the state) search may be necessary for them.

I think our state is geographically small enough and that the people who contribute know so much about many parts of the state, that we can just leave it all as one big NJ forum. One stop shopping for everything Jersey.

So yeah, my vote is "No."
I agree. Not only that, but the forum is going to include areas of NY and CT (and some may even argue PA) - it's going to be a cluster... never mind.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:06 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
All of NJ is technically in the NY metro area. But I think it's a good idea to have a separate forum, for the questions that are very specifically geared towards the area nearest NYC and commuting to NYC. I feel like the same 5 questions regarding living/working in the NYC area are asked over and over again because they get lost after a few days. Questions that could go either way or cover a large area should remain in the main NJ forum.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:13 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
All of NJ is technically in the NY metro area.
I think that there are many people in the southern half of the state that would vehemently disagree with your statement
My vote is against this idea, it would water down the NJ forum, it would add confusion, and it just isn't needed

Old 06-19-2007, 08:15 PM

62 posts, read 291,667 times
I vote No for a separate subforum.

All the areas of NJ are covered here already.

"NYC Metro Area" will quickly become a confusing clusterf... of postings because "NYC Metro" could mean many different places to many different folks.

Jersey City is as radically different from Bridgeport as Trenton is from Long Island or Princeton from Elizabeth. Yet they're all in the NYC Metro area.

It's just too vast of an area, encompassing too many parts of 4 different states. One poster has already stated that "all of NJ is in the NYC Metro" ..which is technically incorrect. But hey, if you're willing to drive 4 hours...
Besides, adding to the confusion is that many cities will have different laws, tax rates and administration. These are things that many of those doing research and looking for info regarding the "NYC Metro Area" might not realize, mistakenly misguided into thinking it's all one homogenous urban area.

I think it's easier for posters to simply ask directly about the specific "NYC Metro Area" in NJ that they're interested in. The people willing to consider (because indeed it officially is) CT as part of the NYC Metro can go to that state's forum for more precise info. Same for PA and other parts of NY.

Hell, NYC is such an influential city that even CA seems to somehow fall within the NYC Metro area if you consider it closely.
They're just in denial about it.

Last edited by Sal Monella; 06-19-2007 at 08:25 PM..

Old 06-20-2007, 12:29 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
All of NJ is technically in the NY metro area. But I think it's a good idea to have a separate forum, for the questions that are very specifically geared towards the area nearest NYC and commuting to NYC. I feel like the same 5 questions regarding living/working in the NYC area are asked over and over again because they get lost after a few days. Questions that could go either way or cover a large area should remain in the main NJ forum.
I don't think creating a separate subforum would solve the re-ask problem. I think if someone asks a question in one forum, someone who knows the answer or someone who has the same question may be posting in the other forum.

Using the Maplewood example again. Let's say Mary lives in NJ and is considering moving from Union to Maplewood. She wants to know about schools for her children. Where does she look? NJ Forum? NYC Metro forum? Let's pretend Mary considers herself a full-blooded NJ'er and posts in the NJ Forum a thread called "Schools in Maplewood: Are they safe???" Let's now suppose that Boris is considering a move from Manhattan to NJ. He's heard about some NJ places including Maplewood. He has the same question about schools that Mary does, but Boris (being from NYC) has a NYC worldview and posts his thread in the NYC Metro forum "Are the Schools in Maplewood good?" Great, now we have two Maplewood schools threads going at once.

Then the geography question... what defines "NYC Metro"?? The Census CSA definition? That includes all NJ counties down through Ocean. So Ocean County topics are NYC Metro topics? Maybe some people would consider them to be, maybe others would not. Some may think it appropriate to post a thread about Newark (NJ's largest city, only 8 miles from NYC) in the NJ forum. Someone else may be commuting to Manhattan from Hamilton (50 miles away) and post a thread about Hamilton in the NYC metro forum.

Yeah, these are weird hypotheticals, but this kind of stuff will happen all the time. And providing instructions won't help. Why complicate things? I don't think the new subforum would make things easier for anyone. It will just add another layer of "stuff" to sift through.

I've been in messageboard communities that have had multiple layers of forums/subforums and it gets messy. About a year ago Urbanplanet.org did away with some of the subforums they had in the past because people didn't understand where to look for info and where to post.

I just think it's a bad idea. I'm sure it makes sense to do this kind of separation in a state like California, but in New Jersey? I think it's unnecessarily complicating things.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:02 AM

311 posts, read 1,376,951 times
I also voted no. There is already a New York City forum, which in my mind would encompass the metro area. I am frequently on the Nashville forum. It includes posts not only for Nashville, but for the Nashville metro area as well. The same concept applies here.

Further, the "metro area" is not well defined. The U.S. government, when it defines Metropolitan Statistical Areas, has New York on its own. New Jersey is broken down into several MSA's. If I am correct, I believe that Bergen and Passaic County make up one, while the counties of Essex, Morris, Sussex, Warren and Union make up one and Hudson is also on its own. For NJ commuters however, the metro area normally includes all of Northeast NJ.

Lastly, New Jersey is distinct from New York. Yes, they are neighbors, but they are not one and the same. I don't like being lumped in together as though it was part of the same state. This is starting to become a pet peeve. I have noticed at the airport when I fly into Newark, the airport is listed as "NYC-Newark". This annoys me because I am not flying into New York at all. On the radio, an announcer also referenced "New York's 3 major airports". New Yorkers may service New Jersey's airport and vice versa, but the fact is that New York has 2 major airports (JFK and La Guardia). Newark Airport is in New Jersey.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:54 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times
I just don't see the need for it. The more likely add would be a southern NJ subforum but I don't really think that's paramount either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey