Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:10 PM

334 posts, read 731,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
No, it's not downtown. If you had read my post carefully, I said stores would do well on PERIPHERY of downtown b/c the Home Depot, etc. do well there. You said the Springfield ave. marketplace wouldn't do well b/c stores were closing downtown, but I pointed out the Springfield ave. marketplace ISN'T downtown.

and 'NO', it wasn't theft (Old Navy), (whether you saw it w/ your own eyes or not), national retailers have been closing under-performing stores

Business Closings in 2009 Due To Economy | Jonathan Klunk - Interior Design Blog | Louisville, KY

True, I live in West Orange and the Old Navy on Route 10 closed about the same time as the one in Newark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 11:17 PM

334 posts, read 731,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
Sure so lets have a fiscal plan that doesn't involve needing a huge subsidy.... which means the people have to get educated and if foreigners that can barely speak english can make it into college why can't the kids BORN and raised here do the same? LAZINESS and NO GUIDANCE that's why. When your housing is free or subsidized and food is subsidized you have NO incentives to improve. Foreigners come here because they are almost starving with no opportunities in their homelands. They don't stand around with baggy pants and listening to stupid hip hop... they find out how to compete and work hard and in the end take US jobs away. THAT has to change first... get rid of the handouts and section 8 housing. You can't afford to live here then good get the hell out and move to kentucky where rent is 400 a month and work at McDonalds and educate yourself through community college so you can compete then come back. That is how foreigners are doing it and slowly taking over.
I used to wear baggy pants (back in the day, but no underwear showing like now), still listen to some stupid hip hop music. I also have a Master's Degree, run an afterschool program, coach middle school sports and am respected in my semi-affluent school district. So what does that make me?

Don't generalize. It doesn't make you look very smart in the end.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:19 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,087,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
Truth hurts doesn't it....

oh yeah show me some million dollar condos in Newark... there aren't any but there is a TON in philly.... why is that?!?

Philadelphia's million-dollar condos | Philadelphia Inquirer | 05/03/2010 (http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20100503_Philadelphia_s_million-dollar_condos.html - broken link)

and don't forget Rittenhouse sq.
Newark's a 26 sq mi city shy of 300k, Philadelphia is a city of approx. 1.5 million (you know, only the 6th largest city in the United States) and approx. 130 sq mi.

Um...w/ those numbers Philly had BETTER have more million dollar condos, among other things.

If you're going to compare something at least do it logically. Newark is in the right range for a city of its size. Forest Hills has homes near $700 (and saw one in the 800k's), so what does it all mean?

Old 07-22-2010, 04:36 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,629 times
Quote:
Newark's a 26 sq mi city shy of 300k, Philadelphia is a city of approx. 1.5 million (you know, only the 6th largest city in the United States) and approx. 130 sq mi.

Um...w/ those numbers Philly had BETTER have more million dollar condos, among other things.

If you're going to compare something at least do it logically. Newark is in the right range for a city of its size. Forest Hills has homes near $700 (and saw one in the 800k's), so what does it all mean?
I looked into this and didn't see any evidence of houses selling in Forest Hill for 800k. These places are going for 600k at the most, which supports my point that rich people generally aren't willing to live in Newark (which shouldn't surprise anyone who reads this forum). Why would someone who can afford Montclair, South Orange, Manhattan or Brooklyn live in Newark voluntarily ?

That to me is a pretty good indicator of the vitality of a city -- are rich people willing to live there ? Are white people willing to live there ?

As for Philly being a larger city -- yes, it's large by population because there is enough industry there to support a large population (e.g. the jobs didn't all leave the city) and large by area because the suburban neighborhoods on the edges of the city didn't break away. Can you imagine what would happen if Newark tried to merge with Montclair and South Orange ?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
I looked into this and didn't see any evidence of houses selling in Forest Hill for 800k. These places are going for 600k at the most, which supports my point that rich people generally aren't willing to live in Newark (which shouldn't surprise anyone who reads this forum). Why would someone who can afford Montclair, South Orange, Manhattan or Brooklyn live in Newark voluntarily ?

That to me is a pretty good indicator of the vitality of a city -- are rich people willing to live there ? Are white people willing to live there ?

As for Philly being a larger city -- yes, it's large by population because there is enough industry there to support a large population (e.g. the jobs didn't all leave the city) and large by area because the suburban neighborhoods on the edges of the city didn't break away. Can you imagine what would happen if Newark tried to merge with Montclair and South Orange ?
Philadelphia, like Newark, is one of the top ten poorest cities in the US.
Nearly a quarter of Philadelphia's population lives in poverty (which would probably be equal to that of Newark's entire population.)

The Top Ten Poorest Cities in The United States

That's a much better analysis of a city's vitality (not simply how much homes are going for). Especially considering...who's buying what? I also ponder this: if Philly has a sizable wealthy-class, it also must have an extremely high poverty-stricken class to offset it if it can still manage to be such a poor city.

As far as homes going for more than 600k, check the link below. Some of those homes are even in foreclosure which is why I don't believe in going solely on home worth (which, FWIW, is a factor).

Forest Hill Real Estate & Forest Hill Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Yes, I can indeed imagine South Orange merging w/ Newark (after all, most of Newark's surrounding suburbs were once a part of Newark)

Another difference we have is that I do not see white residents as immediately synonymous w/ wealth vs. middle-class income (white/black or otherwise)

----Philly's industry does not automatically put it on stable population grounds. It just started gaining population after decades of loss:

http://www.pewtrusts.org/our_work_re....aspx?id=57931

excerpt: On the poverty front in Philadelphia, the only good news was that the percentage of poor people in the city didn’t go up. But beyond the human dimension of the problem, having more than 24 percent of the population living below the poverty line is a drag on the city’s future and puts it at a competitive disadvantage in relation to many other cities.

sounds like Newark to me

Last edited by 66nexus; 07-22-2010 at 08:33 PM..

Old 07-22-2010, 08:25 PM

Additionally,

I would cede that size isn't everything. However, anyone place Philly against a bunch of mid-sized cities and point out just how much more Philly has.

Newark, is not totally unlike other mid-sized cities. I like Philly for what it is, not because it isn't Newark.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:36 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,629 times
Quote:
Philadelphia, like Newark, is one of the top ten poorest cities in the US.
Nearly a quarter of Philadelphia's population lives in poverty (which would probably be equal to that of Newark's entire population.)

The Top Ten Poorest Cities in The United States

That's a much better analysis of a city's vitality
Not only is it not any kind of "analysis", it also isn't a very good measure of vitality. By that measure, New York is comparable to Elizabeth or East Orange (both about 18% in poverty according to city-data stats)

Quote:
(not simply how much homes are going for).
How much homes are going for is a pretty good indicator of how desirable the city is.

Quote:
As far as homes going for more than 600k, check the link below.

Forest Hill Real Estate & Forest Hill Homes For Sale — Trulia.com
I'm interested in closed sales, not listings. The most expensive listing is for 650, but it's not going to sell for that.

Quote:
Yes, I can indeed imagine South Orange merging w/ Newark (after all, most of Newark's surrounding suburbs were once a part of Newark)
I think most South Orange residents would have a very different opinion.

Quote:
Another difference we have is that I do not see white residents as immediately synonymous w/ wealth vs. middle-class income (white/black or otherwise)
It's necessary, but not sufficient. Once the dominant group won't live there, the place becomes, by definition, a ghetto. However, the fact that the dominant group live there doesn't make it desirable.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:53 AM

431 posts, read 942,501 times
Newark is in very bad shape for a very long time: Newark Budget Cuts (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/politics/newark-budget-cuts-20100722 - broken link)

Old 07-23-2010, 12:38 PM

22 posts, read 68,218 times
Quote:
The Newark/Maplewood border runs along Irvington Ave. and one would only see a Walgreen's/police station and shopping center and not really know it's Newark.

There is crime spillover, but not to a significant degree as most of these towns have extremely low crime rates
One would also see the Ivy Hill towers, which are clearly an urban housing structure and are much, much taller than anything else in South Orange, residential or otherwise.

As far as the crime spillover, it depends on what you consider a "significant degree." The amount of crime in South Orange or Maplewood might seem statistically insignificant to the amount of crime in Newark proper, but they are still quite high compared to many other "suburbs." South Orange also borders Orange, and as mentioned, Maplewood borders Irvington. There are a lot of property crimes and auto thefts/damages in South Orange and Maplewood, and they seem to me to be increasing. The index in 2008 for South Orange does not indicate that, but this year has been pretty bad, check out the crime reports on South Orange Patch.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryblossoms View Post
One would also see the Ivy Hill towers, which are clearly an urban housing structure and are much, much taller than anything else in South Orange, residential or otherwise.

As far as the crime spillover, it depends on what you consider a "significant degree." The amount of crime in South Orange or Maplewood might seem statistically insignificant to the amount of crime in Newark proper, but they are still quite high compared to many other "suburbs." South Orange also borders Orange, and as mentioned, Maplewood borders Irvington. There are a lot of property crimes and auto thefts/damages in South Orange and Maplewood, and they seem to me to be increasing. The index in 2008 for South Orange does not indicate that, but this year has been pretty bad, check out the crime reports on South Orange Patch.
Ivy Hill towers are indeed taller than anything in South Orange. And...?

No, South Orange and Maplewood are not high crime suburbs. You say they are but then say that numbers for 2008 don't reflect that. It can't be both. If the numbers are only bad for this year that only serves to say that it didn't increase until just now...and Newark's had high crime for decades.

Last edited by 66nexus; 07-23-2010 at 03:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey