Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 12:43 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Like lightning.

Most Dangerous States - WalletPop
^ AZ is #8

Safest States - WalletPop
^ NJ is #16

It says " It has the lowest rate of rape in America" for NJ- So that's how i figured it was based on rates.
Very interesting stuff. Thanks! Gonna go read through now, it in more detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 12:47 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,623 times
Can a typical Newark resident outrun a 9mm bullet?

Old 10-02-2010, 12:54 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Can a typical Newark resident outrun a 9mm bullet?
This depends entirely on whether or not the bullet has been fired.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:11 PM

97 posts, read 238,622 times
I said to myself, "Is this like a mini New York City? Is this a tough city? Is there a ghetto? What is the current population? Where are the safe places? Is it expensive for an 18 year old young male to get an apartment on his own considering the index of living? Can he survive on his own? Is there a lot of poor people in Newark? Is it even a downtown? I'm curious, not just because of the city, but New Jersey itself. It is very convex to my way of thinking as far as a city 18 year old black male is concerned."

Old 09-19-2012, 07:25 PM

271 posts, read 417,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
Seriously, I think you're making this up.

According to the city data crime index, crime in Philadelphia in 2008 was lower than it was in 1999 or 2000.

Homicides in Newark were higher than in Philly every year from 1999 to 2008 except 2001.

Median household income was higher in Philadelphia than Newark in 2008.

As for racial tension -- you've got to be kidding me. The reason there's not much "racial tension" in Newark is that the white people all left. The racial tension is still there, it has just spilled onto the suburbs neighboring Newark. Philly is about 50% white and 50% black (see census stats on city-data). This generally doesn't happen in Jersey -- most of the white people generally skip town before it becomes 50% black.

Anyway, what I meant was more along these lines -- one important measure of how well the city is doing, is whether rich people are willing to live there, and perhaps another one is whether white people are willing to live there. Definitely true of Philly, not so much of Newark.

Newark has gotten such a bad name for itself, that even neighboring suburbs bordering Newark are considered guilty by association, whereas in Philly the areas adjacent to the city are quite desirable (indeed, the area just across the city line is seen as a kind of tax haven)
bs.

hi there

newark has never been ANYWHERE CLOSE TO PHILLY .... IN ALMOST EVER

1999 - 292 ... PHILLY IS MORE THAN DOUBLE
2000 58- 319 PHILLY IS MORE THAN DOUBLE
2001 90 309 PHILLY IS MORE THAN DOUBLE
THE TREND DOESNT CHANGE ...

and IM SOOOOOOOOO SORRY BUT SINCE WHEN WAS CAMDEN " quiet desirable " huh ??? what was the last thing you did in camden ... chester aint no hoboken either ...

Old 09-19-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davante View Post
I said to myself, "Is this like a mini New York City? Is this a tough city? Is there a ghetto? What is the current population? Where are the safe places? Is it expensive for an 18 year old young male to get an apartment on his own considering the index of living? Can he survive on his own? Is there a lot of poor people in Newark? Is it even a downtown? I'm curious, not just because of the city, but New Jersey itself. It is very convex to my way of thinking as far as a city 18 year old black male is concerned."
ok to answer you question if you move to newark looking for new york city you might be disappointed ... its not new york ... its truly its own separate city ... as far as getting an apartment the rents there are almost half the rent of nyc ... it has great public transit and some walkable neighborhoods ... the downtown is more noticeable than say downtown atlanta or cleveland or buffalo... its got performance halls an airport a seaport a subway system ( limited but with efforts to expand ) as far as poor people ... yeah they do exist .. there are also some lawyers police officers but the teachers got a whole block that they are renovating ...

is it all the way there as the next big city to boom ? NO!

it needs to establish MORE non violent neighborhoods and try to have the people have a since of community pride... it doesnt have a zoo ( most cities have some form of a zoo) it doesnt have a real playground/basketball court anywhere near downtown ( would be a HUGE incentive if parents were able to leave there kids at a park and go to say the tax office and then come back and pick up jr) a fully accessible subway system to bind the city together.

however ... it is on the upswing ... it has some neighborhoods that have experienced a boom it has an airport, seaport , subway connection to nyc, prudential center looks nice, panasonic just moved there headquarters there ... prudental is building a bigger building next to it ... and it offers you a chance to live in an urban environment and still not be in nyc but have the convinces and 24 hour access... its like jamaica queens in short

Old 09-30-2012, 08:37 PM

17 posts, read 79,087 times
all this talk about cherry picking for stats, philly vs newark, is nonsense. No offense to 66nexus or nexus4jersey or any of the regulars who normally post comments i agree with or comments i might not agree with but not to the point where i would prepare an insult in return ... that being said, i have lived in newark all of my life. I am Irish White, 100 percent, caucasion. Only mentioning that due to the subject matter of this post. I lived in philly for 3 years, like all kids when i turned 18 i wanted to just Get Away, so i did. I liked philly. When i moved there, i could only afford a simple apartment in the worst part, on the border of north and west philly, on lehigh ave and 29th street. I soon got a job and 'got the hell out' so to speak, and moved to Kensington, an area with a lot of white people still hanging on but is now mostly hispanic, and is plagued by drugs and prostitution, and i found my 'more expensive' apartment to be in a far worse neighborhood (white/peurto rican) than my previous 'ghetto' apartment in north philly on lehigh. I eventually moved to south philly, by 2nd and oregon, a middle class to upper middle class mostly irish neighborhood, and liked it. But looking back, i liked all of the spots in philly i lived. When my lease ran up and i got laid off simultaneously, i moved back to north philly, in an area arguably the WORST in the whole city, around 27th and Oxford, and met some friends who i will be in contact with for life. As far as newark is concerned, i grew up in vailsburg until the age of 9, when we moved down neck (ironbound) to chestnut street (by the park). I love newark, and my heritage. As far as racial tensions, they were EQUAL in philly and newark. Both cities had their own riots if you look back in history. Only advantage philly has is, as someone already said - size, and also that the riots in philly happened 26 years earlier in philly than in newark, so newark hasnt had as much time to recover. Most of my friends are of AA or Hispanic Descent, as i did grow up in newark, but dont be fooled, there are a lot more white holdouts, so to speak, in the more 'ghetto' areas of newark, not just in the east and north wards as people would want you to believe. Somebody did speak a truth before, that if you are white and in an area you 'dont belong' according to society, such as i am frequently, the cops do stop you and assume you are on drugs or buying them. This needs to stop. As booker HAS lowered the crime, he has let the cops run wild as well ... racial profiling should not exist in any form of government. And under sharps rule, yes, corruption, but not as much profiling. So i would say that id still choose booker over james, but also that james isnt the monster people make him out to be. Honestly, id rather not have either, i think we need a conservative mayor who will clamp the services that give people everything for free at the exspense of people like my parents who have owned property in newark and worked all their lives. But hey, just my opinion. Sorry about the rambling sort of writing, im not the best at putting written words together.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickCityIrishMick View Post
all this talk about cherry picking for stats, philly vs newark, is nonsense. No offense to 66nexus or nexus4jersey or any of the regulars who normally post comments i agree with or comments i might not agree with but not to the point where i would prepare an insult in return ... that being said, i have lived in newark all of my life. I am Irish White, 100 percent, caucasion. Only mentioning that due to the subject matter of this post. I lived in philly for 3 years, like all kids when i turned 18 i wanted to just Get Away, so i did. I liked philly. When i moved there, i could only afford a simple apartment in the worst part, on the border of north and west philly, on lehigh ave and 29th street. I soon got a job and 'got the hell out' so to speak, and moved to Kensington, an area with a lot of white people still hanging on but is now mostly hispanic, and is plagued by drugs and prostitution, and i found my 'more expensive' apartment to be in a far worse neighborhood (white/peurto rican) than my previous 'ghetto' apartment in north philly on lehigh. I eventually moved to south philly, by 2nd and oregon, a middle class to upper middle class mostly irish neighborhood, and liked it. But looking back, i liked all of the spots in philly i lived. When my lease ran up and i got laid off simultaneously, i moved back to north philly, in an area arguably the WORST in the whole city, around 27th and Oxford, and met some friends who i will be in contact with for life. As far as newark is concerned, i grew up in vailsburg until the age of 9, when we moved down neck (ironbound) to chestnut street (by the park). I love newark, and my heritage. As far as racial tensions, they were EQUAL in philly and newark. Both cities had their own riots if you look back in history. Only advantage philly has is, as someone already said - size, and also that the riots in philly happened 26 years earlier in philly than in newark, so newark hasnt had as much time to recover. Most of my friends are of AA or Hispanic Descent, as i did grow up in newark, but dont be fooled, there are a lot more white holdouts, so to speak, in the more 'ghetto' areas of newark, not just in the east and north wards as people would want you to believe. Somebody did speak a truth before, that if you are white and in an area you 'dont belong' according to society, such as i am frequently, the cops do stop you and assume you are on drugs or buying them. This needs to stop. As booker HAS lowered the crime, he has let the cops run wild as well ... racial profiling should not exist in any form of government. And under sharps rule, yes, corruption, but not as much profiling. So i would say that id still choose booker over james, but also that james isnt the monster people make him out to be. Honestly, id rather not have either, i think we need a conservative mayor who will clamp the services that give people everything for free at the exspense of people like my parents who have owned property in newark and worked all their lives. But hey, just my opinion. Sorry about the rambling sort of writing, im not the best at putting written words together.
it flowed ...made since to me.. You are right but the thing is its the same for a black person. When I walked threw alpine i felt unsafe because i noticed that i stand out. I had no intentions of doing any wrong doing but i was eyed by every person who passed in a car. Honestly I have never seen a crime happen firsthand outside of Englewood but even crime in Englewood can become annoying after a while being that i lived in the hotspot but ive noticed that a purposeful walk with tons of confidence and direct eye contact has kept me safe almost everywhere i have ever gone. Newark needs to build up lincoln park and the rest of university heights. That creates a circle of safe neighborhoods surrounding downtown (Lincoln park, Ironbound, University Heights, Branch Brook). OR annex the other towns and build subway lines and redo the whole central ward and let the trickle down effect take place. but a city with no identifiable safe neighborhoods aint a plus

Old 10-01-2012, 11:13 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWK student rapper View Post
it flowed ...made since to me.. You are right but the thing is its the same for a black person. When I walked threw alpine i felt unsafe because i noticed that i stand out. I had no intentions of doing any wrong doing but i was eyed by every person who passed in a car. Honestly I have never seen a crime happen firsthand outside of Englewood but even crime in Englewood can become annoying after a while being that i lived in the hotspot but ive noticed that a purposeful walk with tons of confidence and direct eye contact has kept me safe almost everywhere i have ever gone. Newark needs to build up lincoln park and the rest of university heights. That creates a circle of safe neighborhoods surrounding downtown (Lincoln park, Ironbound, University Heights, Branch Brook). OR annex the other towns and build subway lines and redo the whole central ward and let the trickle down effect take place. but a city with no identifiable safe neighborhoods aint a plus
LMAO , you felt unsafe in Alpine....haha Englewoods Crime Problems are due to the fact that up here in Bergen County people don't want to acknowledge that we have a gang problems...they think its a Inner city issue. The Truth is we have a huge gang problem , you may not have shootings everyday like in the Bronx or Brooklyn...but we have daily fights some requiring riot police or officers from other towns , we have car teft issues ,hard Drugs like Heroin and crack are starting to surface....and still people don't want to acknowledge we have an issue... At least in Urban Jersey People know there is drug and crime issues and try to fix them...up here people's minds are on clouds...

As for the Subway , you could look at the Proposed Newark Metro...

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...ca1a1b1c&msa=0

Old 10-05-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
LMAO , you felt unsafe in Alpine....haha Englewoods Crime Problems are due to the fact that up here in Bergen County people don't want to acknowledge that we have a gang problems...they think its a Inner city issue. The Truth is we have a huge gang problem , you may not have shootings everyday like in the Bronx or Brooklyn...but we have daily fights some requiring riot police or officers from other towns , we have car teft issues ,hard Drugs like Heroin and crack are starting to surface....and still people don't want to acknowledge we have an issue... At least in Urban Jersey People know there is drug and crime issues and try to fix them...up here people's minds are on clouds...

As for the Subway , you could look at the Proposed Newark Metro...

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...ca1a1b1c&msa=0
lol i did!!! when everyone slows down and stares. i didnt wanna get pulled over by some cop on some made up charge. Englewood has every crime that newark has except prostitution ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey