Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 11:59 AM

232 posts, read 612,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Why shouldn't these people be given a chance to live in decent communities as long they are going to contribute positively to them?
As long as they're paying the same price for the house that the rest of the neighbors are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 12:01 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Bloe View Post
As long as they're paying the same price for the house that the rest of the neighbors are.
even grandma who bought in 1962 for $15K? or should everyone pay like it's 2005?

Old 08-06-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
even grandma who bought in 1962 for $15K? or should everyone pay like it's 2005?

Don't think anyone should get a break on the price based on their income level.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:46 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times
Quote:
But grandma who bought for $15K in 1962 has paid 48 years worth of property taxes---that's probably $150,000 to $175,000 just in property taxes, and I think that's a low estimate. I give grandma a break.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:24 PM

72 posts, read 108,090 times
Quote:
yawn. you're the one who grew up in tenafly, correct? and now live in mountain lakes? forgive me if I don't believe you were most likely born into circumstances that 99% of the population wouldn't give their left arm for.

LOTS of successful people became successful through no hard work, no perseverance and no sacrifice, but solely because they were born into the right family.

How insulting is this phrase: "It is damn harder to WORK YOUR BUTT OFF TO REACH Financial Success & Give the best education for your kids THAN TO be in a threadmill & REMAIN POOR !!!"

You show me a rich person who worked hard, and I'll show you a working class poor person working 10xs harder. I make multiple times the income my parents did *together* and I'll tell you what - they worked MUCH harder than I ever did or do. What an elitist statement you made. Shame on you.

let me jump in here.

some here seem to mix up " Working Hard" & " Hard Work".

I was an educator for many years in NJ High schools for Northern NJ before realizing 12 years ago that I needed to make " Real Money" if I needed to provide the education for my kids that I wanted.

I built a 1 person start-up 11 years ago using my expertise in College applications & financial aid to help thousands of parents. Today, we are a staff of 35 employees & I just opened a 2nd branch in NY last January with a staff of 4.

Having a rough manual job in construction, or paving the roads , or collecting garbage disposals in HARD WORK.

But that DOES NOT mean that a Successful Corporate Executive or a Successful Business owner working in an Office environment works LESS EFFORT or does NOT work as hard as a manual related job

The problem with people who REFUSE to accept responsibility for their Financial status in life is they SOMEHOW believe that a person who is successful & wealthy made it thru pure Luck or because of their parents, or some flimsy excuse.

People..... you will NEVER EVER reach any sort of Financial independence or well being in your ENTIRE lifetime ( and yes, million upon millions go 6 feet under without ever figuring this out) UNTIL YOU REALIZE......

-Most Billionaires & Millionaires in America are SELF-MADE !!!! Get that straight. ! They came from regular families

- That wealthy/Rich/Affluent people are not the demon, the devil.
In fact, the SACRIFICE, the HOURS, the PRESSURE of RISKING EVERYTHING without a security of a paycheck for many years until they reach the top SAYS SOMETHING ABOUT THEM as a GROUP.

80% of americans would rather watch TV for hours every night, 80% of americans have the luxury of shutting off their JOBS after 5pm

-80% of americans would NEVER worked 6 or 7 days per week for years

-80% of the population would NEVER SPEND most of their money just to send their kids to the BEST SCHOOLS which cost tons of money.

-80% of people will FOREVER pick the SECURITY OF A PAYCHECK over
Self Employment, Entrepreneurship & Business.

-80% of people WOULD NEVER EVER pay $2000, $3000, $5000 EVERY MONTH for their business rent, equipment, marketing, NEVER !!!!

Then you wonder why the WEALTHY always stays at 10% to 20% of the population.

Asian kids spend 3 hours a night studying their butt off. They do less Entertainment & More studying.

Then, come 18, they get into HARVARD, YALE, UPENN while the american kid across the street WHO SPENT LOTS of time playing baseball, watching american Idol, hanging in the Mall all his teen years- ENDS UP in Morris County Community College or WORSE- NEVER GOES TO COLLEGE & starts some manual job .

Now tell me, in 15 to 20 years, Who will Very Likely become Well-off, affluent Wealthy????

Folks, Stop the excuses !!!! Stop the Justification!!!!

I'm Irish/ Italian but I got to tell you.

Jews were denied admission to IVY league schools for many years. Jews were denied admission to Top medical schools for years. jews were denied admission to Top Law schools for decades.

What did they do??? Did they cry or did they WORK THEIR BUTTS off???

Who are the Very Best Lawyers, Accountants, Doctors, Investment Bankers, CEO's, Hollywood Producers, IVY Professors TODAY in AMERICA????

Successful people create their own luck! Successful people WORK VERY HARD but also work VERY SMART!!!!

Good luck to all of you ! Some of you need to really think about your views on Success & failure!!! Way Too many excuses!!!

There is nothing wrong with being poor, middle class. But there is something very wrong when you somehow portray a segment of society as EVIL just because they reached financial success in life. Wealthy people GIVE MORE, MUCH MUCH MORE aid to the poor than 99% of middle class people. Why??? Who can give millions but the millionaire!!! How can someone who is struggling himself give hundreds or thousands to others when he can barely take care of his own.

P.S. I have 35 people working for me. I COME IN FIRST EVERY DAY , I LEAVE LAST EVERY DAY!!!

Dont ever confuse Hard Work & Working Hard !!!!

A Black kid with a single mom would NOT be President TODAY if he did not work his butt of to study VERY HARD & oneday get to Columbia, Get to Harvard- become a Lawyer, and now President

A poor southern White kid with an alcoholic Step Father would HAVE NEVER EVER been accepted to Yale, Georgetown if HE DID NOT WORK VERY VERY HARD in school to get there. yes Bill clinton !!!

Old 08-06-2010, 01:29 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
But grandma who bought for $15K in 1962 has paid 48 years worth of property taxes---that's probably $150,000 to $175,000 just in property taxes, and I think that's a low estimate. I give grandma a break.
EssUx, nuff said.

Whatever happened to that secession thing that the whole western half of Essex County was going to break away because of the taxes? Did the whole "Wessex" plan fall through the cracks or was it just simply forgotten about?

Old 08-06-2010, 01:45 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Whatever happened to that secession thing that the whole western half of Essex County was going to break away because of the taxes? Did the whole "Wessex" plan fall through the cracks or was it just simply forgotten about?
That is a whole 'nother can of contentious worms. Some towns wanted to break away and form a separate county "Wessex" and other towns wanted to join Morris County.

It's never gonna happen. It was a whole lot of talk and posturing, but that's about it.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post

It's never gonna happen. It was a whole lot of talk and posturing, but that's about it.

Are you out of your friggin' mind ?? A lot of talk and posturing ?? We would give our left nuts to break away from the rest of Essex County. You think we like all our money going to Newark and getting squat back from the county? Think Newark would ever let that happen? All the money pulling out ??

It was shot down quicker then you could say "bankrupt" form the "eastern" side of Essex County.......................

Old 08-06-2010, 02:02 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
successful people create their own luck? that's a fallacy. successful people certainly work hard. a lot of good points were made. but luck is luck. and i'd love to see some references to those stats. that's a lot of 80%.

if bill gates was born a few years earlier or a few years later, he never would have had that encounter with xerox. someone else would be the pioneer of the modern OS.

sorry, but luck is luck. hard work is hard work. many people get lucky, many people get unlucky.

and i like what warren buffet said when he pledged to give 99% of his wealth to charity - it's not a big deal for him to do it. his lifestyle doesn't change. he said we should commend those that make little and give to charity - because even those small contributions changes their week.

wealthy people may give much more dollars to the poor, but you'll find they don't give their time, which is much more valuable.

anyways - back to hating on affordable housing...

Old 08-06-2010, 02:03 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Bloe View Post
Are you out of your friggin' mind ?? A lot of talk and posturing ?? We would give our left nuts to break away from the rest of Essex County. You think we like all our money going to Newark and getting squat back from the county? Think Newark would ever let that happen? All the money pulling out ??

It was shot down quicker then you could say "bankrupt" form the "eastern" side of Essex County.......................
move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey