Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 03:04 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLuckoftheDraw View Post
People seem to need an mythical enemy to organize against.
I would change that to a "universal" enemy, rather than "mythical". I agree with this concept. Maybe the best thing that could happen to us would be an invasion by ET. Maybe THAT would finally pull us together to act in unison for the betterment of our worldwide situation.

But once the threat was over, we'd probably go back to this status-quo.

We're a weird species.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 03:11 PM

429 posts, read 931,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i know some but dont expect them to confirm my beliefs.

what other religion actually has such control over countries as the "islamic nations" do? they have many where thats the official language and there are severe restrictions on the actions of any other religous groups. there are many that may not be official, but islamic law is integrated very much in their legal system. you think that you can change that by voting? you will be killed. they are issuing death orders for people simply for burning a book. the only thing stopping that here is numbers. it happens everywhere they are. just do some research about where muslims are fighting, rioting, murdering, demanding autonomy, etc. etc. around the world. i think its funny that we believe bringing democracy to afghanistan and iraq will change anythingfor the better. the muslims will vote in an islamic dictatorship.
You're broadening the discussion wildly there. I had commented that I was surprised that someone might actually believe that all Muslims see the U.S. as an enemy and want to destroy it. That's a universal claim ("all x") about something very specific ("have view y"). That there are various ways that Islam is instantiated in different countries, that some Muslims have particular views, etc., wouldn't support anything about that universal claim.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:14 PM

429 posts, read 931,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
I would change that to a "universal" enemy, rather than "mythical".
Well, I used "mythical" because they mythologize a "better enemy"--they don't let the truth get in the way of a good demon that they've fictionalized.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:08 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times
OMG 36 pages!!!

I think it was one of those cable tv talk/news shows (Maher or Stewart or Colbert or someone) that said it best IMO...

paraphrasing
Quote:
...The fact that they are allowed to build a Mosque so close to Ground Zero shows the kind of people we are. The fact that they would build it so close to Ground Zero shows the kind of people they are...

Old 09-13-2010, 04:31 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
OMG 36 pages!!!

I think it was one of those cable tv talk/news shows (Maher or Stewart or Colbert or someone) that said it best IMO...

paraphrasing

...The fact that they are allowed to build a Mosque so close to Ground Zero shows the kind of people we are. The fact that they would build it so close to Ground Zero shows the kind of people they are...
"they" meaning americans, right? if not, please elaborate.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:39 PM
pvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
"they " meaning americans, right? if not, please elaborate.
No ... the "we" would be the Americans. The "they" refers to Faisal and his Cordoba Initiative.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:50 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
No ... the "we" would be the Americans. The "they" refers to Faisal and his Cordoba Initiative.
really? who said this?

Old 09-13-2010, 05:09 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
"they" meaning americans, right? if not, please elaborate.
I don't know how it was meant by the person who said it but, as far as "I" am concerned...
"We" refers to Americans and the wonderful freedoms our country/laws provide.
"They" refers to the people who want to build the Muslim cultural center so close to Ground Zero.

IMO, you are not an "American" (regardless of where you were born or your citizenship status) if you do not understand, on some level, the significance of building there. It would be like building a Vietnamese cultural center a few blocks away from the Vietnam memorial. Or a Japanese cultural center a few blocks away from the Pearl Harbor memorial.

Having lost friends (and almost losing my GF - now DW) in the 9/11 attacks it still affects me. I know its not one country's political decision to go to war with us. But it IS politics that caused so many to feel how they do about us and is the reason I feel my above comparisons are valid. The fact that the terrorists attacked us in the name of their religion validates my reasons for being insulted at the thought of building this "Muslim" Cultural Center where they are proposing to.

I am not anti Islam, but if the people building this center are truly trying to bridge the cultures (as then name of the center implies) and if their intentions are pure then, I would think they would have more compassion towards the people of NYC and the people who lost loved ones in that attack.

Just because something is legal, does not make it right.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:15 PM
pvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
I don't know how it was meant by the person who said it but, as far as "I" am concerned...
"We" refers to Americans and the wonderful freedoms our country/laws provide.
"They" refers to the people who want to build the Muslim cultural center so close to Ground Zero.

IMO, you are not an "American" (regardless of where you were born or your citizenship status) if you do not understand, on some level, the significance of building there. It would be like building a Vietnamese cultural center a few blocks away from the Vietnam memorial. Or a Japanese cultural center a few blocks away from the Pearl Harbor memorial.

Having lost friends (and almost losing my GF - now DW) in the 9/11 attacks it still affects me. I know its not one country's political decision to go to war with us. But it IS politics that caused so many to feel how they do about us and is the reason I feel my above comparisons are valid. The fact that the terrorists attacked us in the name of their religion validates my reasons for being insulted at the thought of building this "Muslim" Cultural Center where they are proposing to.

I am not anti Islam, but if the people building this center are truly trying to bridge the cultures (as then name of the center implies) and if their intentions are pure then, I would think they would have more compassion towards the people of NYC and the people who lost loved ones in that attack.

Just because something is legal, does not make it right.
Nicely put, Rob. I am sorry for your loss. Yup, still hurts, don't it?

Old 09-13-2010, 05:22 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
are you being sarcastic? there is really no two ways about it, if you are a muslim you want to put every country you are in under islamic law. generally its convert or die but i do believe there are ways for non-muslims to exist under islamic law but they are extremely restrictive. you think jihad is just something terrorist scream about? its in the religion.
you obviously have no idea what you're talking about, or are using some sort of propaganda that you were fed. why don't you talk to a muslim about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey