Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:44 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,316,919 times

Advertisements

Morristown is a good place for the stuff you're looking for. Another town with similar appeal is Montclair, which is not a bad commute to/from Parsippany either. Montclair is closer to NYC but the train service doesn't operate on weekends, until next year anyway. Express buses run 7 days/week though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 08:36 AM

51 posts, read 523,681 times
i would agree with most of the posters here. morristown sounds exactly like what you're looking for. hoboken is cool, but you're commute will be a lot longer to parsippany. guess it depends on how often you'll want to head into nyc. if you're going in every weekend, then hoboken or jersey city would probably be a better option.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:36 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,948,630 times
Been to Morristown a lot. Live in NYC. Morristown is NOT NYC. Agree with what Mead has written!

Old 07-19-2007, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 15,371 times
Default Morristown vs. NYC

Native New Yorker, 9 year Morristown resident, frequent D.C. partier in the day (late-30's now- so not too long ago):

If you're a go out to clubs and see live music person, you'll spend alot on NJ transit.

If you're a take-a-someone-out-for-a-nice-meal-after-work-and-see-where-things-lead-person, can do in Morristown.

If you're hit-the-stool-at-the-pub-at-5:15,-work-hard-till-closing guy: can do in Morritown.

Morristown is walkable at night (safe, short distances), especially if you're imbibing.

Great people, not all that diverse, though. Women are good looking, but again very same-same (preppy Irish chicks for the most part). Guys too (don't know your preference). No alt scene to speak of. One or two good coffeehouses.

Weekend into Manhattan is easy: take a car, cause the last train is around 11:30 or 12 (we have young kids so I'm not allowed to be on that train so often anymore)!

It's cleaner, safer than D.C.-proper, kinda Bethesda Chevy-Chase with a fruit-loop in the middle.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:00 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,883 times
Morristown is fairly diverse, but highly segregated. Most of the black people live down in "the Hollow" (anyone know the history of that phrase?) and Colombians (and other random Latin American immigrants) live along Speedwell ave from the Movie theater over to the high school. The rest of the town is fairly white. There are a lot of tensions between the blacks and spanish in Morristown as the Colombians slowly but surely displace black people out of their neighborhood. These tensions usually manifest themselves thru random knife fights at the high school. (As a sidenote, Morristown has one of the biggest concentrations of Colombian people in the USA as a percentage of the population).

If anything, with all of the newly planned luxury condos and the Mayor's plan to give the Spanish illegals the boot, the town might become whiter in the future.

If you are looking for NYC you will not find it in Morristown. If you are however looking for a decent old-school suburban area to live with fairly good restaurants and bars, then you can definitely find that in Morristown.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:13 PM

66 posts, read 391,054 times
Default Try New Brunswick

I am currently renting in New Brunswick and pleasantly surprised by the city and its amenities (theatres, festivals, arts, etc). It is a very diverse city and Rutgers brings tons of college and grad students to the area. The train is also in the center of the city and about the same commute to NYC as Morristown. (However will probably be longer drive to Parsippany vs Morristown, but I'm sure the people on the board will let you know).

Some parts of the city are not the best, but the town has been revitalizing for many years now and tons of new highrises and upscale restaurants have opened. If your from D.C. you should be used to this type of environment.

I felt the need to post b/c I had a conversation with a good friend who also rents in New Brunswick and previously lived in Morristown. He said New Brunswick has much more going on any day of the week.

Best of luck!

Old 07-19-2007, 09:14 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,883 times
New Brunswick is a pretty nice town, but the drive from New Brunswick to Parsippany during rush hour is easily going to be an hour. I don't know if the OP wants to have to deal with that.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 30,351 times
Default Nice town...

I'm from Morristown, born and raised. i enjoyed growing up in Morristown and a lot of people go away to college and come back. it's a small town with a lot of things to do, you just have to find them. I currently moved away again to finish my education but I do miss Morris County a lot. There are many little shops in Morristown and pretty much everything is close by. It's approx. 40 min. from NYC and it's near a lot of malls and things like that. So, if you have the opportunity, check it out. If you are working in the City the trains run frequently from Morristown and Morris Plains. There's just a lot there. Do I like it better than Hoboken, of course!!

Old 09-18-2007, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 30,351 times
Default reply to mead

umm... Mead, where do you get your information from? I lived in Morristown all of my life and i am African American and I DO NOT live in the 'hollow'. There are a lot of Latino, White, and East Indians that live in that area. The 'hollow' is a lower income area. So, maybe you need to do a little more research before you start telling people things you know nothing about. Get your information straight!!!!

Old 01-15-2008, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 14,770 times
Default Follow up - should I move to Morristown?

Imovealot,

I am looking into a job in Morristown and wondered whether you ended up moving to Morristown and if so, how you like it. I have the same concerns as you (single chic in my mid 30's and wondering if Morristown would be too "suburbia").

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey