Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:44 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,675 times

Advertisements

What's the deal with this town? On other threads I see people writing about it going downhill. I know it is somewhat less expensive than Scotch Plains/Westfield/Cranford/BH but more expensive than Union or Clark. Someone here said something about it beginning to "shift like Irvington did in the 1970s". Is this town taking a turn for the worst? What exactly is happening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 01:58 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
Probably the worst thing it suffers from iseing next to Union and maybe too many,,, well lets say "white folks" of a certain persuasion. Union is not that bad, but too me when I drive through there I feel its too crowded and impersonal and I get the feeling of "wholesale living". Springfield has a little more historic feeling going for it, but yet you look at towns such as E'town, steeped in history and sad to say we see how that has gone.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:46 AM

147 posts, read 411,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
What's the deal with this town? On other threads I see people writing about it going downhill. I know it is somewhat less expensive than Scotch Plains/Westfield/Cranford/BH but more expensive than Union or Clark. Someone here said something about it beginning to "shift like Irvington did in the 1970s". Is this town taking a turn for the worst? What exactly is happening?
Could you reference the thread about the town going downhill or beginning to shift like Irvington?

I'm moving there soon and this is of great concern to me.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:16 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
All in all, Springfield is not that bad IMO.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:38 AM

143 posts, read 416,126 times
Absolutely there is no comparison to Irvington! Springfield is probably more diverse than Westfield/CF, but not as much as Scotch Plains. It still has a large Jewish community. I think the elementary & middle schools are good, but the high school test scores are not on par with the other nice towns in the area like Westfield, Scotch Plains, Berkeley Heights/Mountainside & Cranford. My daughter's took dance across from the fire station for several years, I have been to the library, DMV and shopped there many, many times and I feel absolutely safe. There have been some robberies in stores on the highway (5 below & gamestop about 2 yrs ago), though, which is what people hear about. Homes throughout western Union County have come down in price quite a bit.
Compared to Cranford, though, IMO it is not as charming of a town, more homes built in the later half of the last century and not the downtown center you see in Cranford/Westfield.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:17 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immy View Post
Could you reference the thread about the town going downhill or beginning to shift like Irvington?

I can't find it. I don't even know if it was on this forum. I was looking to quote it, but I do remember reading it somewhere. I mean statistics show no evidence whatsoever of it taking a turn for the worst, and it looks like a decent town. That is why I was questioning someone saying that.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:45 PM

359 posts, read 1,100,091 times
well i live here,over 25years.springfield is next to $ummit,millburn,big money towns so springfields a bargain.change i dont see it its been the same for 25 years,so immy wecome to springfield.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:47 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,880 times
Woah, Springfield bad?? LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I have no idea where any refference to Irvington came from! Springfield is a very nice mostly Jewish and Italian town. It is more diverse then cranford but it is not that diverse. It has no bad areas the worst town it borders is Union and Union is ok. Immy, do not be concerned or worried at all the town is not even remotely similar to Irvington. Eventually, springfield will be more diverse because no town is immune to it. If you want to look at it as many people do with the Newark dominos essentially how every closeish suburb will be bad at some point then Id say Springfield will maybe tip in like 20 years? Assuming Union tips in about 5 years. Im looking at it from the falls of Newark then Irvington then hillside then union? springfield next? lol

All joking aside springfield is a very nice town do not have any concerns or worries living there, I am there a lot and its very nice only negative is no real downtown but its so close to Millburn and/or westfield/cranford.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:28 AM

71 posts, read 227,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immy View Post

you really shouldn't take Springfield's comparision to Irvington seriously - Irvington is an Abbott district, Springfield's high school is 40th in the state, it even got in the top 30 for a short time... the difference in the real estate values compared to Millburn and Westfield comes from occupation of the residents - it's mostly lower paying service industries(compared to Millburn and Summit): social workers, construction, some academia, IT, not much Wall Street... though there is somewhat like downtown on Morris Ave and a strip of shops on Mountain Ave, most people there go either to Millburn's downtown or Westfield's (depending on what part of the town you live)... the school is good, especially the lower one... Springfield has PK-2 separated in a single school (Early Educational Center), with a school bus and full day kindergarten... PK is half day, and you don't need a lottery (like in Millburn or Summit) to get in... I can say that Summit is now moving in Springfield's direction of separating the lower grades in a separate school - I guess they are eliminating bulling this way and expand the cirruculum to PK level...

the infrastructure is all there - you can either use a shuttle to Short Hills station or a bus to get to Midtown... lot's of options for kids activities and recreation, considering Millburn, Summit, and Westfield as bordering towns... South Mountain Reservation and Watchung Reservation are within 10 minutes

good luck in Springfield!

Old 10-05-2010, 07:36 AM

147 posts, read 411,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donald cherry View Post
well i live here,over 25years.springfield is next to $ummit,millburn,big money towns so springfields a bargain.change i dont see it its been the same for 25 years,so immy wecome to springfield.
Thank you Donald.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey