Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 04:19 PM

19 posts, read 75,375 times

Advertisements

My wife and I want to buy a home in a great neighborhood, on a quiet street. I want to be within 10 minute driving distance of Union, NJ.
Our top priority is a really safe, family-oriented neighborhood.

What are the differences between Union, Springfield and Kenilworth, or any other town that fit the above criteria?

Any advice on where to find gourmet supermarkets (a la Wegmans) in the area?

We are also looking for information on types of general shopping available in each town because we were in the walmart on rt 22 in union once and were a little scared for our safety. What are good shopping centers/options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 04:30 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,635,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunj View Post
we were in the walmart on rt 22 in union once and were a little scared for our safety.
LOL - is that a joke? The most dangerous part of your trip to Walmart on rt 22 was driving on rt 22.

I believe Union has a Wholefoods supermarket.

Springfield is a nice town.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:58 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,596,404 times
Union itself seems a little crowded for my taste but it has some nice sections still. Kenilworth or Cranford is very close by as is Springfield and Summit.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:23 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,812,481 times
I wouldn't buy in Union. Of the 3 towns, I like Kenilworth.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:54 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,415,106 times
Not to knock Kenilworth but I have looked into a few towns in Union County include Cranford,Kenilworth and Springfield. My conclusion is I would tend to stay away from Kenilworth. Though it is by no means a bad town, it just seems as if it has too many renters for my liking. I would also stay away from Union as I have heard horror stories about the High School. So if you have kids and plan on sending them to Public schools Union is not a good choice.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:41 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,152,277 times
Union looks bad in my opinion. I drove from the Lowes on Route 82 up to Springfield and most of the buildings in that district looked abandoned or run down. I know a cop in Union and he says nothing ever happens there, so I don't think you would have to worry about crime if you decide to live there.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:26 AM

273 posts, read 684,962 times
Clark is nice too.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:56 PM

18 posts, read 58,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
LOL - is that a joke? The most dangerous part of your trip to Walmart on rt 22 was driving on rt 22.

I believe Union has a Wholefoods supermarket.
Yes, on Springfield Ave. I work there. :-)

Old 09-17-2009, 04:17 PM

86 posts, read 302,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunj View Post
My wife and I want to buy a home in a great neighborhood, on a quiet street. I want to be within 10 minute driving distance of Union, NJ.
Our top priority is a really safe, family-oriented neighborhood.

What are the differences between Union, Springfield and Kenilworth, or any other town that fit the above criteria?

Any advice on where to find gourmet supermarkets (a la Wegmans) in the area?

We are also looking for information on types of general shopping available in each town because we were in the walmart on rt 22 in union once and were a little scared for our safety. What are good shopping centers/options?
I would stay away from Union...the area is going downhill.

Clark, Cranford, Westfield and Garwood are great little towns in Union County...if you can afford the pricetag and high property taxes. Not sure what your price range is???

Old 10-02-2011, 03:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,469 times
My family & I live in Kenilworth...pretty new to the area though. Great little town but a little industrial for our taste. When it's time to buy, we were thinking Cranford would be our best bet. I'd recommend the same to you. Oh, and FYI - downtown Westfield, which is just 10 min outside of Kenilworth, 5 from Cranford, has a Trader Joe's gourmet supermarket to die for ;-) Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey