Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:18 PM

17 posts, read 77,423 times

Advertisements

I agree with Lin67, Princeton is absolutely one of the best school districts in the entire nation! What is also great about Princeton, is that is very diverse compared to Hopewell and West Windsor. Of course finding a house in Princeton schoolls district will be next to impossible for under $6ook. My husband teaches in Princeton, so of course, we cannot affrod to live there, but our kids can attend for a small fee. I lived in Hopewell for many years and my oldest child di her entire school career in that district. I was very satisfied with them. Hopewell is also a very lovely area to live in!
My mother in law is a realtor in tha area, and has been for over 20 years. She is very patient and understanding, and is very knowledgable about the area! Send me a pm if you are interested in her info! Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 08:37 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
Hamilton has good schools and is affordable - get into Steinhart district schooln -

Old 08-13-2007, 10:15 PM

78 posts, read 400,590 times
actually, i am currently not living in princeton but looking to move to princeton or cranbury for only one reason: schools. (by the way, cranbury is a small town which also has a great k-8 school and sends kids to princeton high school). as helj67 pointed out, princeton high school has very diversified student body which includes about 20% non-asian minorities, which were misperceptionally considered weaker than other ethnic groups in academics. but the school score card showed that was not true. It means PHS is really good at helping each student to do his/her best. that is the reason i like princeton/cranbury schools. P.S. i am an asian american.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:26 AM
sj3

118 posts, read 634,703 times
I live in Robbinsville. It is a nice town. Family friendly. The schools are good.
I would love to live in Cranbury! But, 500K probably won't get you anything.
You may want to check out my town though! Pennington is nice too, but like Cranbury, 500K may be tough.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:46 PM

10 posts, read 60,746 times
did you look at Hillsborough or Skillman?

Old 08-14-2007, 08:30 PM

17 posts, read 77,423 times
lin67,
My personal experience with Steinert schools in Hamilton one member reccomended was not a good one. While Steinert is a safe school, it values rules and athletics more than academics. Not a very friendly, progressive district either! I would reccomend looking for a TH in Princeton, or a older home in Hopewell or Montgomery Township. West windsor is an excellent school district. and you maybe able to find a good bargain in Plainsboro which is in West Windsor Township. Be forewarned though, that it is quite a hyper agressive academic and quite materialistic atmosphere in that area. Another option is in Northern Burlington County, in Chesterfield. They are involved in a Smart Growth project consisting of single family homes and th located in a town center. Taxes currently are quite low for NJ, and the town of Crosswicks is quite lovely. It will mean about a 45 minute commute to Princeton, though! Best of luck!

Old 08-26-2007, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,726 times
Default Princeton Area

Don't let others scare you ! I have a house listed in Hopewell Township, ( my husband and I sell real estate ) beautifully redone, in the country and only about 15 minutes from central Princeton for $369,000 ~ You can find homes here for much less than $500,000... you just have to look. also if you need a short term room to rent( and are a non smoker) for $650 furnished , everything included, we have that for you too while you look around the area, it is available immediately.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:27 PM

78 posts, read 400,590 times
helj67, thank you for the info. i have settled in cranbury for now.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:26 PM

6 posts, read 24,883 times
Lisa07 - I just found your post so I wanted to check if you already found the house you like. Here is some info that may help. In Princeton -there are now 38 homes in your price range, mostly 2& 3 bedrooms. In West Windsor- 63, two of them 4 bedroom. In Montgomery - 42, with six houses - 4bedroom. In Hopewell - the are 97, with lots of 4 bedroom properties. This just shows that you can get more for your money outside of Princeton, but it depends on your needs and priorities. I hope this helps.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:17 PM

28 posts, read 149,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
I work in the Princeton area and have lived in the area for 40 years. Princeton is an expensive location and I don't think you'll find much decent for 500K in the bourgh of princeton. You'll want to live in any number of the near by areas. There are a number that offer excellent schools and safe neighborhoods etc.

On one side of Princeton you've got West Windsor , Plainsbourgh and Cranberry. On the other side of princeton you've got Hopewell and Pennington and Rockyhill. Rockyhill uses the Princeton twp schools which isn't as good as the others. West Windsor and Hopewell have really outstanding school systems.

My suggestion would be to take a few "get-away" weekends for yourselves and get a motel/hotel on Route 1 in the Princeton area...there are a number to choose from. That location as home base will put you in the middle of where you'll be looking. In addition you'll be near by a number of inexpensive places to eat and a near by mall if you need some "I forgot and left it on the conter" things.

Good luck and BTW...most of us on here don't bite...welcome aboard

Incorrect, Rocky Hill uses the Montgomery Township schools, very good school district, and Cranbury does not border Princeton. I live in Princeton, and if you need a cheap area with good schools, go look in Plainsboro, it is not to far from the train station and is minutes from highways.

PS. Princeton has superb school districts, the best in its region (Montgomery, Plainsboro, Lawrence, Hopewell, West Windsor)
BTW. Cranbury high schoolers attend Princeton High: sending/receiving system. Cranbury is also nice: borders Plainsboro, access to highways, average-great schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey