Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 03:49 PM

331 posts, read 640,209 times

Advertisements

I work in midtown Manhattan, and for the last.. nearly 2 years, I've been working remotely from Pennsylvania. Prior to that, we lived in Hackensack, but didn't really like it (traffic, expensive). I've been getting cabin fever lately, though, and I want to go into the office a few times a week (probably 3 in, 2 out). We're looking for a town that's roughly an hour or less commute one-way, but I'm open to checking out towns further out as long as they're on some train line. Most of our family is in Northeastern PA, but my wife has some family in Mt Olive. We're hoping to have an easy trip back whenever we feel like going.

Now for the stickied check list:
Where are you coming from? - Southeastern PA, between Philly and Allentown
Why are you moving? - see above
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? - also see above

Will you buy or rent? - rent
What is your budget ? - prefer to stay under 1800/mo.
What kind of place are you looking for ? - apt or townhouse, minimum 2BR, 1.5 Bath

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? - Wife, 2 kids (young), and a 45lb dog
Do you need/want good public schools? - Not necessary right now, but it wouldn't hurt.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc) - It'd be nice to be around young families (mid-to-late 20s, early 30s, which is almost impossible around NYC, I realize) with younger kids. Safety is the top priority, I don't really care if it's blue-collar or artsy or whatever, though. I'm from a blue-collar town, although where we live now is relatively artsy. They're both fine.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc) - Close to train!!!, walkable downtown area (even if it's just like Maywood), outdoor activities, playgrounds, family-oriented.

Now for some extra details. I'm not big on Bergen county. I don't like the blue laws and the traffic. It has some really nice towns, but taking 30 minutes to go 2 miles just totally ruins it. I'm a low-key kind of guy, and I'm not into material things. That said, I'd rather not be in a neighbourhood that's loaded with BMW, Lexus etc. I drive a Ford car and I'm happy with that.

As for the I-78 cut-off, that's just a general guideline, as it's generally easier to get to NEPA from points north. However, I'm sure towns that are pretty much right near the interstate would be easy to just hop on and drive over to PA, so if you know of a great town that's just below 78, feel free to mention it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 09:24 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Look at the towns along the Raritan Valley line or Morristown line , there are plenty to chose form that fit your criteria. You should check each town out by car , to get a feel for it.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:24 PM

Hmm, I guess I'll just have to drive along the line and look at the towns then. Any that I should just outright avoid?

Old 10-31-2010, 05:28 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Dover , the Oranges , and Maplewood aren't really great towns or cities , there not bad either but i would avoid those. Also look along the Gladstone line which runs between 80 and 78.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:23 AM

143 posts, read 416,272 times
Berkley Heights is a nice family oriented place near 78.
Milburn has more to do, but is really expensive.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:58 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,984,654 times
Glen Rock is worth a look - it's Bergen, but not congested like you mention.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:57 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,811,922 times
How about Annandale, right off of Rt 78, kind of equidistant between NEPA and NYC? I've always thought that was a great area. Further west is High Bridge, a couple of our regular posters live in that area, though I never have, I think they are both great places for families.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:51 PM

Glen Rock might be in a good spot in Bergen (not too close to the traffic jams of Paramus, on the county border so I can go out on Sunday). I'm off next week, so I'll have a good amount of time to check and then get back to you guys.

If anyone else has any town suggestions, feel free to name drop so I can check those too.

Thanks everyone!

Old 11-05-2010, 08:52 AM

6 posts, read 10,908 times
Definitely look into Glen Rock. Highly regarded schools, great pool, perfect little downtown with pizzerias, Starbucks, delis, Dunkin Donuts, etc. Conveniently close to all the shopping in Paramus and restaurants/entertainment in Ridgewood. Not to mention the city is a 20 minute drive without traffic. If you don't want to drive, there are 2 train lines that serve Glen Rock, with direct service to Secaucus/Hoboken. If you need to go to Midtown, you would just transfer at Secaucus Junction. Overall, Glen Rock is where it's at!

Old 11-11-2010, 10:24 AM

We ended up liking Summit/Chatham/Madison area and Princeton the most (even though Princeton is kind of out there). I suppose we're looking now to see if anything major differentiates those towns. One of my bosses lives in Summit and told me it takes him about 1hr door to door in his commute. I have a coworker who lives in Princeton - 55 minute express train + 10 min walk to work. Commute time seems comparable.

Are there any key differences between these areas or is it just down to whatever we find in our range now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey