Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:01 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I can. Once you go to one this decade and buy more than one set of sheets
I was at the one in Cherry Hill twice this year and the one in Audubon twice as well. I also stopped by the new one in Somerdale. Within the past few years I've also been to the one in Turnersville. Given that I've shopped and been in just about everyone in my area, am I entitled to my opinion that they're all crap?

The nicest one I was ever in was in Litchfield, IL. It was pretty much the only store in town and it was actually pretty nicely laid out. It was still full of cheap knock off crap, but the store was nice and the employees were friendly.

Like I said, I avoid them like the plague, but my wife who is a bargain hunter occasionally drags me into one. The last time I was there was to buy a winter coat for my daughter. $20 for a cute pink three-in-one jacket. She used it about 6 times and the zipper broke at the bottom, so you couldn't unzip the coat all the way. Daddy went to Macy's and got her a new one, wife returend the coat to Walmart and got our money back...on a Walmart gift card since the tags had been removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 11:16 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I was at the one in Cherry Hill twice this year and the one in Audubon twice as well. I also stopped by the new one in Somerdale. Within the past few years I've also been to the one in Turnersville. Given that I've shopped and been in just about everyone in my area, am I entitled to my opinion that they're all crap?

The nicest one I was ever in was in Litchfield, IL. It was pretty much the only store in town and it was actually pretty nicely laid out. It was still full of cheap knock off crap, but the store was nice and the employees were friendly.

Like I said, I avoid them like the plague, but my wife who is a bargain hunter occasionally drags me into one. The last time I was there was to buy a winter coat for my daughter. $20 for a cute pink three-in-one jacket. She used it about 6 times and the zipper broke at the bottom, so you couldn't unzip the coat all the way. Daddy went to Macy's and got her a new one, wife returend the coat to Walmart and got our money back...on a Walmart gift card since the tags had been removed.
Well at least you've been in several of them to base your opinion on. If the wife drags you there again may I suggest the Deptford location.

I meant to say this earlier but forgot, regarding the "entering a third world country" statement. Yes, there are definitely some interesting people that frequent Walmart, especially if you go at odd hours (check out peopleofwalmart.com), but I just like to think of that as part of the overall experience

Old 12-03-2010, 11:33 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
That is not going to happen..EVER

Old 12-03-2010, 11:39 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
I meant to say this earlier but forgot, regarding the "entering a third world country" statement. Yes, there are definitely some interesting people that frequent Walmart, especially if you go at odd hours (check out peopleofwalmart.com), but I just like to think of that as part of the overall experience
I prefer "huddled masses yearning to breath free" to describe the folks at Walmart.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:48 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,636 times
You need to stop bashing Walmart and instead bash your elected officials. Those are the ones that created Walmart. By your vote. Walmart is just playing by the rules. If you do not like Walmart, dont shop there. Just like listening to radio, changing the tv station. Walmart is great for me. Has everything at lowest prices. Keep in mind Target, Khols and all the other chains operate the same way. Sad the mom and pop stores get squeezed, but again that goes back to global economy and elected officials.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:49 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
The newer and renovated Walmarts have nicer lighting and wider aisles too . I would ask njkate 2 questions: 1) When was the last time she was actually in a Walmart, and 2) How many different Walmarts has she been in?

Like Mike just said above, and as I said earlier, growing up I only knew of one Walmart in my area, and it was an absolute dump and I avoided going there. Like Mike is still doing, I wrongly made the assumption that their other stores would be the same. But in college I discovered a nice SuperWalmart and it was probably the only place I got groceries. So no, not all Walmarts are dumps, and they are trying hard to make their stores nicer. (Edit: But as I said earlier, I think NJ may be behind the times on Walmart (only 4 Supercenters in the whole state?), so there may very well still be several dumpy stores left in NJ. But I assure you they're not like that in most other states, so I wouldn't criticize the entire company because of a few bad stores)

Speaking of Kmart, most Kmart's I've been in are dumpier than Walmart, with prices that aren't as good as Walmarts. Honestly I can't believe Kmart is still in business.
walmarts did start going wider with better lighting, but as i said above, in the fortune article, they talked about how customers haven't been responding well to that, so they are going back to more products, less space, lower prices.

NJ is behind on supercenters because walmart won't allow unions, and NJ has strong grocery unions. kmart got bought by sears and is basically a cheaper version of sears now. they are generally pretty run down, but a lot of them have been closed. i think they are slowly rebranding them to a sears specialty store.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
While I certainly agree on Vizio's being cheaper in general (out of 5 flat screens we have 1 Vizio that we bought since it was cheap and for the playroom/Wii), the point was that the Vizio (or any other brand) 55" (or whatever size) TV that you buy at Walmart (even if it adverises the same specs like 1080p, 240hz, etc.) is not necessarily the same TV that you would buy in another store. Only a careful shopper would realize that the product number is different, often by just one number than sets sold in other stores. The reason it's cheaper isn't the magic of Walmart, it's because it's not the same TV.

The toy thing is the same way. They carry something that looks and is advertised as identical, but lacks features or in some cases is completely different. I can just see how disappointed a kid would be on Christmas morning when their parents go to Walmart thinking they are getting a good deal, only to find out it's really not the same toy.

The bleach thing I am not 100% sure on, as it is something often talked about on pool forums where a lot of people swear the bleaches at Walmart are not the same concentration. Even then bleach is sold in different concentrations, so what may have been 6% this week at a not very competitive price, may be a lower concentration this week on a "rollback". It's not the same product, but it certainly LOOKS like the same product and is advertised as such.

Regardless of where you shop the rule is always caveat emptor. However, this applies double for Walmart who IMO operates with practices that are borderline deceptive.
with the TVs, a Samsung sold at Best Buy, PC Richardson, 6th Avenue, and Walmart are all going to be slightly different. Manufacturers used to do this with computers also when I worked at Circuit City. You know how they all have the "low price guarantee" where they will match and beat a price by 10% if you find the same product for cheaper elsewhere? Why do they have that guarantee? Because it's darn near impossible to find the same model at another store. They do this on purpose. Where a Samsung at Walmart differs from one at Best Buy is usually the contrast ratio. The one at Best Buy will be 100,000:1 and the Walmart will be 30,000:1. Put them next to each other and I dare you to show me which is which. Also, one might have 2 HDMI inputs while the other has 4.

If a shopper is ignoring the differences in what's in the box, that's their problem, not mine. But the Samsung sold at Walmart is built in the same factories as the ones sold at Best Buy, with the same screens and processors and speakers. So I don't care.

In the end, it doesn't matter since B&H and/or Amazon.com usually have the cheapest TVs!

maybe walmart is deceptive. i've personally never seen it. i can see what you mean about toys. i don't shop for toys yet, but i've noticed the toys in walmart are junk for the most part. i don't think people are unaware of that though. i think they go because they're fine with buying similar toys for less money, even if it's junk.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
honestly - their sheets probably aren't the best quality. that's fine that she doesn't want to buy sheets there. but to me, buying aquafresh, listerine, gilette shaving cream, etc...for like, 30-50% cheaper than other places is a no brainer.

the pharmacy - i never would have thought to go there if my wife didn't work there, but if you know anyone that doesn't have insurance, you should ask them about how much drugs cost at walmart vs anywhere else. target is competitive with them, but only to a point. unfortunately for the local pharmacy shops, they can't compete. local shops carry more medical supplies that the big box stores don't bother with, and that's how they survive. we've explored the idea of opening up a pharmacy, but it's not worth the hassle these days.

i wouldn't buy sheets at walmart either njkate...though i have bought some at tjmaxx

Old 12-03-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
You need to stop bashing Walmart and instead bash your elected officials. Those are the ones that created Walmart. By your vote. Walmart is just playing by the rules. If you do not like Walmart, dont shop there. Just like listening to radio, changing the tv station. Walmart is great for me. Has everything at lowest prices. Keep in mind Target, Khols and all the other chains operate the same way. Sad the mom and pop stores get squeezed, but again that goes back to global economy and elected officials.
exactly. but people should learn how walmart started. sam started a one-stop-shop general purpose store. and expanded it to rural communities that needed it in his area. so his mom and pop shop expanded. isn't that the ultimate american conquest in business anyways? lol.

i try and buy as much stuff made in usa...so i can only purchase so many things at walmart.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:24 PM

39 posts, read 184,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtomove12 View Post
What's the deal with there being no Walmart on route 46 near the Willowbrook mall?? There are 2 Targets within 15 minutes of each other, but if you need Walmart you have to travel a good 30 minutes!!!
There's a Walmart on route 46 in Saddle Brook. There's also a new 24 hour SuperWalmart in Garfield. Never closes. When I went there, there was nobody there & the food in the supermarket part of the store looked pathetic, but it's a beautiful store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey