Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:45 PM

8 posts, read 19,749 times

Advertisements

Greetings Everyone!

After a 21 years, I will be moving back to my beloved New Jersey, next summer! I am beyond excited. I lived in Edison, from ages 8-15, and then my family (My parents, and myself) moved to Atlanta. To say that I am ready to leave is an understatement.

I will be attending school next fall in SoHo (The Make-up Designory), and my cousin and I will be living in New Jersey. Right now he works in Totowa, and lives in Englewood, so understandably, he wants to stay within a reasonable commute to work.

My cousin has asked me to look in Passiac, Hoboken, Jersey City, Bayonne and Secaucus, to name a few cities. We need a 2 bedroom obviously, and we can share a bathroom. Everything that is decent is well over $1300 per month. The times, oh how they have changed! Is there anyplace that is close to where he works, and currently lives, that is decent, and I won't get raped or shot. Seeing as I will be going to school and working in Manhattan, I would like a reasonable train commute. Please be honest with me. I can take it!

Thanks everyone!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 05:47 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
You need to figure out your commuting options then look for towns that are reasonable to that. Quite a few options. Totowa is really fairly easy to drive to. You could either train or bus into midtown or into PATH on the NJ side then go in that way.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:33 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honestgal View Post
My cousin has asked me to look in Passiac, Hoboken, Jersey City, Bayonne and Secaucus, to name a few cities.
Passaic is the oddball in that list. Not a great city in terms of commuting or safety. Hoboken and JC will give you the easiest commuting options (by Path or Ferry), but for that reason will also be the most expensive to live in.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:38 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Greetings Everyone!

After a 21 years, I will be moving back to my beloved New Jersey, next summer! I am beyond excited. I lived in Edison, from ages 8-15, and then my family (My parents, and myself) moved to Atlanta. To say that I am ready to leave is an understatement.

I will be attending school next fall in SoHo (The Make-up Designory), and my cousin and I will be living in New Jersey. Right now he works in Totowa, and lives in Englewood, so understandably, he wants to stay within a reasonable commute to work.

My cousin has asked me to look in Passiac, Hoboken, Jersey City, Bayonne and Secaucus, to name a few cities. We need a 2 bedroom obviously, and we can share a bathroom. Everything that is decent is well over $1300 per month. The times, oh how they have changed! Is there anyplace that is close to where he works, and currently lives, that is decent, and I won't get raped or shot. Seeing as I will be going to school and working in Manhattan, I would like a reasonable train commute. Please be honest with me. I can take it!

Thanks everyone!!!
I hope you have been back to NJ for a visit in the last 21 years otherwise it will certainly be sticker shock.

I grew up in Edison and it is definitely not the Edison that I left in 1962.

Sorry to hear that you are unhappy with Atlanta but good luck with your return to NJ.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:34 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
Throw in Lyndhurst/Rutherford/North Arlington/Nutley/Ridgefield/Ridgefield Park

Hackensack also has some nice high rise apartments in your range.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:01 PM

303 posts, read 752,668 times
Quote:
that is decent, and I won't get raped or shot.
lmfao..i found that funny...but Jc is your best bet. you can easily find a 2bd for around your price range of $1300. check the heights or J.sq area of JC. or you can try Hackensack. And lgad to have you move back to Nj...hopefully since you lived ina different place you can bring something to Nj...cuz we sure need people with new ideas lol

Old 12-05-2010, 09:14 AM

8 posts, read 19,749 times
Wink Thank you, all for the feedback.

This feedback has been extremely helpful. I've made a list with all of your suggestions, and I am going to get moving with the hunting. I would like to narrow the list down to 10 places, and come up to Jersey around March for a couple of days, to actually look at places.

I just don't like the South. Period. I know that people-are-people, wherever you go, but you actually have to live in the South, to understand what I am saying. There is no logic to most things. No personal boundaries. If you are willing to adopt the group mentality, than you will do fine. Otherwise, you are not going to be a happy camper my friend.

Yes, I have been back to NJ, in the last 21 years! Too funny!

Things have changed, and some thing haven't, but I did get a bit of the sticker shock you were talking about. Eh, I can deal with it. I just want to come back home.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:45 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,311 times
I moved back to jersey after 20 years in Charlotte NC and i hate it back here. Biggest mistake of my life. Don't make the same mistake.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:21 PM

183 posts, read 1,263,631 times
biscman:

Why was moving back to Jersey the worst thing you could of done. My family and I are moving back after 22 years of living in Florida and we are excited. What are your thoughts on this and what do you dislike so much.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:27 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
The South is definitely a different world and culture. I have a friend that moved to Raleigh and lasted about 1 year before he couldn't stand it anymore and moved back to NJ. He complained about the slow pace of life, and how his boss kept complaining about "northerners". Also down south everyone seems to be into everyone else's business (in a friendly kind of way) which can be annoying if that's not you're thing. I was once visiting some people in Atlanta and this one woman told me that she always makes conversation with random people at the grocery store when she is out shopping. When I told her that I just try to mind my own business she thought that was weird. On a separate occasion, I was staying at a hotel in Durham, NC and I overheard a waitress complain about me to another customer because I didn't say "good morning" to her. Being friendly is one thing, but having to acknowledge every person you encounter throughout the day can be a bit over the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey