Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 02:19 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,412,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
PO takes off for HI to hide in the middle of the Pacific ocean at a time when the TSA warns of terrorist threats to the US mainland and the Korean penninsula is on the brink of war.

CC is 2 hrs away in FL, good for him!

NJ is on the brink of what ? Oh that's right, Newark had a half dozen more murders. Where were the leagacy dems for the last 80 years.....missing in action for several generations.
Lol even I had to laugh at this one. Really is this the best you could come up with?
This country has become such a sad sack of political lines that nobody can see past it.
Wow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 06:27 PM

912 posts, read 2,445,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
No major decisions to be made? Really are you that naive. Many locations in NJ got hit with 30 inches of snow and you say no major decisions were made. Again the problem is you come up with a crazy position to avert what happened and guess what happened? Come on had this been a democrat that did the same thing what would you say? I for one thing Christie picked a great time for a vacation with not much going on. I do feel Kim could have held off her vacation and do her job which is cover for Christie. Stop being so political about it. Its just plain dumb.
I'm not being political at all. My point was that it didn't matter who was babysitting Trenton. If Christie or Guadagno had been here rather than Sweeney, what would have been done differently? The answer is nothing. The same exact people would have used the same exact trucks to clear the same exact amount of snow off the same exact roads.

Talk about naive, man. You honestly think the governor is sitting in some kind of control room personally overseeing snow removal operations? Geez. And I would say the exact same thing if Christie were a Democrat. Besides, you're the one being political, as you just want to get a few shots in at the Guv's expense.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:29 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,412,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
I'm not being political at all. My point was that it didn't matter who was babysitting Trenton. If Christie or Guadagno had been here rather Sweeney, what would have been done different? The same exact people would have used the same exact trucks to clear the same exact amount of snow off the same exact roads.

Talk about naive, man. You honestly think the governor is sitting in some kind of control room personally overseeing snow removal operations? Geez. And I would say the exact same thing if Christie were a Democrat. Besides, you're the one being political, as you just want to get a few shots in at the Guv's expense.

Not at all potlitical. I am rather neutral on the guy. This situation just strikes me as dumb. Why have a Lt Gov if he or she will not be around when the Gov is taking his well deserved vacation. Again my problem is not with Christie, its more with the planning. I guess that political to you.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Not at all potlitical. I am rather neutral on the guy. This situation just strikes me as dumb. Why have a Lt Gov if he or she will not be around when the Gov is taking his well deserved vacation. Again my problem is not with Christie, its more with the planning. I guess that political to you.
It was planned just fine. The third in line was Sweeney. So Sweeney stepped in, did what he needed to do, and we're all fine and dandy as if nothing ever happened.

I won't comment any more on this one. Mostly because I don't much care. And neither should anyone else.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:01 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I don't see the issue..hasn't the president & vice president been out of the country at the same time?

If it were 1800 and the only form of communication was the pony express than it would have been an issue.
The issue is that no one is allowed to govern the state except from within the state. When the pres. and vp leave the country they are still in command and it does not fall to the speaker of the house to govern the country.

I think the issue maybe to lift the ban of governing absentia and while I understand that THIS lt gov is not paid per se, there is nothing that links sec. of state to lt gov. from here on out. If the Lt Gov is a paid position than that person has a responsibility to be available when the governor is not.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:06 PM

52 posts, read 206,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Well the gov. and the lt. gov go on vacation at the same time. As our fearless leader was sitting on Mickeys lap in Disney and his sidekick was trying on sombreros in Mexico people were stranded in cars for up to 2 days. He wants to cut waste, I could save him some money. Tell that useless Lt. Governor she is not needed along with her useless staff and they could take that 15 million and buy another 20 snow plows. Talk about screwups I guess when he get's off of Mickey's lap he'll blame the union snow plowers as doing this on purpose. How the heck can the top 2 elected officials go out of state at the same time on vacation. He just proved that that bloated agency is not needed.

I agree 100%. This was not the time for a Lt. Governor and all her staff! And the two of them taking a vacation at the same time was just rediculous. The state went back to Sweeney anyway. So if the Governor and Lt. Governor are going to both go on vacation the same time, what was the point of the Lt. Governor anway? What a waste of money. Snow emergency or not. They should never be allowed to both go on vacation at the same time PERIOD. It goes against the grain of the position being created to begin with.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:08 PM

52 posts, read 206,974 times
Quote:
It was planned just fine. The third in line was Sweeney. So Sweeney stepped in, did what he needed to do, and we're all fine and dandy as if nothing ever happened.

I won't comment any more on this one. Mostly because I don't much care. And neither should anyone else.

How could you NOT CARE? This is YOUR TAX MONEY going down the drain! Christie wants to cut state workers, state benefits and state run programs, but he has no problem wasting money on his friend! Sweeney should never HAVE to step in! This is why we have a Lt. Governor!

Old 12-31-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseywoman View Post
How could you NOT CARE? This is YOUR TAX MONEY going down the drain! Christie wants to cut state workers, state benefits and state run programs, but he has no problem wasting money on his friend! Sweeney should never HAVE to step in! This is why we have a Lt. Governor!
What friend is he wasting money on? The voters changed the state Constitution to create the Lt. Governor post. Christie didn't decide that. Should he have run without a running mate in protest? And actually, by appointing the Lt. Governor as Secretary of State as well as a few other titles (I believe tourism director), he actually saved the taxpayers money by combining several positions. He could have just as easily had four or five separate people do all the jobs Guadagno does.

Something tells me you're a laid off state worker with an ax to grind.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:46 AM

607 posts, read 957,915 times
Quote:
What friend is he wasting money on? The voters changed the state Constitution to create the Lt. Governor post. Christie didn't decide that. Should he have run without a running mate in protest? And actually, by appointing the Lt. Governor as Secretary of State as well as a few other titles (I believe tourism director), he actually saved the taxpayers money by combining several positions. He could have just as easily had four or five separate people do all the jobs Guadagno does.

Something tells me you're a laid off state worker with an ax to grind.
Agreed - well, except for the last line.

Chris Christie is not the person who implemented the Lt Gov position. YOU did (at least those who actually voted four years ago).

Could this have been handled better? Sure. But even Sweeney didn't think it would be a big deal during a quiet time in the state business.

Unfortunately, it is the northeast, and it is December. Sometimes we get snow.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:15 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I think they lifted the state of emergency to quick and the results were more people on the roads messing up the plowing capabilities. Whereas if one of the big cheeses were available they might of have a more direct line with the transportation boss. The reason behind the Lt. Gov. thing is one should be available at ALL TIMES. Sure they are both entitled to vacations and time off. You don't give the both doctors off in the hospital, don't give off the 2 cops in a car, and so on. This just proved that her position is useless. People are still trapped in their houses and people are clogging up the roads going to 7-11 to buy coffee. You have to be in it to realize the extent of the trouble. Senoir citizens communities haven't been touched with plows yet. I could go on and on.
My town left rob messages telling us not to drive until Tuesday afternoon to allow for snow removal. These are municipality issues not state issues. As you can see from the responses here that only hyper parisans care.

Look at NYC both the governor and mayor were there and snow removal was far worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey