Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:32 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
yeah. That U.S.A. P.A.T.R.I.O.T. the left pushed through is clear evidence...oh wait...

Nah, just the one they kept in place.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 09:35 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i discuss facts and include words that are common in the discussions. these names tend to come from the person who is primarily responsible for the laws passing, not necessarily whose ideas they come from. i know hillary's attempt was labeled hillarycare because she was the one who tried to get it done. what do people who arent critical of obamacare call it? its actual name is long so id assume there is some kind of short name for it. you are too focused on the labels. yes, i have called it obamacare but i have also listed specific issues with it and can go through more if the discussion centered on its criticisms.

john stewart is a leftist who considers himself a moderate. it was funny when him and that other jerk did that "moderate" march in washington. they think that they represent the silent majority. im sorry to them and the other leftists who are trying to position themselves as moderates, i am the silent majority not them.
most people i talk to just say the healthcare reform/law/bill

stewart is a satirist. the rally was comedy, not political. on his show, he's always admitted he is quite to the left end of the spectrum.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:59 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
most people i talk to just say the healthcare reform/law/bill

stewart is a satirist. the rally was comedy, not political. on his show, he's always admitted he is quite to the left end of the spectrum.
well, hopefully it will be repealed or not funded so it can be the defunct health care bill.

it was political satire and was an attempt to make a statement and it attracted a lot of leftists that want to seem to be moderates. i did a little messing around on the facebook page so i have an idea of how those people felt about it. stewart was saying him and his "moderates" are the sane ones and the right wingers are the nutballs and are going too crazy over politics these days. very convenient how liberals are saying everyone is going crazy when its criticism of their president that they want to stifle. they had no issues with all the attacks when it was george bush being attacked. i read his statement regarding the meaning of his march and he was trying to get out a message and he also believed he is the silent majority (where the right wing nutjobs are the crazy loud minority). however, i take issue with that because i believe the typical conservative is the silent majority.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:09 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
If the bill was a good bill, that everybody loved rather than hated, the left would be happy with dubbing it "Obamacare". The only reason it is considered derogatory is because it links the president to an unpopular, horrible bill. They fought so hard for it and now they want to disassociate from it. It doesn't work that way. Actions have consequences.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
well, hopefully it will be repealed or not funded so it can be the defunct health care bill.

it was political satire and was an attempt to make a statement and it attracted a lot of leftists that want to seem to be moderates. i did a little messing around on the facebook page so i have an idea of how those people felt about it. stewart was saying him and his "moderates" are the sane ones and the right wingers are the nutballs and are going too crazy over politics these days. very convenient how liberals are saying everyone is going crazy when its criticism of their president that they want to stifle. they had no issues with all the attacks when it was george bush being attacked. i read his statement regarding the meaning of his march and he was trying to get out a message and he also believed he is the silent majority (where the right wing nutjobs are the crazy loud minority). however, i take issue with that because i believe the typical conservative is the silent majority.
i watch stewart often for his comedy. i watched the rally. i honestly don't remember him referring to himself as moderate but maybe he did. he often says on his show that he's very liberal.

he doesn't just think right wing nutjubs are the loud majority. he thinks left wing nutjubs are too. he criticizes obama a lot on his show when making fun of things. and he hands it to all media outlets, not just the ones typically labelled right wing.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
If the bill was a good bill, that everybody loved rather than hated, the left would be happy with dubbing it "Obamacare". The only reason it is considered derogatory is because it links the president to an unpopular, horrible bill. They fought so hard for it and now they want to disassociate from it. It doesn't work that way. Actions have consequences.
it's considered deragotory because it's only used by people criticizing it, in a snide, deragotory manner usually.

who wants to be disassociated from it?

it's popularity, in polls (which i'm skeptical of), largely results from a lot of factually incorrect information about it that was put out there by critics of the bill.

again - i'm not saying i agree with all of it. but it's a fact that people were telling completely dishonest things to constituents to get them aggravated about the bill.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
i watch stewart often for his comedy. i watched the rally. i honestly don't remember him referring to himself as moderate but maybe he did. he often says on his show that he's very liberal.

he doesn't just think right wing nutjubs are the loud majority. he thinks left wing nutjubs are too. he criticizes obama a lot on his show when making fun of things. and he hands it to all media outlets, not just the ones typically labelled right wing.
he isnt even handed. ive seen certain people these days think that if they attack msnbc along with foxnews and talk radio, that somehow makes them equally criticizing both "extremes." thats bs. so he throws a few jokes in the way of the democrats. he has a very serious deliberate purpose that he tries to use satire as a tool to push his views.

"moderate" seems to be an imaging thing that liberals are doing to try to make it as if they are the mainstream silent majority. my cousins are liberals who consider themselves moderates and they both posted the rally to restore sanity on their facebook pages.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
it's considered deragotory because it's only used by people criticizing it, in a snide, deragotory manner usually.

who wants to be disassociated from it?

it's popularity, in polls (which i'm skeptical of), largely results from a lot of factually incorrect information about it that was put out there by critics of the bill.

again - i'm not saying i agree with all of it. but it's a fact that people were telling completely dishonest things to constituents to get them aggravated about the bill.
obama was telling constituents dishonest things in order to pass the bill. you also have pelosi saying we must pass the bill in order to see whats in it. the fact is that the democrats rammed through a bill that the american people didnt want. you had democrats pushing the lie that will somehow save money. they left out all the additional taxes and cuts in medicare.

there is nothing good about this bill. if you want to talk about who lied, it was those supporting the bill not the other way around.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 01-12-2011 at 11:29 AM..

Old 01-12-2011, 12:17 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Then it is YOUR interpretation that the word "obamacare" is derogatory. To my ears, that's it's name. Not good. Not bad. So people should call it something else just because a few people dont like it?

Old 01-12-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
obama was telling constituents dishonest things in order to pass the bill. you also have pelosi saying we must pass the bill in order to see whats in it. the fact is that the democrats rammed through a bill that the american people didnt want. you had democrats pushing the lie that will somehow save money. they left out all the additional taxes and cuts in medicare.

there is nothing good about this bill. if you want to talk about who lied, it was those supporting the bill not the other way around.
yeah on pelosi. yeah obama didn't make things clear enough (i'm not sure what he said that was dishonest though). but a majority of the country voted for obama and one of the primary things he campaigned on was this exact type of healthcare bill, except even further....so i think people did want it. it was only after people started blasting it for "death panels" and guys like frank luntz got to work on the coin phrases that it lost support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey