Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 06:26 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNJRacer View Post
Acme is still around? WOW There was one in Union, and one in Springfield and they are both long, long gone! They probably closed them at least 10 years ago. I'm pretty sure there was another Acme on Rt 22 in the Plainfield area that has been long gone as well.
I have an Acme close by, in Shrewsbury. Not the biggest store, and their aisle signs suck, but now that I know my way around I can find everything. The people are really friendly there, more so than in any supermarket I've been to in years. I would hate to see them close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
There's one in Clifton. I wish there were more; they've got a much saner store layout than Shop-Rite, and they're far cheaper than Kings Ransom or Whole Paycheck.
LOL, good one. Thought, "WHAAAT??" and had to click back to make sure that's what I read.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:11 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsided2012 View Post
Totally agree. The closest thing to that in this area which is consistent from store to store in the chain (unlike Shop Rite, which is hit and miss) is Stop N Shop, and people don't talk about them much.

I've also noticed that produce is better and much more consistent in other regions, too, compared to all NJ stores.
Yes indeed. I know California grows like half our produce, but the diversity and quality in most CA supermarkets is amazing. And they have HUGE wine selections where you don't have to drive around the corner to the separate liquor store. That's annoying as hell in NJ.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:33 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, good one. Thought, "WHAAAT??" and had to click back to make sure that's what I read.
Yeah, that's what my wife calls it. Also "Whole Wallet".

Old 01-21-2013, 09:41 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Yes indeed. I know California grows like half our produce, but the diversity and quality in most CA supermarkets is amazing. And they have HUGE wine selections where you don't have to drive around the corner to the separate liquor store. That's annoying as hell in NJ.
Except for the wine, you don't have to go to California. Maryland has Giant, Giant Eagle, and Safeway, Pennsylvania has Giant (different Giant than Maryland, but same parent company now, unless they got resold), Acme and Genuardi's (now owned by Safeway). Upstate NY has Price Chopper. Around here... mostly Shop Rite (ick), Pathmark (ick), Stop N Shop (not impressed), and a few expensive boutiquey stores. You'd think Safeway or Giant or Price Chopper would see an opportunity (Acme's management couldn't find it's rear end with a flashlight and a map, so that's less surprising).

And then of course there's Wegmans. At least NJ is getting another one of those.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:17 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Except for the wine, you don't have to go to California. Maryland has Giant, Giant Eagle, and Safeway, Pennsylvania has Giant (different Giant than Maryland, but same parent company now, unless they got resold), Acme and Genuardi's (now owned by Safeway). Upstate NY has Price Chopper. Around here... mostly Shop Rite (ick), Pathmark (ick), Stop N Shop (not impressed), and a few expensive boutiquey stores. You'd think Safeway or Giant or Price Chopper would see an opportunity (Acme's management couldn't find it's rear end with a flashlight and a map, so that's less surprising).

And then of course there's Wegmans. At least NJ is getting another one of those.
Trader Joe's sells booze and so do several Kings locations (Berkeley Heights, Summit.)

Old 01-22-2013, 07:29 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
With the recent sale of Acme's parent company to a group of investors, all bets are off regarding the viability of those Acme stores.
There is already some speculation regarding the potential closing of many Acme stores.

Most likely, the folks who will be most upset about the closing of Acme stores will be the ones who call it, "Ac-a-me".
After all, if their Ac-a-me store closes, where will they buy their Rev-a-lon hair care products?

Anyway, in case you hadn't read the news about this buy-out, here is a link:
Acme supermarkets sold, impact still unclear in South Jersey | NJ.com

Thanks for the link.

This would be big in my area as the closest grocery store to Swedesboro, Logan and Woolwich is the Acme in Logan which is a pretty nice store, though it's the one we tend to avoid in favor of driving to the cheaper Shop Rite. Acme is also the main chain in most of Salem County as well. I'm sure the decision over what to keep open and close will be a store-by-store decision and most likely based on profitability and competition, though you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNJRacer View Post
Acme is still around? WOW There was one in Union, and one in Springfield and they are both long, long gone! They probably closed them at least 10 years ago. I'm pretty sure there was another Acme on Rt 22 in the Plainfield area that has been long gone as well.
Acme is pretty big in South Jersey and is the only grocery store in a lot of towns.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:36 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Trader Joe's sells booze and so do several Kings locations (Berkeley Heights, Summit.)
there are only 2 TJs that sell wine (I don't believe they sell all booze) are Westfield and Princeton. The others do not.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:38 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
Good news Tahiti, they are opening a Wegmans in Morris County, though it is still a bit of a haul for you since it is going to be at the Cedar Knolls/Hanover Border. It is just north of the intersection of Ridgedale Ave and Rte 10 Wegmans looks to open in Hanover | NJ.com

I can't wait.....now about that offer....I have a friend who needs a favor....

KoalaNJ
hee hee. we'll tawk about "that favor". I got people.

that new wegmans is just about as far as bridgewater for me. I have a perfect place for one around here, why will no one listen to me?!?

Old 01-22-2013, 08:40 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
there are only 2 TJs that sell wine (I don't believe they sell all booze) are Westfield and Princeton. The others do not.
IIRC, the one in Cliffside Park near Fort Lee does as well.

They sell beer and wine. There aren't many TJ's around so the fact that they can get away with this is a step forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey