Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:53 PM

5 posts, read 6,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
You also have to remember that corrupt and/or inept bureacrats get shot or sacked in China, but not in the USA! Nobody can stop the Han!

ONE NATION
ONE PEOPLE
ONE PARTY

MAO POWER!

One Race
One Voice
No union!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 01:10 PM

62 posts, read 233,271 times
Good grief people... We used to do things like this in the USA. Remember Chicago and eminent domain? They just took land and built highways. Now we have property rights, environmental impact assessments, legislation that moves slowly through the process, etc. Do you think the Chinese even considered the environmental impact of building that bridge??

Do we want to return to doing things in that fashion?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:17 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,413,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Perhaps if we didn't send all our money to China buying goods that used to be made here we could build our tunnel.

I get really tired of hearing what China is doing when it is our fault not theirs that our workforce is being reduced while their workforce and economy is expanding.
The only people here who care are those losing their jobs to overseas workers.

Not one politician, Democrat or Republican will address the problem of sending work out of the country.
All we need are more people working here and paying taxes and less people on public assistance and all our money problems will be solved.

We have a corrupt Mexican govt. that can't stop the drug trade to the US yet we still allow American owned companies to operate in Mexico and hire Mexicans to manufacture and sell those products in the US.

Cry all you want about the Chinese but it is our govt. in the pockets of big business that is hurting our country.
it's our consumers too. i don't hear any consumers voting with their wallets against china...

Old 02-22-2011, 02:21 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,413,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Exactly.

Maybe next we can talk about how we could never build the Pyramids like the Egyptians did.
i find it sad that these discussions turn into all or nothing. there is simply no excuse for our lack of investment in our nation's infrastructure. especially because when times were good, money was flush, and we still neglected infrastructure. instead of improving infrastructure, you have towns like Hoboken throwing up condos because developers have their hands in the politicians' pockets, which only further destroyed the infrastructure. when it comes down to it, the bridge and tunnel builders, the rail builders, etc...just didn't lobby politicians enough. has nothing to do with union labor vs slave labor. don't think the government isn't spending money on things, they just aren't spending it on the right things. next time I see a NJ highway being widened again before existing infrastructure issues are addressed, my head might explode. oh wait, that would probably be tonight on my drive home.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:01 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,398,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
it's our consumers too. i don't hear any consumers voting with their wallets against china...
I agree with you on this and I try not to buy anything made in China but it is almost impossible to live without Chinese goods. Our American made cars are loaded with Chinese electronics.
I have purchased items sold by American Co's. and returned them when the labels said made in China.

It is a real shame that business has sold out to China and yet will still give tax breaks to those business owners.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:12 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,179,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
why build it if we have no need for it. maybe we should also go to the moon and build a living facility there just so the chinese dont do it before us.
Why do you mean we don't need it? Dude, if train can travel 300 mph, I bet there will be more ppl using it. Do you think it is fun to due 5 to 10 hours to go for a weekend trip? Sure you can fly, but not everyone like the hassle getting to the airport.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:42 PM

592 posts, read 2,188,631 times
We are getting way off topic, my original discussion was around how incompetent, inefficient, and wasteful our government is nowdays to accomplish anything, compared to china.

But apparently many of you think we are just fine and are happy with the current process of spending hundreds of millions doing environmental studies, social studies, traffic patterns, neighborhood concern groups, unions, inter-state agreements and so on..before even breaking ground on anything.

I realized now it's not just the government, but the american people who have grown fat, lazy and arrogant with a sense of entitlement, over an ever-increasing welfare state. Gone are the "just do it" attitude of the 30s to 60s that built this great nation, now we are mostly just a bunch of leeches sucking off the wealth built by our forefathers, with the government in constant gridlock blocking each other parties agenda.

Unfortunately this country's wealth built by the previous generations will not last forever, with china and its 1.3 billion people charging full steam ahead. Hopefully it will last long enough until we bit the dirt so it becomes our children's problem.

Just look at the 9/11 freedom tower - the very SYMBOL of american resolve, it took us TEN **** years just to breakground and start construction. If as an american you dont find that embarrassing and frustrating, then i am not sure what else can be said.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:44 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,726,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Why do you mean we don't need it? Dude, if train can travel 300 mph, I bet there will be more ppl using it. Do you think it is fun to due 5 to 10 hours to go for a weekend trip? Sure you can fly, but not everyone like the hassle getting to the airport.
i have a car dude. it doesnt go 300mph but i like it better then getting on a train. for me, it doesnt seem like its worth the investment. but if private investors want to step up and pay for it, im all for it. im not in favor of using tax dollars for a project that has very limited value.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:30 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,866,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i have a car dude. it doesnt go 300mph but i like it better then getting on a train. for me, it doesnt seem like its worth the investment. but if private investors want to step up and pay for it, im all for it. im not in favor of using tax dollars for a project that has very limited value.
Then the Govt shouldn't build Highways.....Rail and Roads should be = in getting Federal funding but there not and its starting to hurt this country in terms of mobility and freight...

Old 02-22-2011, 11:47 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,866,231 times
Heres the New Portal Bridges Under Construction across the Hackensack River...

New Portal Bridge (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/5470578340/ - broken link) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/ - broken link), on Flickr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey