Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:50 PM

10 posts, read 27,374 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the responses! It seems I will need to wait to purchase. I've continued to look in other areas commutable to NYC outside of Jersey, finding little. I'm growing more and more opposed to commuting from philly but I would be living at home, which means I would obviously be able to save more and buy sooner than I could than if I were paying 1200/mo in rent. The benefits are more intangibles like never having to cook dinner or do my laundry and being able to have a dog and work 12-14 hrs a day.

I suppose I will continue to think about renting vs commuting now. I'm just not sure how much I'd mind sitting on a train for 4 hours a day. Part of me thinks it's something I will get used to, but all my friends think I'm insane. I have been driving 45 min. each way for silly summer jobs since high school - and I've kind of grown to like the quiet time. 2 hours is a lot longer than 45 min though, ha.

The other unknown variable right now is travel. I'm pretty confident I will be working 50hrs/wk normally and 60-70+ during busy times so obviously commuting will not be pretty. However, I was told I could travel up to 70% of the time...or I might not travel at all. Hence my real opposition to renting besides wanting to move on from college and live roommate free. I don't want to be paying rent somewhere I'm not going to be living, but I could justify paying a mortgage.

I guess so much of it is wait and see. I don't think I will be starting until after September so perhaps I will try out my commute a few times in the summer before I start to make sure it's something I can handle long-term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 02:59 PM

357 posts, read 1,026,754 times
AJK,

Commuting is horrible, trust me on this. I commute about an hour, actually about 45min and it wears on you (from NJ to Manhattan). You are working long hours, after a 12 hour day at work, heck even 10 hour, the last thing you want is to sit on a train for 2hours. Off course everyone is different but most people would agree. Get yourself an apartment in Northern NJ, rent and see how you like it.

I was in your shoes about 6 years ago. I ended up in the lyndhurst/rutherford area. Heck you can buy a co op in Rutherford, 1 bedroom for 100k, 2 bed under 200k. I would rent to see if you like the area and buy in a year or so.

Good luck and congrats on graduation and a new job.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:37 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJK2010 View Post
Thanks for all the responses! It seems I will need to wait to purchase. I've continued to look in other areas commutable to NYC outside of Jersey, finding little. I'm growing more and more opposed to commuting from philly but I would be living at home, which means I would obviously be able to save more and buy sooner than I could than if I were paying 1200/mo in rent. The benefits are more intangibles like never having to cook dinner or do my laundry and being able to have a dog and work 12-14 hrs a day.

I suppose I will continue to think about renting vs commuting now. I'm just not sure how much I'd mind sitting on a train for 4 hours a day. Part of me thinks it's something I will get used to, but all my friends think I'm insane. I have been driving 45 min. each way for silly summer jobs since high school - and I've kind of grown to like the quiet time. 2 hours is a lot longer than 45 min though, ha.

The other unknown variable right now is travel. I'm pretty confident I will be working 50hrs/wk normally and 60-70+ during busy times so obviously commuting will not be pretty. However, I was told I could travel up to 70% of the time...or I might not travel at all. Hence my real opposition to renting besides wanting to move on from college and live roommate free. I don't want to be paying rent somewhere I'm not going to be living, but I could justify paying a mortgage.

I guess so much of it is wait and see. I don't think I will be starting until after September so perhaps I will try out my commute a few times in the summer before I start to make sure it's something I can handle long-term.
public accounting?

Old 02-23-2011, 09:21 PM

10 posts, read 27,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
public accounting?
BINGO! You win. That obvious?

Old 02-23-2011, 09:47 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
BINGO! You win. That obvious?
not at all. the good news is, you're really only that busy for busy season. outside of that, you get to have a life. then, when you finally realize that the big 4 (and other firms) suck, you'll move onto private. lol.

if you want to not be miserable and enjoy your free time, move near the city. 2 hour commute will suck. when you have to travel for work, you'll pocket a lot of cash because of expense accounts.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:48 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,671 times
Quote:
Hi all,

I will be graduating from grad school this May and have secured a job in NYC. The job in NYC is a pretty major change for me. As of a couple months ago I was planning on moving to the South (as I had a job there for after graduation). Anyway, when I was going to be moving south I planned on buying myself a condo/townhouse. Now that I'm going to be working in New York it seems as though my home-owning dreams have gone to the wayside.

My current commuting option is to commute from a northeast Philly Suburb (20 min drive to Hamilton station). I estimate door to door commute of 2 hrs. I'm currently in the process of looking to purchase a small condo/townhouse in northern New Jersey but am having little luck. Is it possible for me to purchase something in a safe area (I'm from and LOVE me a good suburb) for $200k (ideally around $150k)? I've looked a little at Fort Lee. I really prefer not dealing with a roommate otherwise I would just room with friends in the city. I also don't want to rent, especially if I could commute from home and save money for a purchase later on. Am I being realistic about commuting from suburban Philly? I hear people do this but have never actually met anyone who does it...perhaps they're still on the train (har har). Also, what's the deal with association fees with condos? Is $300-500/mo reasonable for an association fee???

Any help would be great!
Thanks
which part of suburban philly I know the area and may be able to find an even better route for you!!!! what roads are ya close to look at this map in phillymap.com to get an idea of ur options.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:52 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,671 times
Quote:

I would septa to 30th and use megabus that $1 bus cause that bus takes less than 2 hours to get to NYC!!!!!! plus at AM rush there are EXPRESS TRAINS TO 30TH STREET FROM WHERE U ARE!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey