Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 05:38 PM
80r 80r started this thread

17 posts, read 46,432 times

Advertisements

I've been doing research on Weehawken, and have been reading a lot of threads from here. I see mention that a lot of rentals are from multi-family homes where the owner merely places a "for rent" sign in the front, rather than listing on Craigslist or apartment sites. What of any apartment complexes though? I've only seen a couple absurdly expensive luxury high rises, yet I see no mention of small apartments, anywhere.

My roommate and I are hoping to get a 2br for $1500; could we find a nice apartment in Weehawken at that price? I suspect we may find something suitable in the multi-family structures, but having never lived in one, I wonder what the downsides of living in such would be? We are both 23 and, while throwing parties is unlikely for us, I don't think we'd be very quiet; we wouldn't want a landlord complaining of noise.

I have one more question. I've read varying comments on Weehawken 'night-life'. Most said there was nothing of the sort, but I did read a couple comments saying that there are bars and restaurants aplenty. I expect little, which is fine because of the cities that surround it, but how much exactly is there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 06:33 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
Weehawken doesn't have any nightlife...some spots in nearby Union City for that but mostly Hoboken is where the nightlife is.

Are you going to give a landlord an excuse to complain about the noise???

Old 03-09-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Weehawken doesn't have any nightlife...some spots in nearby Union City for that but mostly Hoboken is where the nightlife is.

Are you going to give a landlord an excuse to complain about the noise???
Not exactly. If I have to be quiet, I'll be quiet, but I don't want to be restricted to it. I have about ~$1000 in my audio and intend to upgrade and expand upon it. I certainly won't be blasting music at all hours of the night, but I would like to be permitted a comfortable range of noise.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:37 AM

595 posts, read 1,558,962 times
weehawken is one of those areas that you need to pay close attention to. I got a 2.5 bedroom apartment in weehawken for $1400, includes heat and hot water. GREAT PRICE and its in an apartment building in a good area! but you have to monitor the real estate there every day. I was able to find the apartment through craigslist, that was posted by a realtor. I got it in Feburary, I have been searching since mid December. the realtor was great to work with. If you want, I can give you her name and number. She posts often on craigslist.

if anything you should notice, the smaller weehawken gets and the closer the streets get to park ave, usually the more urban the area becomes and not as pretty. By 46th st, the streets are only a block long before they reach park ave.

another reason for weehawken is the parking situtation. it's better than the other areas because it has many residiential homes with garages. so far every time i've driven there, i was always able to find a parking spot with little difficulty

Old 03-10-2011, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the info Seduflow. So I should definitely have no trouble finding a nice 2br for under $1500. Speaking of "good areas," which is better? The section between Palisade and Park Ave or Park Ave and Blvd East?

Old 03-10-2011, 07:32 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,475 times
check out trulia.com You should be able to find apartments listed there. If you can find something in Wes new York as well thats right next door.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:49 PM

trulia.com sucks. put your energy more into craigslist

it is not easy finding a place with 2 BR for under $1500 in the area I picked. What I got is rare! I got it literally the day after it was posted on craigslist (feb 2). I'm sure if I left it open for even a few days, it would have been gone.

http://img340.imageshack.us/i/weehawken.png/

http://www.weehawken-nj.us/images/whkmap.jpg (broken link)

the weehawken is that to the left of lincoln tunnel is less desirable. the public transportation there takes longer, less frequent, and the area is much more urban since it's literally right next to union city. the area to the right of Lincoln tunnel has the blvd east road which has buses coming all the time. the area also has multiple blocks of separation from park ave and have a semi-suburban feeling. only till you get about 46th st do the streets because only a block long, and then smaller blocks as you move up to 51st. also the parking situation is easier if you live before 46th street because most of the house there are residential and they have their own garages.

Last edited by Seduflow; 03-10-2011 at 09:03 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 10:11 PM

Thanks again Seduflow. I'll be sure to keep my eye out on Craigslist over the next few months and may drive down there and check out the multi-family dwellings, as well. Weehawken seems to be the next place I'll live.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:34 PM

weehawken is great. you will like it a lot. keep me posted on your progress. curious to know and help out

Old 09-24-2011, 04:46 PM

3 posts, read 9,075 times
Default Weehawken,NJ

Seduflow....You have much information and I'm glad I read this post. My finance and I plan to move to Weehawken from Manhattan, NY with our 12yr old daughter. Can you give me any information about Weehawken High School please? Is this a good school or can you recommend a school to look into for an 8th grader? Thank you and appreciate your wisdom!

Sincerely,
Angel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey