Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 07:26 PM

787 posts, read 1,776,844 times

Advertisements

I lived in Jersey City for 2.5years, on the edge of Bayonne. I could make it by train to 51st and 7th in 75mins most of the time. If you time the trains right, average would probably be about an hour, though there's obviously a bit of variance. So you could consider Bayonne - you can definitely find a fairly spacious 2-bed in your budget near the 45th st or 32nd st Bayonne light rail station. Light rail to Exchange Place PATH would be about 13mins on the train, Path to Penn station (33rd/6th) probably 15mins. Another 15 on the subway... Add expected wait-times at Exchange and Penn, and you're at an hour. But you'll need to factor in walking times and expected-wait variance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 05:01 PM

13 posts, read 27,727 times
Hello, 7 months back we were in the same situation as you, deciding where to live in NJ with mostly all the criterias you listed. We have 2 toddler boys, it was hard. We went through all the towns you have listed believe me the commute is long from all those towns. We eventually picked Secaucus, and are at HArmon Cove Towers. It is a big gated community of apartments & townhouses. The bus to NY city (midtown) picks you from the tower and takes you straight to PAuthority. It is around 25 to 50 mins journey on a good & a bad day. It is within your budget depending on you what you want an apartment or townhouse. There is lot of activities for children to do within the complex, google or tour yourself. The craiglist is good for searching the rentals here or speak to Raj Agarwal (google) he was our realtor.

My boys now go to daycare, but prior to this went to a library program which starts at 3. Also there is a local nursery known as St Mathews from 3. All have a long waiting list the sooner you register the better. The library is excellent my boys love going there. The proper school or kindergarten starts at age 5 before then the local options are good. You should have a car but can survive for a month or so. Good luck! we are Indians as well and find the town very mixed.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:06 PM

22 posts, read 53,724 times
Thank you all. I have contacted an agent at Coldwell Banker and hope to get something in the budget.

Cheers,
Nitin

Old 04-11-2011, 08:09 AM

2 posts, read 5,559 times
My boyfriend and I are in our sixties, and want to buy a house together with at least ten acres and a scenic view (hills, water); not far from shopping, hospital, culture, and equal distance to NYC, shore or Philly. What do people suggest? Also does anyone know how easy it is to sell houses in Cherry Hill and Raritan Township now? That is where our current houses are located.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:33 PM

64 posts, read 170,242 times
Hi Meghna,

I saw your post about Harmon Cove. Can you tell me a bit more about the building and the community? I am interested in moving that side as well. I work in uptown Manhattan and currently live in Queens. No car here, since Queens does not require it.

Do I have to have one for living in Harmon Cove? Also, where do residents of Harmon Cove shop? Any supermarket near by?

Thanks, Dee

Old 05-06-2011, 05:54 PM

22 posts, read 53,724 times
I am getting a townhouse in Summt at New England village. The house has a basement with w/d unit and storage, detached garage, 2 bed and 1.5 bath for $2400. It is close to station and nursery schools. I liked it and have made an offer. Does anyone staying in Summit or familiar with the area has anything to comment or share?

Old 05-07-2011, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,040 times
Westfield, NJ is one of the best towns in Jersey. You could definitely get even a luxury apartment for that budget. Lived their for a year and it just a wonderful family town, excellent schools. amazing downtown. If you ever decide to buy you'll find Westfield has a lot more options than many towns in North Jersey. It is safe, people are nice and has every convenience you could want.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:46 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_shams View Post
I am getting a townhouse in Summt at New England village. The house has a basement with w/d unit and storage, detached garage, 2 bed and 1.5 bath for $2400. It is close to station and nursery schools. I liked it and have made an offer. Does anyone staying in Summit or familiar with the area has anything to comment or share?
Summit is a wonderful town, my only concern is that you stated you will not have a car and there is no real grocery store in downtown Summit. There are a few convenience stores witch carry a limited supply of canned goods, paper products, etc. but getting meat and produce will be an issue without a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey