Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 05:22 PM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
I generally don't enter the left lane period except to pass if I'm moving slower than it, kind of silly to do so, but, no, flashing your brights is not a courtesy, it's an annoyance, and I have no clue why you would think blinding someone is going to get them to be more sensitive to what you want.
I don't think anyone here is talking about putting high beams on and keeping them on, just a quick flash on and off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 07:12 AM

312 posts, read 1,164,225 times
Bottom line is the left lane is for PASSING whether it be a 2 lane road or a multi lane high way. Anyone who cruises the left lane and purposely slows down is an inconsiderate driver (jerk) who never learned to drive properly. Even though I don't like doing it myself, flashing someone who fails to move out of the passing lane is fair driving etiquette.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
By the way, on the whole I find NJ drivers "get" this concept of the left lane being for faster moving traffic and the vast majority of them have the sense to move out of the way (I'm talking about the major highways). It is a FAR bigger problem in NY - in particular LI.
I have lived and driven in many places around the U.S. and when I moved to NYC metro (this is many years ago) the 1st thing I noticed is the number of drivers who blocked the passing lane and just refused to move over no matter what. When I got my NY licence and asked about this I found out that that keeping right except to pass is a foreign concept in NY and is neither taught to new drivers nor practiced by natives. That was back in the '70's and may be changed now but whenever I get stuck behind one of these people I always think: someone else who learned to drive in NY.
N.J. is full of them.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:59 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I have lived and driven in many places around the U.S. and when I moved to NYC metro (this is many years ago) the 1st thing I noticed is the number of drivers who blocked the passing lane and just refused to move over no matter what. When I got my NY licence and asked about this I found out that that keeping right except to pass is a foreign concept in NY and is neither taught to new drivers nor practiced by natives. That was back in the '70's and may be changed now but whenever I get stuck behind one of these people I always think: someone else who learned to drive in NY.
N.J. is full of them.

Your observation on NY drivers is right on target.
Going beyond their common left lane blocking behavior, I can add another incredibly dangerous driving behavior that I observed countless times when I lived in Rahway, fairly close to Route 1.

Almost daily, I would see cars with NY license plates stopped in the left lane of very busy Route 1, attempting to make a left turn against traffic, despite the presence at every intersection of a sign saying "NO LEFT TURN".

Additionally, many intersections had jughandles that were clearly labeled with signs saying "ALL TURNS". I noticed just as many NYers trying to make illegal and dangerous left turns at those intersections as I did at the intersections that lacked a jughandle for turns.

On more than a few occasions, I also observed cars with NY plates "parked" in the right lane of Route 1, in sections where there is no road shoulder. I finally concluded that all too many NY drivers were unable to distinguish between what might be appropriate on a side street and what is appropriate on a highway.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:01 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
That was back in the '70's and may be changed now but whenever I get stuck behind one of these people I always think: someone else who learned to drive in NY.
N.J. is full of them.
NY is usually worse than NJ on this. In NY I've had people deliberately jam on the brakes trying to make you hit them, have seen NY city drivers having arguments with their passengers in the left lane, etc.

MD seems to be worse then both NJ & NY, they don't have much of a clue there either.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:08 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
Another thing I noticed about NY drivers is that many of them learned to drive later in life, after they moved out of the city to L.I or wherever. Again this is years ago.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:08 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
i actually assumed it was illegal, but thats not going to stop me from doing it. driving like a sissy in the left lane is also illegal. i played a little game this morning with some guy in the left lane, see how close i can get to his rear bumper. it helps pass the time.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:31 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Actually I see fairly decent "lane discipline" outside of rush hour, at least on the GSP at night. It seems like most people do "get it" and keep the left lanes clear for passing, except for once in a while you get a clueless driver, or maybe an obstinate one, sometimes the state fuzzolini's pull them over, other times it makes you look for the "pulverize ray" switch on your dashboard.
I think it's legal, as it is a courtesy custom in most places.
eh. i've driven at all hours of the day, and the GSP is particularly annoying for me, because it's 5 lanes wide, and there's always someone in each lane. it's like playing ******* between cars.

i flash lights if they are going below the speed limit or if they are in the left lanes and going the speed limit or only slightly over.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
I don't know whether or not it's illegal, but, when people do this to me I put on the breaks and slow down significantly (as much as is safe; going more than 5 under speed limit on the highway is asking for an accident) .

Yeah, it sucks when someone is going slowly on the left lane (and you shouldn't be in the left lane of the highway if you are going less than speed limit + 5 generally), but, flashing your brights at someone is a jerk move in any circumstances, and I have no clue why you should expect people to react in the way you want after you do so.
it's not meant to be a jerk move, but that's how you take it.

flashing lights quickly is just a driver saying...hey, can i pass. responding in a spiteful way is a jerk move.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIK92 View Post
I mean it is the fast lane, or passing lane in other words so people SHOULD know that they have to move out of the way even if that person is going faster than you. I mean especially if that person has finished passing, or if there is no car blocking that car on the right.

When I was in PA, people moved out of the left lane immediately after passing, which I found amazing.
i'm from PA originally, and that's what I'm used to. my dad gets so annoyed when he drives out to visit me, crosses the deleware water gap, and immediately has to play *******.

not sure why frog ger is censored above?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey