Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 04:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Your parental rights do not supersede my first amendment rights, meaning you do not have the right to stop someone from expressing themselves. Now your child is absolutely entitled to an education free from a political rant from a teacher and I would absolutely understand teachers being censured for such an occurrence.

That being said, wearing a button, polo shirt, or necklace, with either political or religious overtones does not equate to a "rant".
your 1st amendment rights can be restricted while on the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 04:16 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,065,051 times
Quote:
What exactly is the problem with this? Is it that you hate the union or is it that you think teachers shouldn't be allowed to show their support for any cause?

Are you equally against the yellow ribbon I frequently wear to show support for the troops? If not, why not? What about breast cancer or aids awareness support ribbons? How about the Earth Day t-shirt I wore yesterday? Is that not allowed either?

Or what about a cross? That is certainly a statement about my religious beliefs. Are you claiming I cannot wear a cross in school either? If not why not? Why are my political leanings not allowed in a classroom but my religious ones are?
Let's put aside for a moment what is legal and not legal. I tried to change the title on this post after I wrote it to take out the word "allowed." You bring up a valid point, but separate point. That was not the discussion I meant to start.

Let's just talk about what is "best for the children."

Is it best for the children to be exposed to these labor wars in the classroom? How is education enhanced by teachers wearing political shirts and buttons?

I can understand wearing such items to meetings, rallies, etc. That I get. That is adults doing business with adults.

When they bring this stuff into the classroom, then the teachers are using the children as pawns in my opinion.

As an educator, please explain to me how wearing this propaganda enhances a child's education in our public schools.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:40 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,664,631 times
Yes, 1st. Amendment rights can't be limited within certain limited parameters. The case law on the topic fills volumes and is FAR from black and white.

I could care less if they display a union bottom. But a t-shirt in a classroom teaching assignment? I really can't see that as acceptable. It the topic or job assignment involves a physical or is as such inherently dirty, fine. But a math or English teacher in a t-shirt? Can't agree with that. they should present a professional appearance if as nothing else a role model.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:12 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,967,533 times
Quote:
Says who? You?

Half the teachers in my school wear t-shirts and jeans Mon-Weds at a minimum. The entire, technology department, science department and ROTC departments to be exact. The science teachers are in the field doing hand on experiments, dissections, etc. Meanwhile the ROTC teachers are leading PT and the technology teachers are working in the shop.

Personally, I am responsible for nearly 1000 gallons of aquaria. If I wore dress clothes while cleaning filters, doing water changes, etc I would need a thousand dollar a month clothing budget.

On Friday I am taking 12 students camping for an overnight academic competition. I don't think I could put up a tent in a pantsuit and heels.
Obviously shop teachers and gym teachers are going to be in jeans, shorts, t-shirts, overalls, etc. etc. I don't think RobRiguez was talking about THEM. And obviously, if you are taking students camping, no one is going to expect you to be in a pantsuit and heels. And actually, I don't think anybody expects you to be in a pantsuit and heels even inside the classroom. However, wearing a t-shirt isn't very professional or appropriate.

When I was in high school (in the 90s), the teachers that had to handle butchered fetal pigs, frog guts, chemicals and bunsen burners all still managed to look professional. They didn't wear formal suits or heels, but they didn't wear t-shirts either.

Last edited by Docendo discimus; 05-03-2011 at 05:21 PM..

Old 05-03-2011, 05:19 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,967,533 times
Quote:
Your parental rights do not supersede my first amendment rights, meaning you do not have the right to stop someone from expressing themselves. Now your child is absolutely entitled to an education free from a political rant from a teacher and I would absolutely understand teachers being censured for such an occurrence.

That being said, wearing a button, polo shirt, or necklace, with either political or religious overtones does not equate to a "rant".
I love when people invoke their First Amendment rights to justify inappropriate behavior. Your First Amendment rights protect your freedom to do and say many, many things...lots of good things, lots of bad things, lots of foolish things, and in this case an unprofessional thing.

When you invoke the union in the classroom by wearing a union t-shirt, it isn't about expressing "pride" or "solidarity" or any of that other propaganda BS. It's about expressing your dissatisfaction with your COMPENSATION. When combined with the picketing, it's an especially hostile gesture.

And to go off topic a little bit for a second...I know that picketing in front of schools is a tradition for teachers, but it never made sense to me. It's the board of ed. that yays or nays your contracts, not the kids inside the school or their parents. Maybe you should picket outside the board of ed. or town hall. I witnessed a couple of teacher strikes/pickets as a child and I assumed the teachers were angry, and I wondered if they were angry at US. As a child, I had no CLUE about unions or teacher compensation or school budgets or state and municipal budgets. I agree with Ann77's sentiment that this is a manipulative move.

Supporting breast cancer awareness, AIDS awareness, Earth Day...these things are not analogous in any way to rallying for your union.

As far as wearing religious paraphernalia to express your religion...that is not analogous either. Obviously no one is going to question your First Amendment right to free exercise of religion. You can wear a cross, a Star of David or a turban. However, this is different from wearing a t-shirt that says "SUPPORT CHRISTIANITY". When you wear a union t-shirt you are saying "SUPPORT THE UNION". The classroom is not the appropriate arena for trying to SWAY people.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:30 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Let's put aside for a moment what is legal and not legal. I tried to change the title on this post after I wrote it to take out the word "allowed." You bring up a valid point, but separate point. That was not the discussion I meant to start.

Let's just talk about what is "best for the children."

Is it best for the children to be exposed to these labor wars in the classroom? How is education enhanced by teachers wearing political shirts and buttons?

I can understand wearing such items to meetings, rallies, etc. That I get. That is adults doing business with adults.

When they bring this stuff into the classroom, then the teachers are using the children as pawns in my opinion.

As an educator, please explain to me how wearing this propaganda enhances a child's education in our public schools.
You are the one trying to make the point that it shouldn't be allowed. Therefore it is your responsibility to prove how it is detrimental.

My wearing a cross to school would not benefit my students, but that doesn't mean I am not allowed to do it.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
I love when people invoke their First Amendment rights to justify inappropriate behavior. Your First Amendment rights protect your freedom to do and say many, many things...lots of good things, lots of bad things, lots of foolish things, and in this case an unprofessional thing.

When you invoke the union in the classroom by wearing a union t-shirt, it isn't about expressing "pride" or "solidarity" or any of that other propaganda BS. It's about expressing your dissatisfaction with your COMPENSATION. When combined with the picketing, it's an especially hostile gesture.
First, of all I am extremely happy with how my contract came in. So when and if, I were to wear a union t-shirt or button, it would not mean anything except I am not ashamed to be part of a professional association.

I wear my NJMEA t-shirts frequently, it has nothing to do with my compensation and everything to do with my pride in professional learning of my craft.

Quote:
And to go off topic a little bit for a second...I know that picketing in front of schools is a tradition for teachers, but it never made sense to me. It's the board of ed. that yays or nays your contracts, not the kids inside the school or their parents. Maybe you should picket outside the board of ed. or town hall. I witnessed a couple of teacher strikes/pickets as a child and I assumed the teachers were angry, and I wondered if they were angry at US. As a child, I had no CLUE about unions or teacher compensation or school budgets or state and municipal budgets. I agree with Ann77's sentiment that this is a manipulative move.

Supporting breast cancer awareness, AIDS awareness, Earth Day...these things are not analogous in any way to rallying for your union.
Earth day is a very political issue for many people. My support of it is indicative of my political values, same would apply with supporting my union.

There are also many people who would find wearing an AIDS awareness ribbon inappropriate (I know this from a parent complaint) but that does not make it unprofessional or inappropriate.

Quote:
As far as wearing religious paraphernalia to express your religion...that is not analogous either. Obviously no one is going to question your First Amendment right to free exercise of religion. You can wear a cross, a Star of David or a turban. However, this is different from wearing a t-shirt that says "SUPPORT CHRISTIANITY". When you wear a union t-shirt you are saying "SUPPORT THE UNION". The classroom is not the appropriate arena for trying to SWAY people.
Why does a t-shirt with a logo stating my professional association equate to propaganda and a cross stating my religious association not?

They are both stating what my beliefs are, wearing a union button or carrying a mug with the NJEA logo on it no more influences students than wearing a cross or ashes on my forehead. And fyi, the children cannot vote so there is no reason someone is trying to "sway" children.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
Obviously shop teachers and gym teachers are going to be in jeans, shorts, t-shirts, overalls, etc. etc. I don't think RobRiguez was talking about THEM. And obviously, if you are taking students camping, no one is going to expect you to be in a pantsuit and heels. And actually, I don't think anybody expects you to be in a pantsuit and heels even inside the classroom. However, wearing a t-shirt isn't very professional or appropriate.

When I was in high school (in the 90s), the teachers that had to handle butchered fetal pigs, frog guts, chemicals and bunsen burners all still managed to look professional. They didn't wear formal suits or heels, but they didn't wear t-shirts either.
They probably didn't go seining, out on a research vessel or manage some 800+ gallons of aquaria either. But the reality is that the demand for more hands on inquiry based learning (and my school is a top school for just this reason) means that teachers are no longer standing in front of a blackboard in front of a pristine classroom. At least many of us are not, and we are still professionals.

So really, what is the appropriate dress code for seining? For a research vessel? For maintaining aquaria?

And FYI on the kids uniform days (two days a week at my school) I am in a pantsuit and heels.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:24 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
why are we talking about casual vs formal dress? i thought the real argument was whether or not its ok to wear things that advocate a position particularly a position that is controversial.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:25 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,065,051 times
Quote:
You are the one trying to make the point that it shouldn't be allowed. Therefore it is your responsibility to prove how it is detrimental.

My wearing a cross to school would not benefit my students, but that doesn't mean I am not allowed to do it.
I just wrote in my post that you responded to that I tried to change the title of the post once I saw it to take out the word "allowed" as that was not the point I was trying to discuss.

So whether or not it is legal (it is), is not the point I was trying to make.

My original post was that the children should be kept out of these labor wars as much as possible. Teachers in a school wearing NJEA t-shirts and buttons is not appropriate or professional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey