Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,577 times

Advertisements

Have you considered Montclair? I am a single female, 25, and am also moving to NJ to work in the Basking Ridge area this month. A few people have suggested the Montclair area to me for a good place to live and meet people that isn't quite the commute you'd have living in Hoboken/JC....and not quite as expensive as Morristown.

Sorry for hijacking your post, it just seems we are in the same boat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 05:50 AM

21 posts, read 48,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caswann View Post
Have you considered Montclair? I am a single female, 25, and am also moving to NJ to work in the Basking Ridge area this month. A few people have suggested the Montclair area to me for a good place to live and meet people that isn't quite the commute you'd have living in Hoboken/JC....and not quite as expensive as Morristown.

Sorry for hijacking your post, it just seems we are in the same boat!

Hijacking? No way, post all you want. I have gotten some great information from this thread and I welcome more feedback.

Will you be working for Verizon too?

Old 05-16-2011, 07:53 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
montclaire is nice also, but not as vibrant as morristown, if you are comparing living to Hoboken.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
montclaire is nice also, but not as vibrant as morristown, if you are comparing living to Hoboken.
I just spent the weekend in the Basking Ridge/Morristown area looking for places. I'm having doubts about my offer of employment because 40% or so of my income will be going towards rent and utilities.

Simply getting a decent 1 bedroom apartment will run $1700 at best then tack on all the utilities, pet fees, parking, etc and your way over $2000.

Hopefully they will consider a cost of living adjustment

My exuberant excitement about this opportunity has been muted by the fact that my net gain is near zero (verging on negative) compared with my current situation.

Keeping my head up and remaining optimistic

Old 05-16-2011, 09:28 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthM0sk View Post
I just spent the weekend in the Basking Ridge/Morristown area looking for places. I'm having doubts about my offer of employment because 40% or so of my income will be going towards rent and utilities.

Simply getting a decent 1 bedroom apartment will run $1700 at best then tack on all the utilities, pet fees, parking, etc and your way over $2000.

Hopefully they will consider a cost of living adjustment

My exuberant excitement about this opportunity has been muted by the fact that my net gain is near zero (verging on negative) compared with my current situation.

Keeping my head up and remaining optimistic
well, you're living options will improve. but yeah, COL in some areas is simply higher here in NJ.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:52 AM

141 posts, read 243,876 times
Why don't you look at Madison or Chatham. They have Garden Apartments on Main St. from about 1100-1200 a month. It doesn't have the feel of Morristown but it's not that far from it (5-10 minutes). Direct train service to NYC too.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:15 PM

If anyone knows anyone looking for a roommate that wants to live in Morristown, please let me know.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:53 AM

Finally got a start date (June 13th). Not sure where I'm going to live . Everything in Morristown is ridiculously overpriced, but I want to be near the green. Guess I have no choice

Old 05-24-2011, 07:08 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthM0sk View Post
Finally got a start date (June 13th). Not sure where I'm going to live . Everything in Morristown is ridiculously overpriced, but I want to be near the green. Guess I have no choice
Some people ikno said its worth the price ,you could live 45mins away in New Brunswick , or Summit.. New Brunswick should have more cheaper places to rent , at least 1500-1800$. Its also a College town , and a has a decent nightlife and Art community. More and more commuter Couples and singles are moving to that small city. Its about 50 mins from both your work in Basking Ridge and NYC. Summit is a dense small Suburban town about 45 mins from Basking Ridge , its got a small nightlife scene and has a growing commuter community aswell. Its more laided back and peaceful.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:18 AM

Yes. It's just sticker shock to me. Not use to $2K a month for rent! Where will the party/social money come from? LOL

But if gas is $4 a gallon and now I'm 15 min from work instead of 40-60minutes that saves a ton of money. Plus if I'm walking to my social life in downtown Morristown, that is better than driving to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey