Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 07:21 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
I go to all these areas and I only see NJ's docile bears and never any mountain lions. I would like to play with one with my ball of yarn!

Seriously though has anyone noticed how NJ bears are pretty damn calm compared to bears elsewhere. I have never had a problem with them even though they always cross my path when I am hiking. I carry bear spray so I am never worried when they approach me. They are just curious and then they run away!
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 08:37 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMiser View Post

I also heard what I believe was the prolonged shrieking wails of a mountain lion in the middle of the night in early spring around the same time period. To this day I can still recall that sound. I was sure I'd find something dead in the front yard by morning's light. The unearthly shrieks sounded like a woman being murdered, high-pitched long cries that I'll never forget.
It sounds like you are describing the call of a red fox.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:49 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
It sounds like you are describing the call of a red fox.

Screech owls will do that as well. Right now the fox and owls are in love and express their passion in shrieks. A neighbor called the cops, thinking a baby was left out in the woods.

Even young of the year great horned owls will make a awful screeching sound...at least into the fall, not sure when their voice changes.

As tiny as a screech owl is, they can raise the roof and set the dogs off, hackles raised and adrenalin frothing. Hold onto your blood pressure when they let go near an open bedroom window at night !!

red phase screech owl

Old 11-25-2014, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,118 times
Holland & Holland .375 for a nice rug. Stay safe.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:46 PM

298 posts, read 341,810 times
Default Mountain Lion

Hmmmm. Wildlife experts will tell you that there are exactly ZERO mountain lions left in the northeast, including NY/NJ, CT, MA and Vermont. Any Mountain lion you find was introduced or taken from a zoo or game reserve.

As for Sussex county and Poconos... AWFUL. Formerly pristine areas, overdeveloped, crowded, traffic etc. No planning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
MOUNTAIN LIONS IN NEW JERSEY Details at the below link.
MOUNTAIN LIONS IN NEW JERSEY

My son was hiking in the northwest corner of New Jersey in a rocky area near High Point Mountain and saw a mountain lion. He went back to the area with his friend, Bill and they found the mountain lion in a rocky den. It was NOT a Bobcat. The below article comes from the same area of New Jersey. I placed some maps on the webpage.
Mountain Lion males grow to 150 pounds. That is a pretty, big cat... It's a dangerous situation for humans and the animals.
Jack Cunningham
VIETNAM WAR CAP MARINE
Sussex, NJ

Old 11-25-2014, 09:07 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
I doubt there are any mountain lions left in New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey