Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 09:33 AM

15 posts, read 24,388 times

Advertisements

where to live. We currently live in Paramus and I am tired of driving so far but it is still 1 hour each way for me most day. I want to move to a bigger house with a big yard. Wife does not want too long a commute. She likes the freedom of leaving for work late and driving to park and ride at Vince Lombardi. I want good schools as well. Maximum is $1 million. We have 2 young kids so good schools are important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 11:11 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
If you are trying to cut down travel time for both that is difficult considering your different work locations.

Since you are both on either end of the NJTP as far a job location then I would look for something adjacent to the Turnpike.
If you want some property and good schools then I would look into East Brunswick which would be close for you and a short drive to the Lombardi parking area.If you look further East it will be more difficult to find a home with a large lot as you are getting into more congested areas.
I prefer Somerset County but that makes getting to the Turnpike more difficult and time consuming.

Some people only consider towns with the absolute best schools and never take into consideration commute times. That's something only you can decide which best suits your needs.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If you are trying to cut down travel time for both that is difficult considering your different work locations.

Since you are both on either end of the NJTP as far a job location then I would look for something adjacent to the Turnpike.
If you want some property and good schools then I would look into East Brunswick which would be close for you and a short drive to the Lombardi parking area.If you look further East it will be more difficult to find a home with a large lot as you are getting into more congested areas.
I prefer Somerset County but that makes getting to the Turnpike more difficult and time consuming.

Some people only consider towns with the absolute best schools and never take into consideration commute times. That's something only you can decide which best suits your needs.
thanks. East Brunswick is nice but that is way to far from Vince Lombardi Park and Ride area.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:51 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,164,268 times
I doubt very highly that you're going to be able to find it an advantage both ways. What is the max commute you are looking to do? East Windsor is off of the turnpike - exit 8 - as you probably already know. If you start to go up the Turnpike, the towns that are closest to it are not the most ideal. If your wife is not willing to give up the short commute to the Vince Lombardi Park & Ride, you might as well stay where you are.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:58 PM

It is not as much about the miles as the time. I would prefer to be 50 minutes or less. While it is 1 hour on most days on bad days like today it was 1 hour 20 minutes.

Are there any towns not far off the turnpike on 78 that have good transportation options and maybe midtown direct.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:49 AM

Just as important as the commute, I would like a bigger property. Right now the lot size is 60X100. I want to increase by a minimum 25%.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:54 AM

71 posts, read 162,989 times
For those 2 locations, I think the closest youre going to get in Windsor w/o your wife wanting to Lynch you for moving too far for her would be Westfield/Cranford/Summit area. I did your commute from Westfield to Cherry Hill and now head out to Long Island and the Lombardi isnt bad for me in the morning but that turnpike drive wore me down...and I didnt care for the job sooooo

Old 11-20-2011, 07:43 AM
PDD

I found a house and town for you. The house is not my style but it is new it's halfway between Lombardi and East Windsor. It has good schools and a lot size close to what you are looking for. It is under your budget

Check it out

87 Orchard St Metuchen NJ - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #206079 - Realtor.com®

Old 11-20-2011, 06:14 PM

16 posts, read 51,267 times
Metuchen is okay, good that it has train that runs into NYC.

Regarding the home that PDD referred here... For that price, you can buy a very very nice home in Greater Princeton area. This house itself was in very basic build quality, entry level material was used.. It is evilly priced, and it's located right off I287 and Rt-1. Bad Bad buy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I found a house and town for you. The house is not my style but it is new it's halfway between Lombardi and East Windsor. It has good schools and a lot size close to what you are looking for. It is under your budget

Check it out

87 Orchard St Metuchen NJ - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #206079 - Realtor.com®

Old 11-21-2011, 06:03 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmzymxf View Post
Metuchen is okay, good that it has train that runs into NYC.

Regarding the home that PDD referred here... For that price, you can buy a very very nice home in Greater Princeton area. This house itself was in very basic build quality, entry level material was used.. It is evilly priced, and it's located right off I287 and Rt-1. Bad Bad buy...
I agree with everthing in your post but OP is looking for something that does not exist. Shorter commute for him and wife, larger property and good schools. Princeton is too long a commute.
Some famous words;

"You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you might find
You get what you need."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey