Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 12:37 PM

22 posts, read 80,843 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are moving to New Jersey from Brazil. We will be uncovered for 31 days after arriving and we have 3 children!!! I am shocked to find that I cannot cover the family for the interim time. Please help! Does anyone know of a way to have temporary health insurance for an inbetween job situation?

Thank you,

Ashley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 12:49 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
You can buy private health insurance. I would be surprised if you had zero options.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:49 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,668,415 times
Hmmm? that's weird, I've never heard you can't get temporary insurance in NJ. You should call the NJ Department of Banking and Insurance. They can give you the definitive answer and point you in the directions of approved providers.

Mailing Address
New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance
20 West State St., P.O. Box 325
Trenton, NJ 08625

Phone number
(609) 292-5360

I would also call some big insurance providers directly like: Aetna, United/Oxford, and Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:01 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbrazil View Post
Hi,

We are moving to New Jersey from Brazil. We will be uncovered for 31 days after arriving and we have 3 children!!! I am shocked to find that I cannot cover the family for the interim time. Please help! Does anyone know of a way to have temporary health insurance for an inbetween job situation?

Thank you,

Ashley
This is only urgent if you have a sick child.
You probably won't need it for just 31 days.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:00 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
Normally when you leave one employer, they have to offer you Cobra, which is you paying the full cost to extend your medical benefits while you wait for your new employers health insurance to kick in. But since your moving from overseas, no American health insurance law is going to be able to force your Brazil employer to offer this. My only suggestion is look for private insurance, bu tit will be very expensive. Or you go without and hope nothing happens for 31 days.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:03 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
This is only urgent if you have a sick child.
You probably won't need it for just 31 days.
well, if someone doesnt want to take the chance that someone may need to make a trip to the emergency room (even for something minor but possibly major) then it could be urgent for them. if i only had me, id probably take the risk. but with a wife and a child the odds of something happening increase and its also better for them if im covered also.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:07 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
Quote:
Normally when you leave one employer, they have to offer you Cobra
This person is moving in after being employed outside this country. COBRA rules have no effect on that former employee. Getting a thirty day health insurance policy might be tough.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:28 PM

861 posts, read 2,718,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbrazil View Post
Hi,

Thank you,

Ashley
Are / will you be US citizens? If so, consider looking into this:
Health Insurance Program - NJ Protect

Old 12-01-2011, 03:40 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times
if this is their first time living in this country they will not be eligible for citizenship unless they have been living here and held permanent residency (green card) for 5 years. Student, travel and work visas don't count.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:34 PM

22 posts, read 80,843 times
Hi, I am an American citizen, my husband is Argentinian/Italian and our children are American/Brazilian/Italian. We will look into NJ Protect thanks! My husband is looking into travel insurance it is about $1,700 USD to cover all of us for one month and it is pretty good coverage. Up to $1,000,000 USD. The company is Assist Card and we don't have to have a return date which is a relief. The reps are very nice and really know what they are doing. $1,000 USD is not cheap but much better than 1 car wreck wiping our saving out and leaving us with tons of debt!

New Jersey sounds like it has very special insurance laws that don't allow medical underwriting (whatever that means : ) so you can't get a regular temporary policy. It may actually help us that we are moving from the outside as travel insurance looks like it is going to work for us.

Thanks for your input everyone!!

Ashley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey