Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 09:46 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,149,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
They just had Colts Neck on some HGTV show. Something like "Million dollar blocks" or something like that. They toured a few mega mansions there. One house built a 2 million dollar ice skating rink.
Yes, it is called "Billion Dollar Block". Very interesting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 06:53 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I'm glad you didn't come to my house because with that attitude I would have sigged my dog on ya. You sound like one of the people that were sleeping in the park in NYC. What did they call themselves, the 99% or something like that. You should be grateful that he gave u the 5 bucks, not mad at him for not giving you 300 bucks so that you could go home and lay on the couch.
I came to nobody's house with an attitude. And when I left, nobody knew how I felt about their level of generosity. I thanked everyone for what they gave me.

You are merely proving my point about the generally unpleasant attitude of central Jersey people. You'd have let your dog loose on a kid? Really. People will never cease to amaze me. And by the way, it's spelled "you", not "u".

I never slept in the park in NYC. But the "Occupy" people had at least one thing right... and that is, when lots of people are struggling, through little/no fault of their own, to afford basic necessities of life, it seems rather inequitable for others to be making bazillions of dollars and not doing anything to help the problem. For example - Hostess lays off its entire workforce and unwinds its operations in bankruptcy, but its CEO still gets millions of dollars after the fact? Guaranteed, the CEO didn't need those millions in order to afford basic necessities of life because he'd been earning many more millions up to that point. However, my guess is that most (if not all) of the 18,000 laid-off workers were, like most Americans, living paycheck to paycheck. Those millions would have been much better spent on the workers, giving them at least something to tide them over until they found another job (which ain't easy in today's America).

If people were more generous, we wouldn't have so many leeches trying to suckle at the nipple of government. The poor people who feel like they're being ignored by the greedy rich are the very reason why we have another four years of Obama... why we now have Obamacare... okay, so SOME rich people voted for Obama for social reasons... but statistically, most rich people vote for the Republican guy and most poor people vote for the Democratic guy. It happens every time. We have this gigantic government because of greedy people and because of immoral/evil people. End of story. If people weren't greedy, VERY few people would ever be poor. If people weren't immoral and/or evil, no crime would ever be committed and no wars would ever be fought. People complain about gigantic government but fail to realize that, most of the time, the cause of it is staring at them when they look in the mirror.

Just look at the Amish. They don't use insurance, they don't use Social Security, they don't vote, they rarely use public schools (and even if they do, I'm sure it's because they're forced to pay property taxes as everyone else is... if they didn't have to pay for the schools, they'd probably do private schooling as they always used to), they don't fight in wars... most of them don't use ANYTHING that the government offers, at all. They may run their buggies on public paved roads but that's only because that's all that's available anymore. They'd be perfectly fine with using private or unmaintained dirt roads as they always did.

If "our current American way" was the right way to live, the Amish should be dying off in droves. Instead, the exact opposite thing is happening... they are one of the fastest-growing groups of people in America, and their life expectancy is the same as that of regular Americans.

All of the responses I've gotten here merely prove the point I made in the beginning. I'm enjoying this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so thats all you are gonna give me? $25 to some lady?
$25 to some lady ON THAT ONE DAY. That was but one day in the entirety of 2012. But to think that way would have tamped down your indignance and weakened the ammunition you think you have against me... so it doesn't surprise me that you conveniently overlooked that fact.

It is FAR from the extent of my 2012 giving. I tithe 10% as the Bible says I should, which goes to various churches including my own... that amounts to thousands of dollars. (How many of you people, who attack me as being so blah blah blah blah blah, give 10% of your income to church or to anything else?) As for volunteer work, I give 6-7 hours EVERY WEEK in the form of playing on the praise team in my church (an unpaid position). With my work schedule, it ain't easy finding much time to volunteer for anything in addition to that... but I still do. Yesterday I gave 1 1/2 hours and $15 so that a student of mine could play music with me at one of my gigs and in so doing become a "professional musician". Stop attacking my generosity just so you can feel better about yourself, Captain. Everyone can see through that if they choose to look.

Around here, the homeless are homeless of their own volition. A perfect example of the state of most beggars around here is illustrated in the following true exchange between me and a homeless guy, as I was in the drive-up line at McDonald's last year:

Homeless guy: (approaching my car) "Hey, would you happen to have some change to help me buy peanut butter? That's what I usually eat, and there's a Family Dollar just across the road. If it helps you to know this, I am Christian... but that's what I usually eat... peanut butter out of the jar."

Me: "I'm not going to give you money for food, but I will give you food. Meet me at the other end of the line after I pick up my order and I'll give you a burger."

Homeless guy: "W-well..... I really don't eat meat."

Me: "Okay, then I'll give you a salad."

Homeless guy: "W-well..... I really don't eat that either."

Me: "In that case, I don't think you really need my money for food." (And on that note, I rolled my window up.)

You and I both know what he REALLY wanted to spend his money on.... the same old stuff... cigarettes and booze. So, no, I don't volunteer to feed the homeless. I will feed them when they stop smoking and drinking, and do whatever they can to get work. Around here, people on food stamps will sell their food stamp cards for money so they can buy cigarettes, booze and drugs. I'm not going to help people who don't want to help themselves.

Donations for Sandy? Ain't happening, because there are scams out the ying-yang and even the well-known relief organizations are mired in costly bureaucracy which means that my donation will be lucky to get to its intended recipients even close to intact. If I lived in the affected area, I would help people clean up, for sure. When I lived in PA, I always helped people clean up after storms... usually snowstorms. I'd shovel and salt the sidewalk for my entire block so that the elderly people on the block wouldn't have to.

Quote:
i dont think you should feel obligated to give away any of your money. but you have been talking yourself up about being such a wonderful and generous person, i expected a better response than that. also, dont come back and tell me you didnt want to take so much time writing out all the examples; your last couple of posts have been novels so you clearly have no problem taking time to write everything you feel like saying.
The operative term here, my dear Captain, is "everything I FEEL LIKE SAYING". I didn't take time writing out all of the examples because I have no desire to brag about myself... translation: I didn't feel like saying it. Being a braggart is not who I am. If I DID take time to write out all of the examples, some of the snobs on this thread would have attacked me in terms like "Oh, so you think you're so great because you did all of this stuff? A little full of yourself, are you?" Since I can't win regardless of whether I give a full list of my acts of generosity or not, I choose to be true to myself and keep away from bragging. If that isn't enough and you can't trust me, oh well, yet again, you're proving the original point I made in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
RomaniGypsy, if everyone seems to be missing your point, it's not everyone who has the problem.
Everyone, save for a few select people, missed Jesus Christ's point when He was alive... and by comparison, what they did to Him BECAUSE they missed His point was much worse than a bunch of blathering by point-missers on an online forum. But I guess it was Jesus who had the problem, rather than the people who convicted and crucified Him, by your logic!

Quote:
You came across as entitled, condescending, and bitter.
Try fine-tuning yourself a bit, so that you will read and digest everything I write rather than seeing only what you're looking for.

Quote:
The posters on this thread are hardly the targets for your anger against greedy people. I don't know anyone who lives in Colts Neck, but it's never acceptable to smear an entire town or people or group because of what one or two people have done. If your screen name is representative of anything more than a fantasy, you of all people should know that.

We tend to see what we look for. Maybe you need to adjust your point of view.
Gee, the pot calling the kettle black?

Stereotypes exist because they're largely true. I lived in Colts Neck for long enough to say with absolute certainty that it is, on average, a town where the majority of the population is greedy snobs. Some people who live there are not snobbish, such as the "old guard" that's been there forever (but you conveniently overlooked that because to consider it would have reduced your indignance toward me... I guess some people thrive on indignance). This is not about what one or two people have done. I went to school with Colts Neck kids. I worked with Colts Neck kids at a store in Colts Neck. I taught music lessons in Colts Neck. I have driven probably every street in the entire town. I have seen the "evolution" of the town since having moved there in 1988. I said almost all of this in previous posts. But again, conveniently disregarding this to make your argument is the only way you can make an argument. I'm enjoying this quite a bit, as it thoroughly proves the point I made in my first post. Y'all are doing so much better by being examples than my assertions that there are examples could ever be. Many thanks.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:56 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
^^^ So when it comes down to it, you're just another unpleasant, unkind, Internet schmoe hiding behind the anonymity of his computer screen to exercise the joy of nastiness. I answered you politely and tried to have a intelligent conversation, but you are so full of your own self-righteous self-importance and are just hell-bent on arguing and being nasty for the sake of arguing and being nasty. On ignore you go. I have no patience for people like you. Why in God's name someone gets so much happiness out of being hateful I will never understand. And putting yourself on a level with Jesus...oh my. You poor, suffering martyr.

Bye.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:31 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I didn't take time writing out all of the examples because I have no desire to brag about myself... translation: I didn't feel like saying it. Being a braggart is not who I am.
thats funny considering you have said multiple times how good and generous of a person you are.

it just seems strange to me that someone who volunteers and donates money could be so hateful and angry. i guess you have been raised to be jealous of these people and have developed a hatred of people with money. i think when you grow up and have a family of your own, you will calm down a bit and start putting things into better perspective.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 12-29-2012 at 11:47 AM..

Old 12-29-2012, 12:12 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
thats funny considering you have said multiple times how good and generous of a person you are.

it just seems strange to me that someone who volunteers and donates money could be so hateful and angry. i guess you have been raised to be jealous of these people and have developed a hatred of people with money. i think when you grow up and have a family of your own, you will calm down a bit and start putting things into better perspective.
You hit the nail on the head, But, he was pretty nasty and hateful to ME, and I sure as heck don't have any money! I bet if he saw where I live in my little 942 s.f. condo, he'd sniff and drive away like he was gonna catch something. Some people love to be miserable, though, and the Internet makes it easy to hide behind and say rude things they'd never say to a person in real life. I have no tolerance for that schtick. Those types all go on my ignore list.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:14 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
You hit the nail on the head, But, he was pretty nasty and hateful to ME, and I sure as heck don't have any money! I bet if he saw where I live in my little 942 s.f. condo, he'd sniff and drive away like he was gonna catch something. Some people love to be miserable, though, and the Internet makes it easy to hide behind and say rude things they'd never say to a person in real life. I have no tolerance for that schtick. Those types all go on my ignore list.
it was kind of funny how he decided that we were all now examples of the rich people that he hates so much.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:58 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,905 times
Back to the topic at hand here...

Anyone have thoughts on Colts Neck as a place to live? We'd be looking in the $800's.
I like the proximity to the beach (but not too close!)...but are the areas still low-lying (ie, is water in basement an issue in many houses there?), the newer houses with pools, etc.

Any thoughts on the schools, or experiences to share? The rating seems only "OK" at #103 but I have to think with the socioeconomic level, it'd be higher. I'm guessing some of the smart students going to private schools and the academies.

Also, any thoughts on Christian Brothers Academy? May consider this for one kid.

Also, just wondering how a northern NJ family would fit in...is it 99% Staten Island or a mix? We just want to be around nice, regular families.

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2013, 07:44 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Back to the topic at hand here...

Anyone have thoughts on Colts Neck as a place to live? We'd be looking in the $800's.
I like the proximity to the beach (but not too close!)...but are the areas still low-lying (ie, is water in basement an issue in many houses there?), the newer houses with pools, etc.

Any thoughts on the schools, or experiences to share? The rating seems only "OK" at #103 but I have to think with the socioeconomic level, it'd be higher. I'm guessing some of the smart students going to private schools and the academies.

Also, any thoughts on Christian Brothers Academy? May consider this for one kid.

Also, just wondering how a northern NJ family would fit in...is it 99% Staten Island or a mix? We just want to be around nice, regular families.

Thanks!
For low $800s, you can get a sizable house in Colts Neck. (Why do you need to live in this area? Are you tied to a nearby town for work?)

Water in the basement is an issue depending upon the location of the house... it can vary from house to house on the same street. Fairly high water table in that area, so understand that you'll need a good working sump pump.

All houses are on well & septic... no municipal water / sewer services in Colts Neck.

I don't know how the schools are these days, but you can check my earlier posts for how they were in the 1990's. They seemed to get a bit worse when my younger brother was in school... for example, the gifted & talented program used to be accelerated classes that were graded... when he went to school, they changed it to, basically, an additional class that required extra work but did not get a grade.

Colts Neck is not 99% Staten Island transplants.

However, if you want to get a feel for how "nice" the people are, I issue you caution... just look at what has spewed forth from some of those people in previous posts. I don't know if they're Colts Neck residents, but that attitude is not relegated to Colts Neck. I can assure you, the content of many of the previous posts in this thread is perfectly representative of the main reason why I left, and the main reason why nobody could pay me enough to go back. There are much nicer areas of the USA, than central Jersey.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:10 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,527 times
Not going to comment on the flame war going on in this thread, but a SF home costing over $800K that will definitely be running on contaminated well water and overflowing septic is totally unacceptable!

Anyone that thinks this is acceptable is either doped up on crack or something else, or is in serious need of psychiatric evaluation!

Last edited by HubCityMadMan; 01-02-2013 at 08:21 PM..

Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,768 times
Well, the cause for which I was raising funds was my high school marching band, and each of us was tasked with raising the money for our portion of the cost to go to the big competition at the end of the year. Therefore, I had a goal... and once I hit that goal, I had no further reason to raise money. And really, when you make THAT MUCH MONEY, and can afford to drive a car that costs as much as a substantially-sized house, it's a drop in the ocean to give some high school kid, whose family lives across the street from you, a couple hundred for his school marching band fundraiser. Everything is relative.[/quote]

im sorry but you cant expect people to just donate hundreds of dollars to YOUR cause, no matter how rich. you should be grateful he even donated anything at all. plus you can just make assumptions based on one person who didnt donate their whole wallet to your high school cause. if he just went around donated hundreds of dollars to every high schooler asking for a donation, he wouldn't be that rich now would he?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey