Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:18 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,977,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Flame on indeed.................... This is not twitter. You can't trend on C-D with incendiary statements.
If you think for one second that North Jersey has the limited entertainment venues of Staten Island; I don't know what to tell you. You should get out more.
Stop speaking for NJ.

Post of the week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 07:34 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,925 times
I disagree with Kimchee on 3 points. A house in NNJ in general is MORE expensive than a comparable house in Queens, not less expensive. Secondly, almost everybody in Queens has a car. Thirdly, I think NNJ has more nightlife options than Queens. The only real nightlife "hubs" in Queens are Astoria and LIC, but I don't think they are much to write home about.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:29 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,124,991 times
tommy, I'll like to know when's the last time you've been in Queens or if you have even tried house hunting there....

I still visit every other month and have been on and off shopping for a house in Queens for years ...

OP, it's hard to answer your question about JC and comp. areas in Queens since there's really no town in Queens like JC. If you're still interested in Queens, visiting firsthand is the best way to determine if it's the right place for you. You'll know when you visit if the area is right for you.

Try Forest Hills, Rego Park and Astoria first since those are probably your best bets...

Old 02-10-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
tommy, I'll like to know when's the last time you've been in Queens or if you have even tried house hunting there....

I still visit every other month and have been on and off shopping for a house in Queens for years ...

OP, it's hard to answer your question about JC and comp. areas in Queens since there's really no town in Queens like JC. If you're still interested in Queens, visiting firsthand is the best way to determine if it's the right place for you. You'll know when you visit if the area is right for you.

Try Forest Hills, Rego Park and Astoria first since those are probably your best bets...
I know Queens pretty well. Are you telling me that a 3 or 4 bedroom house in a suburbanish part of Queens (let's use the Fresh Meadows area) would cost more than a nearly identical house in suburbanish town in NJ, let's say in Leonia? What about taxes? In a similar neighborhood in Northern NJ, a home's taxes would likely be double that of Queens.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:06 PM

224 posts, read 675,775 times
I was raised in Queens, currently live here, and know it inside-out. Anyone who tells you New Jersey is generally more expensive is 100% wrong. You cannot buy a decent detached house in a decent part of Queens for less than $600 K. My father's house in Elmhurst is on a 20 x 80 lot, was built in 1920, is falling apart, and was recently appraised at $520 K. Three blocks away transsexual hookers hang out on the corner and the area is so transient you never know what to expect. Meanwhile, for $400 K, you can get a significantly better house in, say, Fort Lee, a "nice" neighborhood with easy access to Manhattan.

If you want to live in a nice house in Astoria, Forest Hills, Flushing, Kew Gardens, Bayside, Little Neck, Douglaston, you're talking $800 K and up.

As for nightlife, Queens isn't exactly known for its nightlife. Aside from Astoria, Forest Hills, Flushing, and Bayside, there isn't much nightlife. But as opposed to New Jersey, there is way more nightlife and you don't need to drive to get there. Plus, Manhattan is right there too. You can get into Manhattan from Western Queens in under 10 minutes. The same can't be said for Jersey.

Overall, it all depends on your personal tastes, preferences, and wallet. If you want a city/suburban mix with decent schools and easy access to Manhattan, guess what, you're going to pay out the nose for it. If you have children, New Jersey is better than Queens. If you're young or single, Queens, Brooklyn, downtown JC, and Hoboken are the way to go. Again, it all depends on what you want.

Queens by itself is like the fourth biggest city in the country. Can't really compare it to New Jersey.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:40 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,633,459 times
Queenskid-That's good to know. I am not trying to buy a house though, only a condo plus NJ property taxes add a lot to the property cost in the long run.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:22 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,124,991 times
If you're really thinking of buying in Queens, you may want to just rent for a year esp. if you're not sure about the area.

Also, keep in mind in if you're buying, like Manhattan and Brooklyn, there are alot more coops than condos in Queens. I would not recommend buying a coop just because there are so many rules regarding what you can do to your place. Also you have to deal with a coop board which can be a nightmare. I know people who have own coops and have problems selling because the coop has rejected all their applicants...

Old 02-12-2012, 11:23 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,299,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
I lived in Queens and northern NJ so can answer your question. Below are what I can think of for now...

Queens:
- cheaper commute to city via subway
- more walkable areas
- car may not be needed

Northern NJ:
- more expensive commute to city via Path/NJ transit trains and bus
- car is necessary for outings
Generally true on average, but it REALLY depends. If you live in Jersey City, Hoboken, or Harrison, your commute is cheapest ($65/month for PATH vs. $104/month MTA). People farther out into NJ have to pay more for commuter rail, but the same is true in eastern Queens. I work in Midtown and have the second-lowest commuting cost in the office, behind only the guy who bikes to work from Gramercy. A coworker who lives in Forest Hills pays a ton for a monthly LIRR ticket.

Also, a car is not necessary in JC/Hob, but is totally necessary in parts of Queens.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKid View Post
I was raised in Queens, currently live here, and know it inside-out. Anyone who tells you New Jersey is generally more expensive is 100% wrong. You cannot buy a decent detached house in a decent part of Queens for less than $600 K. My father's house in Elmhurst is on a 20 x 80 lot, was built in 1920, is falling apart, and was recently appraised at $520 K. Three blocks away transsexual hookers hang out on the corner and the area is so transient you never know what to expect. Meanwhile, for $400 K, you can get a significantly better house in, say, Fort Lee, a "nice" neighborhood with easy access to Manhattan.

If you want to live in a nice house in Astoria, Forest Hills, Flushing, Kew Gardens, Bayside, Little Neck, Douglaston, you're talking $800 K and up.

As for nightlife, Queens isn't exactly known for its nightlife. Aside from Astoria, Forest Hills, Flushing, and Bayside, there isn't much nightlife. But as opposed to New Jersey, there is way more nightlife and you don't need to drive to get there. Plus, Manhattan is right there too. You can get into Manhattan from Western Queens in under 10 minutes. The same can't be said for Jersey.

Overall, it all depends on your personal tastes, preferences, and wallet. If you want a city/suburban mix with decent schools and easy access to Manhattan, guess what, you're going to pay out the nose for it. If you have children, New Jersey is better than Queens. If you're young or single, Queens, Brooklyn, downtown JC, and Hoboken are the way to go. Again, it all depends on what you want.

Queens by itself is like the fourth biggest city in the country. Can't really compare it to New Jersey.
Your post is very generalized. For example, in Hoboken and downtown Jersey City, you cannot really buy a house for under $1 Million dollars (although there are a few deals to be had these days). And I have never been to a Queens neighborhood with more nightlife than Hoboken.

Can you show me an example of a Queens house, and then post an example of a similar house (in size, bedroom #, and lot size) in NJ that is cheaper?

Old 02-14-2012, 10:53 AM

312 posts, read 685,881 times
Do you work in New York City? If so, keep in mind that you will have to pay NYC taxes on your income. You do not have to pay these in NJ. I don't know what the rate is, but it could be significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey