Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:43 AM

76 posts, read 242,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rons_sacramental View Post
Thank you for reply.
Nope I wont be hanging out in the surroundings. Its going to be campus to train station and vice versa .
It's not unsafe if that's all you do. Just use your common sense. One student going to night classes at NJIT was mugged in an alley. Obviously, don't walk alone through dark places. Other than that, you just might be accosted by bums asking for handouts, but that's happened to me in every large city I lived or worked in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 11:37 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

As the title says is Newark area around the Rutgers/NJIT university area safe?

Few things you might want to know -

I just got accepted into RU Newark and will also get into NJIT so I am going to choose from either.

I am not going to stay in dorm and would be travelling from NJ either by car or by train.

And also I would be taking mostly morning/afternoon classes and not night classes.

So if I plan to travel by train is it safe journey from the train station to the university??

Also I have seen the Newark area little bit when I used to be driver for blood pick up and I did not find it safe. Do not have idea about the area surrounding the university.

So from a perspective of a student what would you suggest ?

Thanks in advance
Edit - Read other posts regarding this but they are from 2009 and its 3 years so need some recent information.
I'm usually one to look down on Newark for safety reasons and sometimes got flack on that from this board.

However, my sister went back to school as an adult full-time at NJIT in Newark (she got her degree at the age of 45) and she never had a problem. Just be aware of your surroundings, and you should be fine.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:43 AM

126 posts, read 423,388 times
Keep your iDevice in your pocket and the headphones off while you're walking around. Keep an eye on your surroundings and you'll be fine. Don't make yourself look like a distracted easy victim with something worth taking.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:24 PM

292 posts, read 718,913 times
Its dangerous at night (past 8:00 or so probably)

I'd try to go to Rutgers New Brunswick if possible

Old 02-10-2012, 01:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartone View Post

No, it's not. Where he goes should really be based on what he wants to study. Rutgers New Brunswick doesn't have much to offer other than name and location.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:43 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:

Its not anymore dangerous then NYU or University city....

Old 02-11-2012, 08:22 PM

376 posts, read 665,624 times
well, all i have to say is don't do anything you wouldn't do in a place you're not familar with. use your street smarts. act like you want to be a robbery victim and you'll become a robbery victim. another thing too, you can tell who isn't from around that area by how they act and carry themselves. just act aware and not like someone from west bubbletuck and you'll be good.

Quote:

actually, rutgers new brunswick is probably more dangerous than the newark campus from what i looked at with the crime stats. it's a much bigger campus.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:09 AM

7 posts, read 53,314 times
Thank You all for your valuable input.

From all the replies I think-

No place is safe and its always better to be cautious.

If I am taking mostly morning/afternoon classes and travelling by train then it is not a problem at all. Also as mentioned by someone I will be getting 25% discount on NJ Transit passes which would save me lot of gas/parking money too.

And also I read on RU website that they run bus service from penn station to RU and there is a bus every 15min. So that is a plus point for me. I would board from Meteropark station and then take the buss from penn to college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
No, it's not. Where he goes should really be based on what he wants to study. Rutgers New Brunswick doesn't have much to offer other than name and location.
So true I want to study in a small college where I would know people and professors. I dont care about the ranking or the name of college like RU NB has. I want to learn and graduate. I don't even think about the job. I have also heard that RU NB is just over rated and that one class have 300 people in it which I personally cannot handle.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:13 AM

7 posts, read 53,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I've spent a great deal of time in Newark and I don't think it's safe, even in the NJIT area. Sure there is both Newark and Campus police, but incidents still happen, a lot. If you are taking the train then you don't need to worry about your car being broken into, vandalized or stolen, which is probably the most likely thing that you should worry about. But make no mistake, there are still plenty of "strong armed robberies" in the area of the campus, and there are also plenty of vagrants who harass you if you don't give them something.
Thank You

Good to know about armed robberies.

If I end up going RU/NJIT have decided not to wear any gold items or anything costly (just to be on safer side) and keep eyes open and mind my own business.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:56 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
So true I want to study in a small college where I would know people and professors. I dont care about the ranking or the name of college like RU NB has. I want to learn and graduate. I don't even think about the job. I have also heard that RU NB is just over rated and that one class have 300 people in it which I personally cannot handle.
Out of RU and NJIT.... NJIT has the better Professor-student relationship. If you really want to get involved in the professor's line or research and have opportunities in the academic realm during your undergraduate studies, NJIT is definitely the better option (from that perspective).

However, Rutgers Newark has the girls.

Newark is completely safe in that area. I honestly wouldn't worry about it AT ALL as long as you don't go too far from campus at 3am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey