Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2007, 01:44 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times

Advertisements

I don't care if my friend has a passport or not, I care she is my friend.
I don't care what their job is, or their position is, I care for her as a person.
Her character, her spirit, her humbleness, her non-materialistic ways.
It doesn't interest me if my neighbors are train conductors, or CEO's......they are my friends. Their job or position doesnt' matter. That they might be there for me in a flood, or an emergency means more then what they do for their living.
Their car!......Why should I care what my friend drives. I care that she drives safely. I care that she gets from A to B without and accident. I do not care what she is sitting in. Just please, my friend, drive safely, and return to your family at the end of a day.
I'm happy my young friend from Misouri is going to Hawaii. It doesn't mean she is rich, most cruises all of us can afford. I care that she smiled last week telling me about it.
That it will make her life more enriched, and I smile back at that.
My daughter owns a boat. What makes her rich with this boat, is that her children go out and enjoy the outdoors, the lake, the grounds along the state park.
She is rich, rich in making memories for her boys and us too.
I'm going into NYC next month. Will I come home. Yes, because we live in a great country with much going for it. We survived the horror of people flying on wings of hate. I won't let them win!
I'm glad your happy in Nashville........but the material things you mentioned won't go with you at the end of your journey of time on this earth.
Love of family, friends, memories, time well spent........will linger long after the things that appear so glorious, rot and crumble.
Finding happiness in more then money, houses, cars, and possessions....is the best that life can give you. Then your soul can truely be happy.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:22 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,189,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
My best friend in my subdivision here owns 2 mercedes., one a station wagon, one a Convertable. She is from the San Fransisco bay area orginally but moved here from Chicago. She also lived in North Jersey 15 years.
I'm going on a Med cruise next year. My friend is thinking about one, going to the Greek islands. One of my friends is now in Ireland and Scotland.
People here own boats that they dock at our many lakes and rivers.

Diane

Now who's being a snob?

Old 09-23-2007, 02:44 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I don't care if my friend has a passport or not, I care she is my friend.
I don't care what their job is, or their position is, I care for her as a person.
Her character, her spirit, her humbleness, her non-materialistic ways.
It doesn't interest me if my neighbors are train conductors, or CEO's......they are my friends. Their job or position doesnt' matter. That they might be there for me in a flood, or an emergency means more then what they do for their living.
Their car!......Why should I care what my friend drives. I care that she drives safely. I care that she gets from A to B without and accident. I do not care what she is sitting in. Just please, my friend, drive safely, and return to your family at the end of a day.
I'm happy my young friend from Misouri is going to Hawaii. It doesn't mean she is rich, most cruises all of us can afford. I care that she smiled last week telling me about it.
That it will make her life more enriched, and I smile back at that.
My daughter owns a boat. What makes her rich with this boat, is that her children go out and enjoy the outdoors, the lake, the grounds along the state park.
She is rich, rich in making memories for her boys and us too.
I'm going into NYC next month. Will I come home. Yes, because we live in a great country with much going for it. We survived the horror of people flying on wings of hate. I won't let them win!
I'm glad your happy in Nashville........but the material things you mentioned won't go with you at the end of your journey of time on this earth.
Love of family, friends, memories, time well spent........will linger long after the things that appear so glorious, rot and crumble.
Finding happiness in more then money, houses, cars, and possessions....is the best that life can give you. Then your soul can truely be happy.
If you read the post that caused me to write it instead of the usual Jersey ranting, then you would know why I wrote it. She said her neighbors drove pick up trucks and had no jobs. I say she was lying because one of my customers used to live in Virginia beach, had to move closer to washington for Job relocation, and she's a CPA. She said she had nice neighbors and enjoyed living there. They misses the country feel there when her job forced her to move.
So try reading instead of ranting.
My daughter is in college and has friends that live on farms, does that make them inferior, no.They hapen to be bright and have a good future awaiting them.
I don't happen to because my friends are where I live and go to church. There really are not many poor people in Brentwood.
Diane

Old 09-23-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
My friends here not only own passports but have lived in different parts of the world. One lived in Japan and Tawain .She owns a $800,000 home here. He husband has been transfered all over. She hopes to stay here now, She likes it. She only pays $4500 taxes on that home . Her husband is a VP at Catapillar Financial, a real Job.
I also have many friends here that came with the Nissan relocation, also a real Job. They are in Brentwood, so taxes are less, she's in Green Hills so more pricy.
All of my neighbors hold executive positions. They would be living in less expensive parts of Nashville if they didn't, like east Nashville, . But NJ has that also, go south or very north or in the inner cities.
My best friend in my subdivision here owns 2 mercedes., one a station wagon, one a Convertable. She is from the San Fransisco bay area orginally but moved here from Chicago. She also lived in North Jersey 15 years.
I'm going on a Med cruise next year. My friend is thinking about one, going to the Greek islands. One of my friends is now in Ireland and Scotland.
People here own boats that they dock at our many lakes and rivers.
I rather be here than NJ any day, and now I don't have to worry that my husband won't make it home from NYC, which I do on the days he must fly their on business. BTW, his companies main office is here in Nashville.

Diane

Diane,
I've thought more about what you're trying to convey, and I think I might actually understand a bit more of what you're expressing. I truly believe that you probably thought a lot of people in NJ were snobs because those specific people had more or flaunted more than you have (or had). Now that you're in TN you actually have more disposable income, hence more buying power, and are able to spend on more things. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. My husband and I too did well when we left the NY area for Vegas. We always had cash, bought whatever we wanted and went out to dinner whenever we felt like it. But, ultimately, we missed our friends in NY, and are currently trying to work out a way to go back (probably to NJ since Long Island is just unattainable for us at this time). No, NJ may not be perfect, but what is?

I do feel for you regarding your concern when your husband travels to NY. And, although I'm not religious, I really think you should just have faith that he'll be OK.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you live in an $800,000 home or an $80,000 trailer, or if you're the VP of Caterpillar or a busperson at McDonalds. All that matters is that you are happy with where you are in life, or else you need to make a plan to correct it.

Cherie

Old 09-23-2007, 03:32 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
Diane,
I've thought more about what you're trying to convey, and I think I might actually understand a bit more of what you're expressing. I truly believe that you probably thought a lot of people in NJ were snobs because those specific people had more or flaunted more than you have (or had). Now that you're in TN you actually have more disposable income, hence more buying power, and are able to spend on more things. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. My husband and I too did well when we left the NY area for Vegas. We always had cash, bought whatever we wanted and went out to dinner whenever we felt like it. But, ultimately, we missed our friends in NY, and are currently trying to work out a way to go back (probably to NJ since Long Island is just unattainable for us at this time). No, NJ may not be perfect, but what is?

I do feel for you regarding your concern when your husband travels to NY. And, although I'm not religious, I really think you should just have faith that he'll be OK.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you live in an $800,000 home or an $80,000 trailer, or if you're the VP of Caterpillar or a busperson at McDonalds. All that matters is that you are happy with where you are in life, or else you need to make a plan to correct it.

Cherie
Cherie,
I am from LI, but most of our family has moved to Florida, My cousins, my husbands's brother. Both of our parents are gone and so are our Aunts and Uncles. My sister is one of the few left and she lives in Baldwin, LI. Her taxes on a cape with a finished dormer are $9,000 yet Baldwin just made money magazine as a desireable place to live. When she retires she won't be able to afford to stay.
My husband changed jobs a year before we moved because he had the choice to relocate with this job. It paid more than his previous position of 27 years. He would not leave that 1st job even though he was being recruted for this one because it offered a cushion of security that no one would match. When we came into a considerable sum of money, he decided to take the new position and it truely paid off. We could have stayed but we would have to move anyway. There is no way I was staying in a house that caused me such grief from that oil leak.
I really believe he'll be fine when he goes overnight to NYC, but I pray anyway. We are close to that because he was supposed to orginally be there that day.
I have to say I don't feel the dislike for LI , what I feel for NJ, Because my 2 children were born there. I also grew up there and I found the people there friendly. When I moved to NJ, alot of my neighbors there were doing the Florida route.
I do have friends in NJ, but being in my Mid 50s they will move from there also, so eventially there will be none left. I'm happy here and have many new friends. I even have friends from London here. We have so many that moved from there on Job relocations. There are people here from everywhere, while in NJ most were from NY, NJ , or Pennsylvania.
Diane

Old 09-23-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Cherie,
I have to say I don't feel the dislike for LI , what I feel for NJ, Because my 2 children were born there. I also grew up there and I found the people there friendly. When I moved to NJ, alot of my neighbors there were doing the Florida route.
I do have friends in NJ, but being in my Mid 50s they will move from there also, so eventially there will be none left. I'm happy here and have many new friends. I even have friends from London here. We have so many that moved from there on Job relocations. There are people here from everywhere, while in NJ most were from NY, NJ , or Pennsylvania.
Diane
Diane,

I guess there's really no talking to you. Whether you want to admit it or not, you're probably just as hard-headed as the next person.

1. Florida is not the paradise everyone thinks it is. We made a very unwise choice in moving here. However, I'm not going to say I hate the state because of my misfortune.
2. You say that most people in NJ are from NY, NJ or Pennsylvania like it's a bad thing. So then how do the TN people feel about those from the Northeast moving there? You've got to realize that people are people, there's good and bad everywhere. And, I would bet my last dollar that alot of those nice friends you've made in TN are really a bunch of phonies. At least with NY/NJ people you'll usually know where you stand. Also, most will give you the shirt off their back if you need it.

Cherie

Old 09-23-2007, 04:32 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,458,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I had to edit this post because I can't believe it, but...there really is a Ninja burglar in Staten Island. (broken link)

Even though you said you were serious...I still thought you were kidding, Brian. Pretty bizarre stuff, huh?

I would not lie to you girls and guys

(put the women first again)

Old 09-23-2007, 04:36 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,458,842 times
A Lot Of Speed Bumps Today!!!

Old 09-23-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
Get me a neck brace...I think I've got whiplash!

Old 09-23-2007, 04:56 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
LMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey