Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 07:38 PM

135 posts, read 370,554 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I only heard recently on the internet of all places, that there's actually a "rivalry" between NY (Or is it more precisely NYC??) and NJ. I don't understand it at all. I grew up visiting NYC all the time, and I was never aware of this. Up here in North Jersey (especially in my county) many of us go there to visit, and many NYers come here for our shopping centers and beaches. I thought we were pals! I like New Yorkers and I thought they liked us. I do hear however that people from Manhattan don't like us, but then again I hear they even look down on people from other boroughs of New York (I'm not saying it's true..I just heard that). We're "bridge and tunnel" people, but that doesn't make us bad. I've been around the country and the world, and New Jersey people are very nice and have a good sense of humor. Many New Yorkers do too. Even though sports teams take the NY name, many of them represent the NYC Metropolitan area, which consists of this part of NJ. Their stadiums are here, they train and play here. I don't care too much that they take the NY, but as long as NYers are happy to share them with us...it's only fair (I'm a soccer fan, so go NY Red Bulls!). If people could add some input, I'd appreciate it. Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 05:29 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
As with all stereotypes, there are probably a few people who fit the description. And as with all stereotypes, if one starts lumping everyone who belongs to a particular group together and assigning them all the same characters instead of taking each person as an individual, then one is an idiot.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:50 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,799 times
A lot of NY'ers grew up with the attitude that Jersey was a swamp & a dump (basically what they've seen from Exits 16 through 13) and nothing else. Thinks of the old SNL "You from Joisey, I'm from Joisey...what exit?" spoof. Smart NY'ers know about the shore, the horse country and the hills out west. But the NY provincial attitude is strong, even for recent transplants who have been in NYC for 5 minutes.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:54 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,161,655 times
I hate both equally.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:04 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,585,906 times
NJ and NY are almost like twin states..

NY has much more in common with NJ than with other states/provinces.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:49 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,007 times
The transplants can be worse than "native" New Yorkers.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:56 AM

135 posts, read 370,554 times
I hear often that most New Yorkers actually have a good attitude towards New Jersey and embrace it as a sibling state..but it's the people that move there from a more obscure state, and then develop a superiority complex because now they live in NYC. It just seems to be some Manhattan people though, lol.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:18 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,793,722 times
I would argue the real rancor is reserved for New Yorkers, and the detractors come from Philadelphia. New Jersey just happens to reside in both MSAs, giving people in that state a unique perspective.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:32 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
growing up, we lived in nj and i had cousins living in manhattan. they would speak very negatively of nj. i didnt really understand how they could speak negatively about where i live considering i had a big house, lots of land and a beautiful surrounding area and to me they lived in an apartment in an area that looked like a sewer i figured it was some kind of mechanism they used to make them feel better about where they lived.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:52 PM

402 posts, read 752,061 times
I'm at the point in my life I don't care anymore. When I go visit family in NY and they start making jersey jokes, I just ask them about all the NY License plates at our beaches and they laugh. I think it's all in fun. That's the conclusion that I came to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey