Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 06:56 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielNJ View Post
Hey everyone, I only heard recently on the internet of all places, that there's actually a "rivalry" between NY (Or is it more precisely NYC??) and NJ. I don't understand it at all. I grew up visiting NYC all the time, and I was never aware of this. Up here in North Jersey (especially in my county) many of us go there to visit, and many NYers come here for our shopping centers and beaches. I thought we were pals! I like New Yorkers and I thought they liked us. I do hear however that people from Manhattan don't like us, but then again I hear they even look down on people from other boroughs of New York (I'm not saying it's true..I just heard that). We're "bridge and tunnel" people, but that doesn't make us bad. I've been around the country and the world, and New Jersey people are very nice and have a good sense of humor. Many New Yorkers do too. Even though sports teams take the NY name, many of them represent the NYC Metropolitan area, which consists of this part of NJ. Their stadiums are here, they train and play here. I don't care too much that they take the NY, but as long as NYers are happy to share them with us...it's only fair (I'm a soccer fan, so go NY Red Bulls!). If people could add some input, I'd appreciate it. Thanks everyone.
There is no rivalry. The "bridge and tunnel" stereotype was created by media and shows like Sex in the City, which is about a bunch of insecure Midwestern transplants who claim to be New Yorkers. Native New Yorkers don't have a negative opinion of NJ and vice versa. In fact, if you go to Bergen County, many people there had generations worth of history in NY before they moved over to NJ during the crime wave of the 70's and 80's.

Just look at the sports.. The NY Giants and NY Jets play in the Meadowlands.
New Yorkers and folks in NJ go back and forth all the time for work and play and shopping and can both trace history back to both states. My father was born in NY, so was my grandfather. He moved to NJ but has commuted to midtown now for 20 years. You don't lose something you're born with if you know what I mean. Wheras, transplants from the Midwest who claim to be New Yorkers after a few years and look down on NJ don't realize they're the joke.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 07-11-2014 at 07:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 08:24 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
There is no rivalry. The "bridge and tunnel" stereotype was created by media and shows like Sex in the City, which is about a bunch of insecure Midwestern transplants who claim to be New Yorkers. Native New Yorkers don't have a negative opinion of NJ and vice versa. In fact, if you go to Bergen County, many people there had generations worth of history in NY before they moved over to NJ during the crime wave of the 70's and 80's.

Just look at the sports.. The NY Giants and NY Jets play in the Meadowlands.
New Yorkers and folks in NJ go back and forth all the time for work and play and shopping and can both trace history back to both states. My father was born in NY, so was my grandfather. He moved to NJ but has commuted to midtown now for 20 years. You don't lose something you're born with if you know what I mean. Wheras, transplants from the Midwest who claim to be New Yorkers after a few years and look down on NJ don't realize they're the joke.
Agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey